Security systems - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #51

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
We've stayed at a few WM's without any real security issues. I have been awoken during the night by my wife when others pulled up nearby or she heard sounds that worried her. Out I went looking for the bad guys, no problems, mostly trucks, many making deliveries, some catching some sleep, some just sit there idling. Then there is parking lot maintenance/cleaning that seems to kick off around 2am after all the deliveries are done. In most cases we were not the only other RV there.

We've determined that we'll only use them as a last resort, far too many interruptions during the night to get much sleep. They are noisy busy places.
I'm sure had we had an experience like Sharon, it would be the end of them.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
We've stayed at a number of them. Never had any problems, usually there are other RV's there. There was only one place in Virginia that we weren't comfortable in, I would suggest if it doesn't "feel right" - your instincts are telling you something, so it's best not to stay. I agree with Bob, they are noisy and lots of light......we stay there when we just need to get "some" sleep, campgrounds in some areas are not conveniently located, they're a ways off the main road, that's when we look to use them, and we usually check online to see what others are saying.

'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #53

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We stay at the one frequently in Bellingham (with LOTS of other BC travellers) it makes sense when I get off work at 2315 to cross the border then rather than wait until the two hour lineups in the morning... I now have black out curtains to help with the bright lights in the parking lot. Lots of BC RV stay there all weekend to get their 48 hours in--We just use it as a first night getaway for our holiday. Costco the next morning for gas and hit the I-5!
Worst sleep was at a rest area as a refrigerated truck had its motor running all night long--even my earplugs didn't help.
One night in Tillamook we were at a Safeway in our Boler and a bunch of kids came by and started rocking it--needless to say we were out of there pretty darn quick. Stayed at a pulloff aways down the road..

But good idea about the key fob...I'll make sure it is near by..
Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 AM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Happened to go to Princess Auto and saw two interesting items.

One was a joggers alarm worn like an ipod nano.

Another was a black box with 12v power for four independent devices ... With the mother of all key fobs included in the box.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:06 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
I'm thinking that this is the ticket (I have a friend who has it on his F250 dualie TV)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Nice set of air horns, of course you will need a source of compressed air available to operate while parked. I imagine they are powerful enough to blow leaves or snow if mounted low enough... imagine the look on the person's face sitting in a vehicle in front of you, thinking a train was behind them...cool.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Securing storage areas. This topic came up on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

We know there's like... five keys made for all the keylocks for storage areas (baggage doors). Some hatches (like the one put into the dinette area of ETI's bigger trailers) are really large. Do you think it possible... even if not improbable, that someone would use a master key on a hatch to get inside your trailer. Like when it's stored not at your house.

I only mention it because this popped up in that Facebook thread: http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-7850...nated+Cam+Lock

Provided just for your consideration and discussion.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #58

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Securing storage areas. This topic came up on one of the Facebook pages I belong to.

We know there's like... five keys made for all the keylocks for storage areas (baggage doors). Some hatches (like the one put into the dinette area of ETI's bigger trailers) are really large. Do you think it possible... even if not improbable, that someone would use a master key on a hatch to get inside your trailer. Like when it's stored not at your house.

I only mention it because this popped up in that Facebook thread: http://www.amazon.com/Combi-Cam-7850...nated+Cam+Lock

Provided just for your consideration and discussion.
Yes, it's pretty simple to get into a trailer. The locks are very low grade and easily picked - you wouldn't need a master key. The locks stop the casual thief, but not a skilled one.

The key to any security system is layering. Lighting, visibility, locks, gates, etc. A layered system is harder to defeat, and thieves are generally going to look for an easier target.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In a storage area a broken window or screwed up door may garner attention. But if someone can crawl through a big enough hatch and open the door from the inside, they may have a field day with no one noticing for days or weeks. That's why I thought the device was interesting.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Those locks, and the one in my 17B, remind me of the ones on the lockers we were issued at work.
I didn't have my key with me one day, so I just gave the drawer a good hard yank, and it opened. Never bothered locking it after that.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote