Security lug nuts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Security lug nuts

I am going to buy some security lug nuts, does anyone know what the thread size is on a 5.0 TA?

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom...70_&dpSrc=srch
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
I am going to buy some security lug nuts, does anyone know what the thread size is on a 5.0 TA?
All current Escape axles are Dexter Torflex #10. The standard studs for those axles, and for the 3500 pound Dexter beam axles used on early 5.0TA's - are 1/2" diameter.

1/2"-20 is the nearly universal thread for wheel studs in this capacity range of trailer axles. That's 1/2" diameter, 20 threads per inch (but that's the only common 1/2" wheel stud/nut thread anyway).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

My question would be “Why?”

Are you storing your trailer in a high crime area? The wheels/tires on a trailer are less likely targeted by thieves than batteries and propane cylinders.

I would suggest you Google “Problems with security lug nuts” before spending money on them and/or installing them. My wife’s Honda CR-V had them and I eliminated them because they were a PITA to remove and to torque. Perhaps other “Escapists” can chime in here on their perception of the need to use them. I could see protecting the spare tire (maybe), but I personally do not see the need. I have been driving for over 50 years, have owned several trailers, have lived/stayed in some seedy locations and have never had a wheel stolen. In my mind, money would be better spent on something like a Brahma lock to protect the entire trailer. That’s my 2 cents, anyway.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The “locking” wheel nuts are not all that expensive. I bought mine from E Trailer. I used one on the spare, The others are in the tool box as just lug nut spares in case I might need them or in case I could help someone else. I think the possibility of tire and wheel theft is probably greater in some storage lots than it is on the road. Just my opinion.
Dave
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
...or in case I could help someone else.
You're a good man, Dave. My father was camping his way back from Florida with a Scamp when a fellow camper knew the city water pressure was high and my father didn't have a water pressure regulator. He went to his rig and brought one back and gave it to him. That was a nice gesture and may have saved him some issues.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My question would be “Why?”

Are you storing your trailer in a high crime area? The wheels/tires on a trailer are less likely targeted by thieves than batteries and propane cylinders.

I would suggest you Google “Problems with security lug nuts” before spending money on them and/or installing them. My wife’s Honda CR-V had them and I eliminated them because they were a PITA to remove and to torque. Perhaps other “Escapists” can chime in here on their perception of the need to use them. I could see protecting the spare tire (maybe), but I personally do not see the need. I have been driving for over 50 years, have owned several trailers, have lived/stayed in some seedy locations and have never had a wheel stolen. In my mind, money would be better spent on something like a Brahma lock to protect the entire trailer. That’s my 2 cents, anyway.

I think the thought isn’t so much of preventing theft of one wheel, but rather of the whole trailer. One way to defeat wheel boots (the kind that don’t already cover the nuts) is to simply remove the wheel with the boot, then swap for the conveniently located, and boot free, spare on the back bumper.

Maybe you have no need or desire for any enhanced security measures, but don’t be so hasty to judge everyone else’s situation. YMMV.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
security lug nuts

I'm all for anyone wanting extra security to use the locking lug nuts. Just be aware that most of them do not have as positive engagement with the wrench as a normal lug nut so you have to be extra careful putting them on and off.

I had a bad experience spending a couple of hours with a hammer and cold chisel removing one from my son's Subaru, it had a particularly poor design.

My partner's Mini Cooper has them, but the tool to remove them is splined so I think it will work well in the long run.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Brian explained it in post #2 of this thread but posts 37 & 39 of this other thread might also help:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post222134

This is another option for you to consider:
www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Locks/Redline/RG01-150.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm guessing my 5.0 with the Anderson hitch attachment would be hard to steal unless the thief also had and Anderson hitch.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I'm guessing my 5.0 with the Anderson hitch attachment would be hard to steal unless the thief also had and Anderson hitch.
But then again if you ever need a road call where someone else needs to tow it back someplace there might be an issue.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #11

Quote:

That Anderson hitch adapter is quite easy to remove. And quiet. I’ve already got a set of chock-locks, I am going to put a set of security Lugnuts on as well, so the thief might steal the trailer next-door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I think the thought isn’t so much of preventing theft of one wheel, but rather of the whole trailer. One way to defeat wheel boots (the kind that don’t already cover the nuts) is to simply remove the wheel with the boot, then swap for the conveniently located, and boot free, spare on the back bumper.

