"Secret" customizations or standard options for 2016 21' - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Of the two switches that we have by the door, one controls the entrance light and the other is for the exterior light mounted low on the left side of the trailer. I have not seen anyone else mention this light. Loren
I had ETI tie a street side light with a front over-the-storage-box light on that switch. Nice to be able to see at night for hookups or find/stow stuff in the box without a flashlight.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Jim,
I am amazed that ETI even entertains as many customizations as they do. With limited production space and increased demand they are trying very hard to find ways to speed up production. Accommodating customer requests is part of the attraction but also can inhibit throughput. I think they also get new features standardized based on customer requests so like most other things it is a "Question of Balance" (old Moody Blues fan)

But according to the Rolling Stones "You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime you might find. You get what you need."
Pretty good summation for what is happening at Escape, it is a delicate balance for them, for sure.

Thanks for a great earworm (The Stones one). Currently singing it to myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Of the two switches that we have by the door, one controls the entrance light and the other is for the exterior light mounted low on the left side of the trailer. I have not seen anyone else mention this light. Loren
I believe that is the standard setup, porch and waste lights, at least it was on my fifth wheel. I had them add one switch for the main indoor overhead. I easily use that one more then the other 2 combined. Only issue is remembering to use the wall switch instead of the one on the light.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Simple solution, buy a illuminated switch and replace the stock ones, when on it glows red, when off it is also.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Simple solution, buy a illuminated switch and replace the stock ones, when on it glows red, when off it is also.
Are illuminated switches, in the same style as the existing, available?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I believe that is the standard setup, porch and waste lights, at least it was on my fifth wheel. I had them add one switch for the main indoor overhead. I easily use that one more then the other 2 combined. Only issue is remembering to use the wall switch instead of the one on the light.
Standard on my 2015 Escape 17 was a porch light switch (the porch light also has a small switch on its underside). I had ETI add a switch for the interior central ceiling light.
The exterior fixture low on the drivers side (for utility/water hookup in darkness) is only controlled by the switch on the fixture underside.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I got over 10 pages of illuminated switches with Amazon....and more than 100 on Ebay.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
But you did pay them extra, I assume, to install a switch for the driver's side standard exterior light, right? We do not have a switch for that light.

Anyone having them install exterior lights that the customer provided is paying for that to be done and it may be expensive depending on the lights.

By now, they know what is worth their time to do custom and what is not. They may agree to do something for which they are charging plenty to make it worth their time. They do turn down many requests.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I got over 10 pages of illuminated switches with Amazon....and more than 100 on Ebay.
I did that as well, but none of the illuminated ones matched the style (appearance) of the existing ones.
They appear to be JR Products 12000 series.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
my 17b has one switch by the door it works on the overhead light inside the trailer
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I have earned the "look" a couple of times for turning off the overhead light at the light instead of the switch.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I have earned the "look" a couple of times for turning off the overhead light at the light instead of the switch.
Pretty sure I know what "the look" is, having seen it a few times myself.

Another reason for just shorting out the switch on the light, it forces you to use the wall switch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I misspoke, or is it mistyped? Standard is just the one switch for the door light. I paid for 2 extras, 1 at the waste station and 1 for the interior light.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
But you did pay them extra, I assume, to install a switch for the driver's side standard exterior light, right? We do not have a switch for that light.

Anyone having them install exterior lights that the customer provided is paying for that to be done and it may be expensive depending on the lights.

By now, they know what is worth their time to do custom and what is not. They may agree to do something for which they are charging plenty to make it worth their time. They do turn down many requests.
Yup, found the switch on the build sheet as a $35 option. If in doubt, we added a lot of things and I don't remember it all. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 21
Thanks for your input!

Thank you for all your responses! We will pursue getting a switch at the door for an interior light. We have come to depend on ours in our current RV, I must admit though, I am the one who gets "the look" for switching it off at the light fixture sometimes

Thank you for the picture of the back of your 21, Charlie. Those lights look nice and effective!

Cathy- what type of exterior lights did you supply to ETI?

Donna-thank you for the picture of your switch set up. We were thinking of something similar.
Thanks everyone!
Mary
Take_a_hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
I'm GUILTY of that as well and I'm the only one "living" in my trailer

I think I'll put a red decal dot on the switch on the pancake light to remind myself to NOT touch it, but use the switch at the door
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I added the extra wiring so that I could change the switch on the fixture to a "3 way" switch for my outside light. Very handy to be able to turn it on & off from either location.

If you check my Trailer Modifications 2013 & scroll down a bit you can see how & a source for the switches. I also added indicator lights so I can tell from inside the trailer if the outside lights are on...
Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #38

Aha! I found the mfr. of the switches that ETI uses:

American Technology Components, Elkhart, Ind.
Electronics, lighting and mold convenience items from American Technology Components

Edit: Well, that's the good news.
Bad news: Looks like they mfr. only, marketing/sales is done by other companies. The search goes on!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The good thing about having a child living in Fort Wayne is that it's convenient to stop in Elkhart when we visit. You might check with the R.V surplus store in Elkhart. They have a huge inventory of RV components and were very helpful when we stopped in last spring. I'd suggest giving them a call and if you ever get that way, stop in and you're sure to spend some $$$.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Aha! I found the mfr. of the switches that ETI uses:

American Technology Components, Elkhart, Ind.
Electronics, lighting and mold convenience items from American Technology Components

Edit: Well, that's the good news.
Bad news: Looks like they mfr. only, marketing/sales is done by other companies. The search goes on!
These are the same switches installed in ours. I have bought a few.

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-12...9GKRAMR5EJQYCB