Securing bikes on Swagman XC2-RV2 rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arcata, California
Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Posts: 210
Securing bikes on Swagman XC2-RV2 rack

I am looking at ordering this Swagman bike rack. It is definitely RV rated, which was the key for me. I've read good reviews, but I need some help. How would you suggest I secure my bikes on this rack? I have a Kryptonite bike lock and matching 4' cable, plus a slew of locks. I'm just paranoid about theft because, basically, I hate thieves and I'm suspicious of everyone. Just sayin'.

Thanks!


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
__________________

Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County CA, California
Trailer: 2014 21
Posts: 3,330
Had that same rack and hated it and sent it back- after it rubbed the paint paint off my bike frames where the hook clamps down. And the hook is a major PITA to release once you have it clamped down. So the larger issue in my mind is the rack. Spring for a 1UP- then use a cable lock.
__________________

__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,892
I have one I pad my bike so it doesn't rub I have had no issues with it I use a bike chain /lock to secure. Definitely could cut my chain not the best but good enough for me. My bikes are not that expensive but I too do not like the idea of them being stolen.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,088
I too had that rack. It wore paint of my cross bar. A buddy following me once said it was bouncing like crazy. Went to the 1UP rack 4 years ago and personally would not now consider another. Built strong, engineered great and super easy to use.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
richardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Posts: 465
Covering bikes

I think that covering the bikes significantly enhances the theft deturance. Without removing the cover a thief does not know what type of bikes they are or how they are locked. I have mine covered all the time with a Formosa Cover from Amazon. It was not cheep. However the less expensive solution, which I used initially, is to only cover them when stopped.
__________________
Rick and Vicky Reed
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,679
Isn't that 9ne a bumper mount? keep in mind Escapes have a smaller bumper then most. Swagman sells a hitch pin lock with about 6' cable that I use on my hitch mounted Swagman.

Mine rubbed off paint too, but the bikes are pretty old and dinged up so it wasn't a big deal. I've since started to use a chunk of pool noodle over the bars.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I think that covering the bikes significantly enhances the theft deturance. Without removing the cover a thief does not know what type of bikes they are or how they are locked. I have mine covered all the time with a Formosa Cover from Amazon. It was not cheep. However the less expensive solution, which I used initially, is to only cover them when stopped.
After checking yours out I bought one. My first concern was keeping them clean, but I can see it as a they deterrent too. Hopefully it attaches well to the tracks mounted on my storage box, as it seems to wrap under the rack.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
richardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
After checking yours out I bought one. My first concern was keeping them clean, but I can see it as a they deterrent too. Hopefully it attaches well to the tracks mounted on my storage box, as it seems to wrap under the rack.
The Formosa bike cover does wrap under the rack and zip closed from either end. You may have to mount snaps or velcro to attach the bottom to your storage box.
__________________
Rick and Vicky Reed
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
The Formosa bike cover does wrap under the rack and zip closed from either end. You may have to mount snaps or velcro to attach the bottom to your storage box.
I better make sure I check that out and adapt it before taking off next time, thanks.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Dover, Vermont
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA!
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
I am looking at ordering this Swagman bike rack. It is definitely RV rated, which was the key for me. I've read good reviews, but I need some help. How would you suggest I secure my bikes on this rack? I have a Kryptonite bike lock and matching 4' cable, plus a slew of locks. I'm just paranoid about theft because, basically, I hate thieves and I'm suspicious of everyone. Just sayin'.

Thanks!


https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
I have been using that rack for a few years now and am very happy. A few things to think about:
1.Get the swagman hitch lock. Not only does it lock the rack to the hitch but it also makes it much more rigid of a mount.
2.the hook does do some rubbing so protect your bike if that is important to you.
3. to release the hooks you really need to push hard...if you have weak hands this might not be for you
4. I use a cable lock around the bumper and through the bike frames to lock it up.
5. it is waaay cheaper to buy and is still good quality! Go to etrailer for a good price.
__________________

Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.