Screws from table leg bases sticking out of fiberglass bottom - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Trailer: None now
Screws from table leg bases sticking out of fiberglass bottom

I decided to install a Springfield pedestal when we found a good price on one. Removed the original 2 bases and measured the screws and they are 3/4 inch long. Stuck one in the Springfield base and decided it would be a little short. The 1 inch screws that were purchased stuck out a little over 3/4 inch so they may have been a little long. I ground off a little more than 1/8 inch and installed one screw. Then ducked underneath to make sure my screw did not pierce the fiberglass. Mine did not but to my surprise I can see two circles where the original screws installed by Escape did. I trimmed the remainder of my screws and installed them verifying each time that mine did not protrude from the fiberglass. I'll caulk over the ones installed by Escape underneath as some left a hole that moisture could enter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171106_093045934.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I decided to install a Springfield pedestal when we found a good price on one. Removed the original 2 bases and measured the screws and they are 3/4 inch long. Stuck one in the Springfield base and decided it would be a little short. The 1 inch screws that were purchased stuck out a little over 3/4 inch so they may have been a little long. I ground off a little more than 1/8 inch and installed one screw. Then ducked underneath to make sure my screw did not pierce the fiberglass. Mine did not but to my surprise I can see two circles where the original screws installed by Escape did. I trimmed the remainder of my screws and installed them verifying each time that mine did not protrude from the fiberglass. I'll caulk over the ones installed by Escape underneath as some left a hole that moisture could enter.
I am surer that you will be told not to worry since there are drains in the bottom shell. Still, more poor craftsmanship on the assembly line.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I am surer that you will be told not to worry since there are drains in the bottom shell. Still, more poor craftsmanship on the assembly line.
Not sure that is the problem, there are not a lot of choices in screw length. But they should caulk the ones that break through so water does not wick through and get into the plywood.
I'm sending them a note about it.
Others with the same setup as mine might want to duck underneath and see if they need to caulk theirs too.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Not sure that is the problem, there are not a lot of choices in screw length. But they should caulk the ones that break through so water does not wick through and get into the plywood.
I'm sending them a note about it.
Others with the same setup as mine might want to duck underneath and see if they need to caulk theirs too.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine this week. We don't use our table, so I'm thinking of removing the two bases. What did you do (if anything) with the existing holes in the linoleum? I'm afraid of the holes getting bigger if I don't do "something".
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine this week. We don't use our table, so I'm thinking of removing the two bases. What did you do (if anything) with the existing holes in the linoleum? I'm afraid of the holes getting bigger if I don't do "something".
I used a tan caulk that is close to the color and filled them in. If you know where they are and get close you can see them but standing or sitting they blend right in.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I used a tan caulk that is close to the color and filled them in. If you know where they are and get close you can see them but standing or sitting they blend right in.
Cover the caulked holes with a throw rug. Outta sight, outta mind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
For those ordering new, unless you love the standard two tube table system with accompanying ant hill bases and know you will keep it - ask that it not be installed.

There are better aftermarket offerings many new owners will likely settle on. When you remove the factory table later replacing with your favorite table, you will be left with 12 holes on interior floor as Greg mentioned.

I can't speak as to exterior holes through fiberglass as my table was not installed.

The standard table system is ok and usable but I wanted something different.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Cover the caulked holes with a throw rug. Outta sight, outta mind.
With that big Springfield base attached to the floor it would be hard to use a single rug. Maybe two of the rugs you place under the toilet?
Or do a rug like you do for a Christmas tree stand and slit one side?
I'm almost tempted to do the two toilet rugs just to see the reactions.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Jubal... Like your signature states...I can't argue with an "Idiot". Poor craftsmanship has gotten ETI where they are today. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another good reason to get the spray foam underneath......
Old 11-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

The spray foam insulation can hide a lot of errors.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
The spray foam insulation can hide a lot of errors.

I'm guessing the 's' at the end of George Carlin is in error.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Poor craftsmanship has gotten ETI where they are today. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yep, that reputation for poor craftsmanship sure drew me to ETI and is probably responsible for them being able to sell them faster than they can make them...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
with a 6 month backlog, no less.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #15

Good catch.