SensorPush gateway - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I believe the Internet of Things (IoT) does pose a new threat to the internet and certainly to those organizations that have information on the internet that is valuable. I have done the inventory of IP based products in my home and it was an eye opening experience, my count is 18 devices. You have made some very good points.

I practice prudent computing, apply patches immediately, inspect logs, educate myself and family on email threats, . . the list goes on. Still, with all the threats I do not hesitate to make technology, specifically the internet, work for me. I realize I could be compromised, there is a chance pertinent information could be stolen but in the big scheme of things I think those who are stealing this information have bigger fish to catch. The time and effort to obtain my information, whether it be room temperature or my password list, is not worth the payoff. I do not loose sleep about my (IoT).

The advantages of the internet, even with the risks, far outweigh fears, concerns or threats of something that "may" happen. I will not let those possibilities keep me from improving my life style, rather I take the approach of "what can I do to make my life safer, easier, longer lasting and comfortable?" I want to look ahead and to the positive, not over my shoulder.

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
You can purchase a SensorPush sensor and connect it to your cellphone via Bluetooth. This is how my sensors are configured now. I don't recall if I had to set up an account when I bought the first one, but I don't think I had to log into anything to configure the second and third sensors.

The gateway is another device that SensorPush sells, and it acts like its name: it is a gateway to the Internet that connects to a home network via an Ethernet port and sends data from the sensors to their data cloud. This thing requires an account.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Mike, you are wise to be wary about putting devices with unknown, and likely non-adjustable or updatable, security settings, if any, onto your home network that then punch holes through your firewalls to somebody else’s server.
My caution does not come naturally: early in my career in DoD I worked in information systems security, where I had security theory and practice beaten into me. But this was in the late 1980s, and things are completely different now. I can fully understand why people without such training will plug anything into their home networks-- they think nothing more of it than plugging a lamp into an electrical outlet.

I wouldn't mind trying some "smart home" stuff but I don't want the devices connected to the Internet. I don't want Russian hackers playing with my garage door.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #14

I just bought a new cellphone, so today I tried an experiment. I downloaded the SensorPush app then turned the wifi and phone connection off via the "airplane mode". Then I turned Bluetooth back on, so it was the only connectivity to the phone.

Next I took one of my SensorPush sensors and tried to link it to the phone. It worked, and I could read temperature data from the sensor on the phone's app. Which means the sensor doesn't have to communicate with anything other than the cellphone in order to work.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
It’s probably just the gateway that requires the cloud/server connection. Bluetooth sensors would have no way to do that. Unless the phone app is phoning home with the data anyway, which is possible. Again, a careful read of the user agreement in setting up a user account could be illuminating.