Securing peeling headliner in the cupboards - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
As so many of us who own Escapes have found, if something goes wrong, Escape makes it right. Why else would so many people wait up to a year to take delivery when they can locally pick up an RV on the same day? I love showing off my Escape and sharing the love.
Yes, you're right. Reese was very cool when I spoke to him about the problem. He said they would take care of it and he sounded bummed about my situation. I'll make some calls and get this problem taken care of.
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
Yes, you're right. Reese was very cool when I spoke to him about the problem. He said they would take care of it and he sounded bummed about my situation. I'll make some calls and get this problem taken care of.
The problem I keep having when calling shops about my problem is that they tell me that the entire headliner needs to be replaced because its foam backed. Anyone in the Los Angeles area know of a good shop that can repair this?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Maybe an auto upholstery place......
Old 02-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Have you discussed the DIY solution with Reace? If you know what that entails, you will know if you are getting the straight goods from local shops.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Erik, did you see the posts I made earlier about the channel and t track Reace sent me? With that stuff it is a pretty simple fix and I would think any good autobody shop could easily do it.

Funny thing, though is I never did fix mine. After it sagged about and inch or two I thought it would keep going, but it never got any worse. I decided I would wait until we were ready to sell it. The folks who bought it said that they preferred the slight sag to a seam down the middle. The only way to really know the sag was there was to push on it. Eventually I decided it made a good extra airspace insulation as it showed no sign of getting any worse!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Eventually I decided it made a good extra airspace insulation as it showed no sign of getting any worse!
Well that's making lemonade from a lemon.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape
How does the t-track or molding help the foam adhere to the fiberglass or reflectix?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:56 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
How does the t-track or molding help the foam adhere to the fiberglass or reflectix?
A slit is cut, the channel molding is adhered to the fiberglass with a contact cement, then the t track is pushed thru the cut into the molding. The t molding is wide enough to mechanically secure the edges of the vinyl and take up any slack.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Erik, did you see the posts I made earlier about the channel and t track Reace sent me? With that stuff it is a pretty simple fix and I would think any good autobody shop could easily do it.

Funny thing, though is I never did fix mine. After it sagged about and inch or two I thought it would keep going, but it never got any worse. I decided I would wait until we were ready to sell it. The folks who bought it said that they preferred the slight sag to a seam down the middle. The only way to really know the sag was there was to push on it. Eventually I decided it made a good extra airspace insulation as it showed no sign of getting any worse!
I'm not into that track down the middle. And I might expect it to sag after a few years but not within one year.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #50

Quote:
I'm not into that track down the middle. And I might expect it to sag after a few years but not within one year.

I can understand that. I'm sure Reace will try to work with you to come up with a solution acceptable for you.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:18 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
On the older Scamps with the elephant hide liner we use to use a syringe to inject the glue behind the liner leaving a very small unnoticeable injection point. Probably the best course is to exhaust the warranty path first, but this did work well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
On the older Scamps with the elephant hide liner we use to use a syringe to inject the glue behind the liner leaving a very small unnoticeable injection point. Probably the best course is to exhaust the warranty path first, but this did work well.
That is a clever way of doing it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #53

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
with all the various trailers with liners on the ceiling it may be tough to apply a even coat of adhesive if it is sprayed on, and installation conditions must be optimal for contact type adhesives to work properly over the long term....and of course it also depends on the experience and skill of the person doing the work....on the plus side the vinyl with foam backing may be less weight than a carpeted ceiling using the same adhesive...

considered this during my build sheet and plan to have the front shelf on the Escape 19 converted into a cabinet (ETI unlisted option) which should not only give a little bracing/strength to the front roof and dinette ceiling cabinets, but hopefully may help mitigate any headliner sagging in that area in the future.

hope your solution works out and being under warranty is the good thing...certainly interested in how the factory fixes this...as a warranty fix not sure this camper would accept a t molding with a seam kludge where there was not one when new, but replacing a ceiling liner could be a big job if even possible...
a friends engine blew out with less than 2k miles left on his warranty..$8.5K for a new engine + labor under warranty and now driving a new engine!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headliner