Screen Door repair? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Pat- thanks for the info- hadn't thought of that. I did send them an email; have never seen a phone number and suspect they only want to communicate via email. Hope you're right as it would be less hassle.
Ross I have 2 numbers
1-866-333-8868. Their help line on instructions
1-8774467180. Is the other number I have
If you need instructions let me know I still have and will print out for you and send . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Not Easy IMO

Struggled to do this replacement and found the instructions lacking and customer support non-existent.

Getting the unit off the door frame wasn't obvious and they say to use a flat head screwdriver. What is really needed is a small flat pry bar which a friend happened to have. After that it was ok until the part about rewinding the spring. Had to undo everything twice before I did it by hand vs. using the tensioner lever as instructed. Do appreciate the advice for the double sided tape needed and used it on the floor track as well after removing to clean and seeing it there as well.

Weird seeing how old the original screen looked compared to the new. Ours had a small tear at the top right corner and still worked yet was giving notice.

By far the worst instructions. There should be a YouTube video!
Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #63

This helped:
Attached Thumbnails
20190626_192330.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #64

Worst part of instructions was the part about remembering which way the spring unwound when removing so you could do in reverse when reassembling. Word to the wise: wind it clockwise 25 times holding on tight! Then carefully insert it before it all unwinds on you.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #65

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Rossue, How did you deal with the excess height - 80" vs 67.5?
We had a stranger's dog use the door with out opening the screen and it ripped off from the left spline (as viewed from the outside looking in). Our hosting schedule requires I fix this ASAP. Thanks, Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ross I have 2 numbers
1-866-333-8868. Their help line on instructions
1-8774467180. Is the other number I have
If you need instructions let me know I still have and will print out for you and send . Pat
Just a heads up regarding phone numbers.
I tried the first one (ending in 8868) This number seems to have been taken over by spammers. Very odd...

The second number was answered by what appears to be an answering service for the SEIKI screen company. The person I talked to indicated that someone would be calling me tomorrow.

Hope that helps someone. I will followup regarding any contact with the company.

--
Alan
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #67

Alan it is a "one size fits all" that you need to cut down.
I took the old out and laid it down next to the new and made my cut with a fine tooth hacksaw.

PM me for an email to someone who knows and will respond eventually. They are horrible at customer service.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Just a heads up regarding phone numbers.
I tried the first one (ending in 8868) This number seems to have been taken over by spammers. Very odd...

The second number was answered by what appears to be an answering service for the SEIKI screen company. The person I talked to indicated that someone would be calling me tomorrow.

Hope that helps someone. I will followup regarding any contact with the company.

--
Alan
Sorry Allan about the first number . Been a while for the numbers . Pat
Old 07-16-2019, 12:03 AM   #69

Alan- sent you contact email. The phone is a joke- I called three times asking for technical support and each time was told my request would be sent yet no one ever called me back until I emailed that individual. Got his address offhandedly and when he called asked me how I got it. Again, unbelievably poor support.

WTH- dclapp@seiki-na.com. Tell Doug Ross sent ya
Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Alan- sent you contact email. The phone is a joke- I called three times asking for technical support and each time was told my request would be sent yet no one ever called me back until I emailed that individual. Got his address offhandedly and when he called asked me how I got it. Again, unbelievably poor support.

WTH- dclapp@seiki-na.com. Tell Doug Ross sent ya
Oh my Ross sorry to you too . Haven’t called since I called to find out what I needed to do with screen door when I installed new flooring .
Hope I don’t need to redo screen anytime soon . Pat
Old 08-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #71

Trailer: 2021 21C, 2019 Chevy Colorado V6
Okay, I need your help with replacement screen cartridge. How.in the world do you remove the screen housing assembly from the mounting bracket. Definitely not obvious.
NellieFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #72

Set you a PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 PM   #73

Trying to help someone and there seems to be an issue with instructions. These were the instructions I got, and ultimately made work. There are definitely some missing tips in removing the unit from the trailer yet these are correct. These were sent to me in an email after I had questions and don't see them on Seiki's site.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seiki replacement instructions.pdf (358.5 KB, 70 views)
Old 08-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021 21C, 2019 Chevy Colorado V6
Which replacement part?

For those who want to repair their Seiki screen doors first make sure which door you have. I made the mistake of ordering the wrong screen mesh replacement cartridge.

A Vista door needs Screen mesh replacement cartridge item HCARMCWHL-1S
While a Vista Plus needs a cartridge item VPRMCWH-1S

And don’t take my word for it, check for yourselves.

From the the following Seiki webpage you should be able to determine which door you have and select the appropriate replacement parts. I’m not sure if Escape used the same doors on all their trailers or not. Previous blog posts to this thread list links to both Vista and Vista Plus doors. Good luck! And thanks Rossue for all your help.

SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Online Shop
NellieFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #75

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieFlower View Post
For those who want to repair their Seiki screen doors first make sure which door you have. I made the mistake of ordering the wrong screen mesh replacement cartridge.

While a Vista Plus needs a cartridge item VPRMCWH-1S

And don’t take my word for it, check for yourselves.

From the the following Seiki webpage you should be able to determine which door you have and select the appropriate replacement parts. I’m not sure if Escape used the same doors on all their trailers or not. Previous blog posts to this thread list links to both Vista and Vista Plus doors. Good luck! And thanks Rossue for all your help.

SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Online Shop
I do see some early posts incorrectly referenced the Vista screen. Verifying is good, but I’m quite sure Escape only used the Vista Plus. I ordered the VPRMCWH-1S and it worked perfectly.
SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts
Old 08-07-2019, 12:26 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I do see some early posts incorrectly referenced the Vista screen. Verifying is good, but I’m quite sure Escape only used the Vista Plus. I ordered the VPRMCWH-1S and it worked perfectly.
SEIKI SCREEN SYSTEMS | Replacement Parts

I will second that. Our Vista Plus replacement cartridge arrived recently - will attempt replacement later this fall.

--
Alan
Old 08-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieFlower View Post
I now have an (incorrect for Escape) HCARMCWHL-1S for Vista (not Vista Plus) that I will be glad to hand over to anyone that wants it.

--
Alan
Old 10-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Thank you all for the information in this thread. I needed to replace my screen after the dogs went through it one too many times. Ordered it per your instructions and it arrived in no time.

Thanks for the tips and knowing "clockwise about 25 turns" took the pressure off that detail! (Mine was 27 turns.) Getting it out of the mounting bracket wasn't that hard and I managed with just a flat headed screwdriver.

Getting it back in the mounting bracket was harder for me since my thumbs are fairly arthritic. Texted my neighbor for help and by the time he arrived I had managed to get it snapped back in by squeezing the cartridge part and the bracket together.

Good to know about the double-sided tape. Mine also had no screws for the top bracket and I was able to find some rug tape as suggested that worked well.

Works just like new! Now I will follow up on some ideas to keep the dogs from going through the new screen.
Thanks again.
Linda
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
Thank you all for the information in this thread. I needed to replace my screen after the dogs went through it one too many times. Ordered it per your instructions and it arrived in no time.

Thanks for the tips and knowing "clockwise about 25 turns" took the pressure off that detail! (Mine was 27 turns.) Getting it out of the mounting bracket wasn't that hard and I managed with just a flat headed screwdriver.

Getting it back in the mounting bracket was harder for me since my thumbs are fairly arthritic. Texted my neighbor for help and by the time he arrived I had managed to get it snapped back in by squeezing the cartridge part and the bracket together.

Good to know about the double-sided tape. Mine also had no screws for the top bracket and I was able to find some rug tape as suggested that worked well.

Works just like new! Now I will follow up on some ideas to keep the dogs from going through the new screen.
Thanks again.
Linda
Good for you fixing your screen ! Pat
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I will second that. Our Vista Plus replacement cartridge arrived recently - will attempt replacement later this fall.
Fall has arrived and I tackled the screen replacement. I took some photos during the reinstall that may help the next person.

First however, my mistakes: 1. Ordered the wrong screen. It must be the "Vista Plus". 2. Pried off the wrong part. Instead of the housing I attempted to pry off the bracket that holds the housing to the trailer. Easy fix and the photos will make this clear. 3. Mixed up some screws during the reassembly. Should have used some tape to hold each screw to its respective part to avoid a mix-up. The instruction manual makes it difficult to tell the screws apart.

Second piece of advice: Before you start get the pry tools and double sided rug tape. Have some solvent to remove the old tape residue. Check that your hacksaw has a fine tooth blade. You will be cutting off roughly a foot of the new screen & metal tube. Plan for a couple of days - this is a slow process.

I started the removal with the floor track - 2 screws and sticky tape hold it down. It was necessary to move (or remove) this in order to take down the vertical catch frame (the part on the other side of the door that holds the screen open). The catch frame removes easily with a few screws. Once the catch frame is out the top rail - the box with the fuzz - can be cut loose. No screws hold this up, only sticky tape attached to the support - a 1/8" thick shelf of fiberglass. The photo shows this pretty clearly.

Once these three pieces are out of the way the fun begins. Removing the main screen holder - Mesh Cartridge - took a lot of force and bad words. Not having any luck at first I attacked the bracket and did some minor bending which I was able to repair. The bracket holds the cartridge very tightly. The instructions suggest using a screwdriver as a pry bar. This might be the easiest solution but will very likely result in scratches. I used some nylon trim removing tools and a hammer. After much pounding I was able to insert the pry bar into the small crack and use leverage to complete the job. Whew...

After I brought the Cartridge in to the house I was able to follow the instructions and remove the actual screen which is wound tightly around a metal tube. Screen and tube should remain attached - don't unwind it. I used to old screen/tube to determine where to cut the new one. Measure twice! You can't go back... Look carefully at the rotation of the screen and the way it goes in and out so the new one has the same orientation. Make drawings.

Now put the new screen back in the various holders and twist the part called the "Spring Adjuster" a nominal 25 to 30 rotations and screw it back into place.

There are a few screws that hold the plastic parts in place. They are not identical so I should have taped them to their respective pieces rather than tossing them in a bowl. Live and learn...

At this point you just follow the instructions in reverse order. You will feel like an expert because you have already mastered the hard parts. Snapping the cartridge back into the bracket did take a fair amount of force. I braced myself in the door frame and was able to manage without too much grief. At this point you will use the rug tape to attach the top rail and some for the bottom track.

Best of luck!
--
Alan
(Photos continue in the next post.)
Attached Thumbnails
Screen - 1.jpeg   Screen - 2.jpg   Screen - 3.jpg   Screen - 4.jpg   Screen - 6.jpg