sewer hose? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Geo

sewer hose?

Question?
Does the 19 Escape come with a sewer hose?
If so what length, is it clear so you can watch for flow?
Where does it stow, the rear bumper looked to small?
Thanks Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: sewer hose?

Hi: Geo... The "Stinky Slinky" stowes in its own white ABS tube above or below the bumper. It's not clear but you didn't want to see in it anyway... Some have complained the tube is to short and small for the fancy Slinkeys. Valtera makes an angled connector that's clear...but then where do you store that Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Geo:

Here is a picture of the rear of our Escape 13 with the white plastic storage tube.

Ladybug is home!

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Geo

Thanks for the photo.
I see the tube, how long is your sewer hose??
Question; is it like a slinky where it collapses when you store it.
And then exspandes when you pull it out.
On my old trailer it was 8 feet long, stored in the rear bumper.
In your photo the tube does not look that long.
Thanks Geo
Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

We don't actually have a sewer hose at all. I use it for storing the drain hose from our sink.

Perhaps someone with a sewer hose can enlighten you about how they work.

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The hose is long enough, is all I know. I've never had a problem reaching the sani-dump and if I did, I'd move the trailer closer to it. Even so, I'm sure you could fit a hose at least 1/3 longer than the one supplied, into the storage tube.
I haven't found any see-through connector that will fit into the ABS storage tube, but you don't need one. You can hear the liquid draining and when it stops, you just lift the hose enough to empty any liquid still in the hose.

You aren't supposed to hook up to the sewer when you arrive at camp leave your valves open for the duration of your stay. That will cause you problems with debris drying inside the tanks and sticking. It's best to empty the tanks only when they are close to full.

baglo
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I found the hose supplied with Hokie to fit into the holder just fine. It was a little thin and developed a hole the first time out. The heavier replacement with attachments on both ends, will not fit into the PVC holder on the trailer, so the reason some use it to hold fishing rods and things.
Do a search on the forum with the words "stinky slinky", or sewer hose, and it'll pull up lots of stuff on the subject to help you out. (Search on the upper right of the home page)
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #8

Trailer: No more Escape 21

On our 19' Escape, I replaced the supplied hose holder. This was due to the RhinoFlex hose that replaces the OME hose. The RhinoFlex is a bit longer. The new holder is 52" (132 cm) long. HokieEscape take note: one end of the RhinoFlex would not go inside the holder, so I sanded down the connector raised ribs flushed and also removed the inner lip on the female pipe adapter.

Attached Thumbnails
Sanded Ribs.jpg   Female Adapter.JPG  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Geo

I saw a fiberglass trailer last night when fishing that had two 7 foot tubes on the rear.
The larger one on the bottom was for sewer, the small diameter one on top was for fishing rods.
I did not have a camera, darn.
Lots of good ideas, people
Thanks Geo
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho

I modified my 17 footer with a cheap alternative as shown here. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...&hl=sewer+hose
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick
On our 19' Escape, I replaced the supplied hose holder. This was due to the RhinoFlex hose that replaces the OME hose. The RhinoFlex is a bit longer. The new holder is 52" (132 cm) long. HokieEscape take note: one end of the RhinoFlex would not go inside the holder, so I sanded down the connector raised ribs flushed and also removed the inner lip on the female pipe adapter.

I bought the same hose last year, and also trimmed those tabs off. It still would not fit into the tube. I looked last night as it was getting dark, but could see no lip inside the PVC pipe that holds the hose. I will have to look closer I guess, but it seemed it was not even close to fitting at the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #12

Jim, the lip that I was referring to is on the inside of the female adapter that limits how far the 4" pipe can be inserted into the adapter. I sanded it with a Dremel with small drum sander attachment. Hope this helps, if not let me know.

Rick
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Geo

Hi Thane
I like your idea.
I have copeid the photos
I will reproduce it on my 19 escape
or have Reace do it.
Plus an extra tube for fishing rods
Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #14

Rick, was that inner lip on yours about 2" wide. It is on the threaded fitting on my tube. The inside diameter of the fitting would definitely be no more than 1/8" smaller then the pipe itself which does not seem to be enough.

Then there is the issue of the right angle connector for where you connect to the sewer line. I can unthread it off the hose, but would prefer if I could store it without doing that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #15

Jim, I see what you mean. I still have the original holder that came with the Escape and found that the sanded down RhinoFlex would not pass through the female adapter.

I replace the entire holder since the RhinoFlex is longer than what Escape furnished. I did try, at first, to extend the original holder by cutting the end cap and adding a piece of foot long pipe using a coupler. However, the RhinoFlex right angle connector would not go pass the new joint. So I made a complete new holder. I got the 4" pipe from a local hardware store that offer cut-to-length pricing. I got the female adapter and end cap at Lowe's. I kept and used the original screw-in cap as well as the one nut and bolt that attached the holder to the frame (on the driver's side). After sanding the RhinoFlex ribs and the female adapter lip, the RhinoFlex hose, including the right angle connector, goes in nicely.

Since we are both going to the Merritt Rally, you could see what my holder looks like. Or if you want to take a chance I could get a female adapter for you or I might even be persuaded to makeup a complete holder.

I did explore using the 5" square fence post. But I didn't do it because:
1) Lowe's and Home Depot had two selections, one was too short and the longer one too expensive.
2) Both the box stores and a local fence company's 5" post were heavy, way heavy
3) The space between the trailer and the spare tire looked like the 5" post would be a very tight fit, if at all (unless you go under the frame).
4) I didn't care for the end caps and how they attached to the 5" post

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #16

Rick, I might head to one of the local suppliers and see if they have a slightly larger fitting and pipe. I did not even realize until you said it, but went and checked, and the pipe is about a foot or so short for the hose. Both ends of the hose easily fit inside the threaded part of the fitting.