Maybe you have no need or desire for any enhanced security measures, but don’t be so hasty to judge everyone else’s situation. YMMV.

You’re exactly right. My concern is not with getting the wheels stolen, but the entire trailer. I already have a set of chock locks, but they do no good if the person just need to lug wrench to remove the wheel. It would be a nice quiet thing to do when we’re gone and some Theif is looking for a nice opportunity. And make no mistake, there is at this very moment and somebody looking for an opportunity at all times.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Brian explained it in post #2 of this thread but posts 37 & 39 of this other thread might also help:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post222134

This is another option for you to consider:
www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Locks/Redline/RG01-150.html

I’m not going to get a set of five for each wheel, just one set of four, one for each wheel is sufficient.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

I am all for enhanced security. I have a GPS tracking device in my trailer. FYI, the Brahma I suggested does cover the lug nuts to prevent removal, and I mentioned protecting the entire trailer. All I did was ask “why,” meaning what was the reason for wanting security lug nuts. I thought asking questions was permissible on the forum. So I am not sure that I am the one who is being hasty to judge someone else (or jumping to conclusions) here.......
Old 02-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I’m not going to get a set of five for each wheel, just one set of four, one for each wheel is sufficient.

But yeah that product looks nice, going to give that consideration for sure

Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
I am all for enhanced security. I have a GPS tracking device in my trailer. FYI, the Brahma I suggested does cover the lug nuts to prevent removal, and I mentioned protecting the entire trailer. All I did was ask “why,” meaning what was the reason for wanting security lug nuts. I thought asking questions was permissible on the forum. So I am not sure that I am the one who is being hasty to judge someone else here.......

Asking questions is good. You did more than that and went beyond that into the Judgey Zone:

Quote:
I could see protecting the spare tire (maybe), but I personally do not see the need. I have been driving for over 50 years, have owned several trailers, have lived/stayed in some seedy locations and have never had a wheel stolen. In my mind, money would be better spent on something like a Brahma lock to protect the entire trailer.
My point is that your security situation is not the same as everyone else’s. Just asking you to recognize that others may want or need more than what has worked for you in your neck of the woods for all those decades.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #17

Namely I've already got a set of these:
Trimax TCL75 Wheel Chock Lock - Best option for securing your trailer - Tools In Action - Power Tool Reviews

..to prevent the trailer from rolling anywhere I don't want it to. I just want to prevent the wheel from being removed with security lug nuts thus defeating the chock lock, and I'll keep the lug key in the glove box of the truck. Those brahma locks would work but I think they're a bit bulky IMO for travel. I'd likely use that type in a more stationary storage situation, but to each their own. The chock locks store nice. I'm moving up from a teardrop trailer and this solution has worked there so far. But anything is indeed just a deterrent as someone pointed out here, you just want enough for them to move on to the trailer next door if possible.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm thinking about the Anderson connection lock it looks very secure but about 180.00. Then I don't have to fuss with the wheels or a large wheel clamp.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
What happens when the cost , time and inconvenience of a security device exceeds the value of the item we are trying to protect ?
I have witnessed people spending a considerable amount of time securing their trailer , then going inside their trailer , never to reappear until the next morning when they load up and leave.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I'm thinking about the Anderson connection lock it looks very secure but about 180.00. Then I don't have to fuss with the wheels or a large wheel clamp.

Yeah I know what product you’re talking about, I’ve got one of those too :-). I’m thinking that if anyone is able to still my trailer now, they are quite ingenuitive and mechanically inclined, and maybe they’ve gone and got themselves a degree by now thus removing the need to steal mine. This level of security will only serve to filter out the complete idiots, and lazy ones.