Screen Spline Size - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Screen Spline Size

Has anyone put new screen in their screen windows and if so, where did you buy the spline? We'd like to replace all our screens with actual no see um screen.
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Screen Spline Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Has anyone put new screen in their screen windows and if so, where did you buy the spline? We'd like to replace all our screens with actual no see um screen.

Mary I’m sure if you pulled some spline out of one of your screens and took it to a glass shop they would sell you some. When it came to screen spline I think I gave away more then I ever sold. We used to stock 4 or 5 different diameters including a compressible foam spline.
Just an FYI if you don’t have a roller a popsicle stick and patience works too.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
If your trailer is only a year or two old I would think you could just pull out your existing spline and use it again.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Doug - I never thought of going to a glass shop for spline. I'll check that out. As for popsicle sticks - those I have plenty of

David - The thought crossed my mind of using the spline over again, but then the thought of my doing an oops and breaking/tearing it had me thinking I'd better have some on hand.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

Screen Spline Size

Mary if it’s vinyl spline I don’t think you’ll break it, if it’s foam spline it’s not reusable.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Mary if it’s vinyl spline I don’t think you’ll break it, if it’s foam spline it’s not reusable.

I'm afraid to take it out to see if it's vinyl or foam since I can't find a replacement for it. Looks and feels like vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
20190324_225019.jpg  
Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
I'm afraid to take it out to see if it's vinyl or foam since I can't find a replacement for it. Looks and feels like vinyl.
That looks like vinyl - very easy to remove and reuse. I did that on the screens on a previous trailer when they were 10 years old and had no problem.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

Mary I think David is right it does look like vinyl spline, if you have a pick tool or something thin and pointed try lifting up on of the ends and then just pull it out.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #9

Thank you David and Doug -- I'll give a try as I'm sure I can reuse the spline as long as it's vinyl.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Window screening replacement product

When we were in Big Bend National Park a week or so ago, there were no-seeums by the hundreds which flew right in throught the window screens in our E21 at night. Would definitely like to replace the screening with something that prevents this. So, question is has anyone found a window screening product that stops no-seeums but does not restrict air flow or visibility too much?
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
When we were in Big Bend National Park a week or so ago, there were no-seeums by the hundreds which flew right in throught the window screens in our E21 at night. Would definitely like to replace the screening with something that prevents this. So, question is has anyone found a window screening product that stops no-seeums but does not restrict air flow or visibility too much?
I build screen porches for a living. I use a product called Super Screen - it is very similar in appearance to standard fiberglass screen but much stronger, cat claws do not hurt it (important when you are building screen porches for cats...). It comes in two meshes, standard mesh and tiny mesh. The tiny mesh is supposed to be primarily for keeping out no-seeums. Although I generally use the standard mesh, I have also seen the tiny mesh and appearance wise it is very similar - good visibility and airflow. I rescreened the windows on our previous trailer with Super Screen and will do the same when we get our new Escape since we leave the windows partly open for our cats when we are out for the day.

Here's a link to my supplier - they have many widths and roll sizes so it's usually pretty easy to get just what you need. It is thin and flexible and installs with the spline just like standard window screen. https://www.metroscreenworks.com/rol.../super-screen/
Old 03-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rather than replace all the screens (do not forget the vent and maxxfan) why not do one or two window screens, possibly on the outside as an addition to your stock screen. It is only on those hot, still nights should you experience them. If it gets really bad we just close up and put on a/c and if it becomes breezy, we open up because the breeze keeps them away..
Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
When I replaced my screens I found that the stock splines were slightly too small for the thinner screen. I used them anyway, but they do come out a bit too easily. I had to take the new screen off of the max fan because the mesh is so fine that it traps a lot of dust very quickly. Still trying to decide how to treat the retractable door screen. Tried gluing a section of noseeum to the existing screen, but that didn't hold.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
When I replaced my screens I found that the stock splines were slightly too small for the thinner screen. I used them anyway, but they do come out a bit too easily. I had to take the new screen off of the max fan because the mesh is so fine that it traps a lot of dust very quickly. Still trying to decide how to treat the retractable door screen. Tried gluing a section of noseeum to the existing screen, but that didn't hold.

My husband called Hehr to see what size spline they used and was told 'I think 100'. We're going to call around to the local RV shops in town and see if they carry that size. If so we'll compare it to what is in the screen and then hopefully they have spline just a tad larger and see how that works prior to buying. I didn't take into account the thickness of the screen and the need to change spline size - thank you for that information. Did you use a roller to put the spline in or did you have to come up with something to get that small spline into the groove?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:17 AM   #15

I think what you want to ask for is 0.100”.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I used a half-circle thingie to start the spline and for the corners, but a flat screwdriver works just as well. A roller for the straight parts. Cut small pieces and glue for the bathroom and the escape hatch/vent over the bed.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I think what you want to ask for is 0.100”.

Yes you are right I should of put the 0. before the 100.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I used a half-circle thingie to start the spline and for the corners, but a flat screwdriver works just as well. A roller for the straight parts. Cut small pieces and glue for the bathroom and the escape hatch/vent over the bed.

Thank you for letting me know how you did yours.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 21’ Escape
Screen gap

I think this is a related question on screens. Just picked up our 21 two weeks ago with frameless windows. Noticed a small gap on edge of screens which I think bugs will get in through. Anyone else seen this or have a suggested fix? I’ve attempted to attach pics but they are upside down
Attached Images

Adventures in Nomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The screens snap in so try to put a little pressure and see if they get tighter. The screen itself may be bowed and need straightened to conform with the window trim to close that gap.