Security lug nuts - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Security lug nuts

I am going to buy some security lug nuts, does anyone know what the thread size is on a 5.0 TA?

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...70_&dpSrc=srch

drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I am going to buy some security lug nuts, does anyone know what the thread size is on a 5.0 TA?
All current Escape axles are Dexter Torflex #10. The standard studs for those axles, and for the 3500 pound Dexter beam axles used on early 5.0TA's - are 1/2" diameter.

1/2"-20 is the nearly universal thread for wheel studs in this capacity range of trailer axles. That's 1/2" diameter, 20 threads per inch (but that's the only common 1/2" wheel stud/nut thread anyway).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:

My question would be “Why?”

Are you storing your trailer in a high crime area? The wheels/tires on a trailer are less likely targeted by thieves than batteries and propane cylinders.

I would suggest you Google “Problems with security lug nuts” before spending money on them and/or installing them. My wife’s Honda CR-V had them and I eliminated them because they were a PITA to remove and to torque. Perhaps other “Escapists” can chime in here on their perception of the need to use them. I could see protecting the spare tire (maybe), but I personally do not see the need. I have been driving for over 50 years, have owned several trailers, have lived/stayed in some seedy locations and have never had a wheel stolen. In my mind, money would be better spent on something like a Brahma lock to protect the entire trailer. That’s my 2 cents, anyway.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The “locking” wheel nuts are not all that expensive. I bought mine from E Trailer. I used one on the spare, The others are in the tool box as just lug nut spares in case I might need them or in case I could help someone else. I think the possibility of tire and wheel theft is probably greater in some storage lots than it is on the road. Just my opinion.
Dave
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
...or in case I could help someone else.
You're a good man, Dave. My father was camping his way back from Florida with a Scamp when a fellow camper knew the city water pressure was high and my father didn't have a water pressure regulator. He went to his rig and brought one back and gave it to him. That was a nice gesture and may have saved him some issues.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My question would be “Why?”

Are you storing your trailer in a high crime area? The wheels/tires on a trailer are less likely targeted by thieves than batteries and propane cylinders.

I would suggest you Google “Problems with security lug nuts” before spending money on them and/or installing them. My wife’s Honda CR-V had them and I eliminated them because they were a PITA to remove and to torque. Perhaps other “Escapists” can chime in here on their perception of the need to use them. I could see protecting the spare tire (maybe), but I personally do not see the need. I have been driving for over 50 years, have owned several trailers, have lived/stayed in some seedy locations and have never had a wheel stolen. In my mind, money would be better spent on something like a Brahma lock to protect the entire trailer. That’s my 2 cents, anyway.

I think the thought isn’t so much of preventing theft of one wheel, but rather of the whole trailer. One way to defeat wheel boots (the kind that don’t already cover the nuts) is to simply remove the wheel with the boot, then swap for the conveniently located, and boot free, spare on the back bumper.

Maybe you have no need or desire for any enhanced security measures, but don’t be so hasty to judge everyone else’s situation. YMMV.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007
security lug nuts

I'm all for anyone wanting extra security to use the locking lug nuts. Just be aware that most of them do not have as positive engagement with the wrench as a normal lug nut so you have to be extra careful putting them on and off.

I had a bad experience spending a couple of hours with a hammer and cold chisel removing one from my son's Subaru, it had a particularly poor design.

My partner's Mini Cooper has them, but the tool to remove them is splined so I think it will work well in the long run.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Brian explained it in post #2 of this thread but posts 37 & 39 of this other thread might also help:
Aluminum Rims .. build option... pros and cons?

This is another option for you to consider:
www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Locks/Redline/RG01-150.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm guessing my 5.0 with the Anderson hitch attachment would be hard to steal unless the thief also had and Anderson hitch.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm guessing my 5.0 with the Anderson hitch attachment would be hard to steal unless the thief also had and Anderson hitch.
But then again if you ever need a road call where someone else needs to tow it back someplace there might be an issue.