Screen Spline Size - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 21’ Escape
Thanks. Looks like they were caught on the knob attachment. Pushing up and in has helped the gap significantly
Adventures in Nomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #22

I was afraid to push on it and make it worse, so thanks again
Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #23

Looks like some are now fixed.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventures in Nomadness View Post
Looks like some are now fixed.

Our window screens came like that also - the window screens on the rear of the trailer. Just needed to lift up a little and they popped into place. Now when we travel I check when we stop to make sure they didn't pop loose.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #25

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #26

Still have the two next to the bed with gap we can’t fix. Probably leave them closed or use some steel wool.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #27

Just wanted to update those that may be following this posting - Replacing the screens with no see um screen has become frustrating - at least for me. Today was spent going from store to store that do screen repair to see what they had in spline size. No one had the spline, one place could buy a tad larger spline through their vendor and pull it to make it fit - yikes! Also no one had a roller small enough to insert the 0.100 spline. I did find the spline online here and they also have the roller here. I'd have a whole lot of leftover spline if I am to purchase it there. Hehr wants just under $3.00 a ft for .100 spline. No mention from them offering the sale of the roller needed to insert the spline.

My concern is the rigidity of the spline being sold where I can buy it. The spline in the screens now is rigid yet not hard if that makes sense. I felt the spline in the stores and those are squishy. That has me concerned as to the need for the spline to be rigid or can softer spline be used? I'm thinking not as the grove is so small it would just slowly pop/roll out of the groove. My other concern was reusing the spline - I had a heck of a time getting the end to pop up so I could see what the spline looked like. I used an awl to get it out - my tiny watch tools didn't work well for that. I used a letter opener to push it back in - not the best tool for that and will not be used again. I do not want to remove any spline and hope for the best in not breaking it or having it fall apart without replacement on hand if what I take out can't be reused.

Jim - I liked your idea of just putting some of the no see um screen on the outside of the window in addition to the stock screen remaining on. That had me thinking as to how to attach the screen. Magnets came to mind, but the screens are made of aluminum and the only place the magnets have some kind of hold is where the screen brackets (metal) are that hold the screen into the window. It was not a secure hold. Also with the newer windows it would be hard to probably impossible to get the no see um screen to cover the full screen outside the window as it cracks open only an inch or two depending on window.

I will succeed though - just need time to figure out what I am going to do
Old 04-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventures in Nomadness View Post
Still have the two next to the bed with gap we can’t fix. Probably leave them closed or use some steel wool.
When I took the screen out - I put it back in with the bottom going in first to make sure it stayed secure over where the knob placement is. I had my husband hold it into place when I popped the rest of the screen into place. We did this a few times to where it finally fit properly. It's almost like it self adjusted on it's own - just took a few times of in and out to get it to fit properly. One I did have to re-adjust a little by twisting it slightly.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Mary, are those screens from frameless windows or the sliders? If sliders, how did you remove the screen frame? I have not seen a way to do it? Thanks.
DougO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougO View Post
Mary, are those screens from frameless windows or the sliders? If sliders, how did you remove the screen frame? I have not seen a way to do it? Thanks.

They were the framelss windows. Sorry I can't help you, but I'd think they would remove somewhat similar to the frameless. Just look for the little tabs holding the screen in - pull out the screen slightly and you'll see them. On the framelss there were two tabs on each side of framing of the screen. Hope that helps you.