Servicing your Dexter Axle brakes or bearings - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here are a couple photos of the correct Dexter seal for our 2013 Escape 21 axles. It is an 010-019-00 Dexter Fusion Inc.
It appears that the manufacturer is Fusion Inc.; they likely make them for Dexter.

Quote:
It has two separate seal faces an inner and an outer.
Yep, as Eddie mentioned, the usual term for these is a double lip seal... traditionally, I think trailer hub rear seals have been single-lip.

Quote:
I think at this time, thereís just one seal for both.
I believe that Dexter used single-lip seals, switched to double lip for the E-Z Lube, and has probably now standardized on the double lip even without E-Z Lube. The extra sealing certainly can't hurt, as long as there is enough room in the hub recess for it.

Quote:
There is no spring in this seal.
Isn't that a spring around the outside of the rubber, visible at the top in the second photo?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It appears that the manufacturer is Fusion Inc.; they likely make them for Dexter.

Yep, as Eddie mentioned, the usual term for these is a double lip seal... traditionally, I think trailer hub rear seals have been single-lip.

I believe that Dexter used single-lip seals, switched to double lip for the E-Z Lube, and has probably now standardized on the double lip even without E-Z Lube. The extra sealing certainly can't hurt, as long as there is enough room in the hub recess for it.

Isn't that a spring around the outside of the rubber, visible at the top in the second photo?
It isn’t vanity that keeps me from wearing glasses, it’s my inability to remember where I put them last. I just went down and looked and yes there is a spring. It’s tucked in there pretty short and I did not notice it. I think it’s finer wire than I have seen on some seals but it is there, probably mostly to maintain the circular integrity while not installed. Really, these seals are pretty nice for what you get for about two dollars compared to some pieces of camper plastic you worry about breaking just getting it out of the plastic packaging.
Sharp eyes of the day award to Brian BP.
Iowa Dave

Tom

Old 03-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #43

Quote:
It isnít vanity that keeps me from wearing glasses, itís my inability to remember where I put them last...

That's the advantage of being so near-sighted that I'm forced to find my glasses before going anywhere... can't leave them behind.

I just wanted to make sure that I understood what I was seeing. Thanks
Old 03-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I need help to confirm the Brake size for a 2500 lbs axle. According to Dexter Axle Resource Libray, it shows that 10" x 1 1/2" brake is the size. The part # is K23-472 00/K23-473-00 for LH/RH electric drum brakes. Is this the right brake replacement for Escape 19 Ft. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
I need help to confirm the Brake size for a 2500 lbs axle. According to Dexter Axle Resource Libray, it shows that 10" x 1 1/2" brake is the size. The part # is K23-472 00/K23-473-00 for LH/RH electric drum brakes. Is this the right brake replacement for Escape 19 Ft.
Yes. The 2500 pound capacity units are still the Torflex #10, like those of other ratings up to 3500 pounds. The reduced capacity is due to less rubber, to soften the springing to a level better suited to the trailer's weight; the brakes and hubs are not changed by the custom rating. 10" x 1 1/2" is the size for all Torflex #10 drum brakes.

Those part numbers are for the standard electric brake assemblies. If you want Nev-R-Adjust, the part # is K23-476-00/K23-477-00 for LH/RH

10" Dexter brakes
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Brain B-P,
Thank you for verifying the brake replacement info.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 AM   #47

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B
Off shore bearings

Quote:
I replaced an outer bearing on the 19. It was just a little on the loose side so I thought why not. It was a Sunday so I foolishly went to a NAPA store that was open. I was a bearing made in Taiwan and cost about $ 11.50. All the bearings were good on the 21 when I checked them but I had one slightly leaky seal. Thatís why I bought 5. After my seal trip, I stopped at Midwest Wheel one day because I needed some bearing grease. I asked about the outer bearing and an inner bearing which is quite a bit larger. Bought genuine Timkens, made in USA for $8 for the small one and $11 for the inner. Have them as spares now. Quality is economy.
Iowa Dave
As far as I know, all Timken bearings are now manufactured in India. I used to work at the St Thomas Ontario plant , now closed, a gravel pile is all thatís left.

Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote