Screen room interior dimensions? Cook/dining tables? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Screen room interior dimensions? Cook/dining tables?

Hey all,

We're trying to take advantage of some off-season sales on things like tables and chairs to pack in our Future Escape and use in the screen room for cooking, etc (we anticipate using the screen room as a room for our dogs, so we suspect we'll have it up more often than not).

Do any of you pack tables along? Which ones do you recommend? And how big of a table can that room handle?

We have an REI discount coupon and are considering this one, and wondering if it'd fit along the side wall of the screen room as a cooking/prep table. The next question will of course be whether we need a second table (? -- like this one to actually sit and eat at.

Hmm. Give us ideas!

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Screen room interior dimensions? Cook/dining tables?

We have a table just like that, but sold under a different name. Not sure, but I think the one we opted for was a big shorter. I was going back and forth on which one, but as it would be just for the two of us, or use as a side table, we went for the shorter one. It is quite stable for its light weight.

We never got the screen room, I did not want to drill the holes in the trailer for the snaps for something we would not hardly use. We only have one dog, and we tie him out if we have to.

Seeing you have just 7' width (at least on the 19 awning) you don't want too wide of a table if you need room. We have had a full sized picnic table under the awning a few times in the rain, but the back bench is almost to the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Elizebeth, we don't have the screen room - I also did want to have more holes in our Escape. We have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-2624530...7454380&sr=1-2, but we rarely actually use it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

I too have a screen room along the lines of Eric's. I rarely use mine either. I think having it separate from the trailer is the way to go.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

The nice thing about the separate one is that you can put it over the picnic table that most campgrounds already have.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: medora...We have both the screenroom and a porta. dining shelter. Very seldom use either. At this point we usually move every 3-4 days so we don't bother to set them up. This may certainly change with retirement looming. We do however, throw down the mat first and zip out the awning. Within 15 min. we're relaxing in the shade with a cool beverage Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
CHILLIN\'.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM   #7

I think we'd be all over a free standing screen room were it not for our desire to be able to "let the dogs out." Many of you will no doubt our agonizing over our Escape decision early on due our well-loved and amply-sized dogs, both around 72 pounds. They're gentle and would not challenge the screen room, we don't think, and it would sure be nice to just open the door and give 'em a gentle kick outside when we need to move around the trailer, are cooking, etc.
We'd much rather take this lazy/contained route than tying them out.

Looking at the pic Escape Artist posted tho, that area is looking very small -- small enough that I'm now wondering how two dogs + a cook/dining area are going to work. Does anyone happen to have actual dimensions for the screen room? If not I'll shoot Tammy an email today.

I'm assuming that the "extra holes" the screen room require are not a structural/leak issue ... otherwise Tammy and Reace wouldn't be offering this, yeah? What's the down side?

Also, I remember posting and asking about screen rooms and dogs and I got some helpful posts earlier this summer, but if anyone has any new experiences/thoughts to share your input is always golden.

~e
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #8

Elizabeth, you actually responded in your own post to what I was going to address. Seeing the majority of the cooking is usually down outdoors under the awning (other than the BBQ in our case), having the dogs in there may not give you lots of room. I would go give Alf a visit and check out how the size feels.

I am sure that the snaps mounted to the side of the trailer are well weather sealed, and there is definitely no structural issue with them.

I am a bit curious as to how long it takes to set up the screen room, likely not all that much, and no more than a stand alone one.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #9

Thanks, Jim, I think I'm going to email Tammy for screen room dimensions, and when I get the specs I'll post them here.

~e
Old 10-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #10

Hey guys, Tammy emailed and the dimensions are 7'x10' -- I asked in reference to a 17' trailer, I assume the screen room is the same size on all, but I'm not positive about that. The "door" is in the middle of that 10' width.

So not a whole lotta room for tables, etc.

Does anyone out there consistently use the screen room? Seems like most of you either opted out, or got it but rarely use it.

~e
Old 10-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I've got it. Haven't used it, but then I've not camped with black flies and mosquitoes yet. When I do, I will be grateful for it, assuming I can remember how to install it.
Keep in mind that you have to store it when it's not in use. Mine is under the double bed at the rear of my 17B.

baglo
Old 10-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #12

baglo, per storage size -- we talkin' bigger than a breadbox?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I haven't measured it. I haven't seen it in a long time.

But, imagine a tarp 10' X 20 ' ( but not one that's still in the original package ) . . . so ineptly folded, it's about 2' x 3' by 1'.

baglo
Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: medora...Our screen room is in a vinyl carry bag about the size of a large wallomart bag. The screen room has to be as long as your awning tube as that is where the groove for attaching it is!!! Can't be any wider than the awning either.
I'd just like to stay in one place long enough to use ours. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
Hey guys, Tammy emailed and the dimensions are 7'x10' -- I asked in reference to a 17' trailer, I assume the screen room is the same size on all, but I'm not positive about that. The "door" is in the middle of that 10' width.

So not a whole lotta room for tables, etc.

Does anyone out there consistently use the screen room? Seems like most of you either opted out, or got it but rarely use it.

~e
Up here in northern British Columbia, we use ours for both months of summer.
Its fun camping with people that don't have one and watch them swatting and
spraying on multiple layers of bug repellant while smugly having a beverage.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
I imagine it is 7x12 on the 19', that is the size of the awning when open.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #17

Yup, Tammy actually confirmed in a later email that the room matches the awning size, so the 19' and 5.0 will have bigger rooms.

~e
Old 10-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Okay, when we set ours up there is a small gap between the side arms and the awning itself...so bugs gets in that way...Am I setting it up wrong
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I don't know the answer to that one, but as for tables, I got an aluminum 32" x 32" at Walmart (on sale) to augment the one I got at camping world since my son wanted another one that was away from the campground picnic table on which to place the portable gas barbecue. The first one I cover with a plastic tablecloth and hide handy stuff (toys and sealed kid food) underneath. They are lightweight and roll up relatively compactly.