Security - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Security

Hello again, I really appreciate all the help I am getting here. My trailer will be arriving this Thursday and I would like to get the security items in place. What is the recommended coupler lock for a 21'? I saw some old posts that recommended the Proven 2178. Is that still valid?

What about boots or chains for the tires?

Lock for the spare tire and propane tanks?
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I have none of those items but it all depends on where one camps and one's level of comfort...or discomfort as the case may be.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 17
Good thread here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...tml#post195829

Propane lock thread here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post194969
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Hi Karen, Thanks for the reply. Do you do any boondocking? Do you have any additional security on your trailer?
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
2/5 boondocking, 3/5 campsites/resorts here.

No security other than no flashing valuables and being sneaky with cash on hand. Generally the trailer is hooked up to the trailer at any rate. I believe previous threads leaned towards some type of obvious wheel locker for outdoor storage.

The thefts I personally know about in the RV world involve unguarded bbq's and gennies and beer coolers walking away after dark.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurah View Post
Hi Karen, Thanks for the reply. Do you do any boondocking? Do you have any additional security on your trailer?
I boondock in the sense that I seldom have hook-ups except in the absolute dead of winter (Nov-Feb). And I usually camp in state parks so am not too concerned about security--even if I'm only one of a few campers there. If I were off on DNR land or something, I would use my coupler lock as a minimum security measure, but that's it. I just am not a person who worries about every possibility...it's not in my nature as I'm a half-full-glass person, not a half-empty one. But as I said, others may have a different level of comfort so should follow their instincts. Me? I have insurance. And I'd rather go off in the woods than spend time worrying about everything.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
x2 Karen
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Get what makes YOU feel happy, LauraH. If you want locks and such, go for it. If not, whatever. I, for one, will not quibble with you.

Regarding insurance - yeah, everyone should have it. But, if your trailer gets stolen and you want a replacement, do you want to wait a year to get a new one? Or purchase a used one that may not be exactly what you had already?

Now that I'm using the trailer, I'd much rather spend time in it out and about, instead of not very patiently waiting a year or so to get a replacement.

Your choice.

For us, we opted for some security measures. It works for us and we're fine with that. However, I know not everyone will agree with what we've done. Yeah, whatever. It's our trailer and our level of security that we need.

We got some cheapo Master locks for the storage bin and the X-Chocks. Yeah, someone could cut them quite quickly if they wanted, but it'll slow down those that don't want to take the time to cut them. It only takes a few seconds for me to put them on and off. No biggie. Same with the lock over the hitch coupler (or whatever that black thingie is that goes over the ball hitch area and seats down when the ball is properly in place).

We got a bike type lock (chain lock with plastic over it) for the levelers (from Purple Line). Again, someone could cut it, but again, we're keeping the lazy thieves away and off to another site or rig at someone's house/storage unit.

But, what really gives us peace of mind is the boot clamp. The Nemesis from Purple Line. More than one person commented on it at the Spring NOG and said how nobody's gonna steal this trailer. I've also had more than one nearby camper come over to get information on it. One of them had his brand new trailer stolen from in front of his house. He was quite impressed with it.

If the trailer isn't hitched up to the truck and I'm not hanging around all day/night in the trailer, then it goes on. I've gotten better at putting it on. It was rather a bitch at first, but with many things, practice has made it easier.

I'm including a photo of the Nemesis, as well as the KoJack levelers since I mentioned them. We could not get the BAL levelers to fit, nor could an owner of a 5.0TA. I know others have, but we couldn't. Many will poo-poo this type of leveler, but they work great for me as I'm setting up and taking down on my own.

Here's the link to the Nemesis (there are other types/brands out there, but this is what we decided on)

Nemesis Professional Caravan Wheel Clamp | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

I probably won't add anything for the propane tanks. Haven't thought about the spare tire - yet. We'll see about that later.

So, yeah, see to your level of comfort regarding the security of your trailer. Everyone has a different level and that's fine.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04986.jpg   DSC04990.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
We've been towing something for 49 yrs , have been from one end of this country to the other. In recent years we have started using a lock on the coupler , and we've always locked the trailer door when away and tend to be away from the trailer for most of the day ( except at the rally ) .While we were boon dockers in the olden days , we are not any more . We have never once had an issue . Think maybe we are like Karen and Bruce !
Old 05-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Once again, if one is deeply concerned about trailer theft, put coupler locks on it and perhaps a chain. However, a GPS tracking device will notify you the moment the trailer is moved, and often the police have the thieves in custody within 30 minutes. Not only do you have a much greater chance of recovery, but the scumbag(s) will be doing time. Yes, you have to pay a subscription fee, but the degree of security and peace of mind is greatly enhanced.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 17
I thought I read low jack has no subscription fee.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
I thought I read low jack has no subscription fee.
Perhaps, but it does not provide universal geographic coverage. It's not going to do you any good when Gomer steals your trailer somewhere in the boonies and moves it to another area in the boonies to become his new hunting cabin.