Sewer Vent Cap - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Sewer Vent Cap

When doing our check around the trailer this morning, we noticed that the vent cap (and actual vent itself) were cracked and the cap quite broken.
Doug siliconed (yes, I know but temporary fix!) the vent flange itself but how to fix the cap?
I went down to Meridian RV in Poco and got the two piece unit, thinking the cap could be separated--nope, we can't undo it--how to replace the whole unit as it looks as though it is riveted on the trailer and of course we can't see if from the insid eof the bathroom..
Any hints or tips

I really don't have the time (nor probably does Reace) to take it out to Chilliwack...
Old 05-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Sewer Vent Cap

I don't have any suggestions on the replacement, but wanted to comment on the vent cap and any plastic parts put on the trailer. It has been suggested to paint the replacement plastic parts with spray paint (Fusion) prior to putting them on the trailer. UVs are the killer of the plastic items and this spray paint really helps to slow the breakdown process. I'm sure you don't want to replace these items often, you'd rather be out camping

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #3

If the vent is the same type as on the Casita, its not hard to drill out those rivets and replace the vent and cap...Casita sells those parts and I happen to have a couple of spare caps I would be happy to ship to you...just PM me your address. I was given the caps by a guy in the area who had sold his Casita, and now we've sold ours. Happy to pay it forward.

Casita owners are pretty handy with pop rivet guns and you can pick up a decent one at any hardware store. Be sure to get ALUMINUM rivets. The steel ones won't break under stress, but the fiberglass might...so aluminum is the way to go. Be sure you put marine sealant in the rivet holes and under the vent cap as you replace it.

PM me if you have further questions.

Dave
Escape 5.0 - Sept 16th
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 AM   #4

We are well versed in the use of rivet guns as we had a Boler for many years....

With the shower stallwe can't see the vent..
Ahh the joys of silicone and duct tape--it'll probably hold and we'll get it out to Reace eventually..

After all we are going to a rally and there are always more "want to dos" after one of those!!!! Maybe someone will even just show us how to take apart the two piece unit I bought..
Many thanks any way though.....
Old 05-24-2010, 07:02 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: amirie... I had the same problem except I crushed the cap with my hand. The ladder wiggled and the first thing I grabbed was the cap .I went to my RV tech and bought the whole Elixer Ind. unit base/cap thinking it was going to be a biggy job...but I found the cap can be removed from the base with a simple (medicine bottle cap) type movement. So I Took the easy route and just put the new cap on the original vent. Much less messy!!! Alf p.s. YMMV Caps sold seperately.
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #6

Hi: amirie...It's me again! Here's a good product to use to add "SPF 40 Sunscreen" to your stuff.www.303products.com Avail. at fine auto stores everywhere!!! Alf
Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #7

Trailer: '07 17B

I had the same thing happen to me a month ago. Was washing the trailer & the brush hit the cap, & it cracked. Definitely UV damage! I bought a replacement at the local RV dealer, & had to use a heat gun to bend the flange in order to have it fit around the bend in the roof. Just drill out the rivets. I used the grey sealing putty around the base, topped off with some silicone on top. Seems to work. Gary
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the hints--I got the cap off (duh--medicine bottle type turn--and I am a nurse woops!!! LOL)

I'm too short to try and put it on even with our yukky ladder---Doug can do it when he gets home....
Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Speaking of vent caps, Reace noticed mine was missing! (At the fgrv rally at Bullard's Beach) I got a generic replacement because I did not think to check to see what the securing mechanism is, before I shopped. C'est la vie. If I lose this one, I guess I'll get the correct one next time. Don't ask me how I lost it because I have no idea.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #10

Where is this sewer vent cap, and what is its function?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Kinda looks like a mushroom on the roof, right over the bath. It vents gases from the black tank, admits oxygen for aerobic sewage breakdown and maintenance of the trap water seals (P traps on your sinks) which prevent gases from entering the camper. It also provides equilization of the air pressure in the system so liquids (waste) flow where they're supposed to go.
Everyone has them on your roof at home too, but they don't usually have the mushroom style cap, just an open pipe. Sometimes called a "stink pipe"
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #12

I went home and looked and there it was. Not small. I have washed my roof. Why did it never enter my consciousness? (Don't answer that.)

It must tie in to both waste tanks? If it didn't tie in to the grey tank, sinks would not drain?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #13

The grey tank vent is on the side of our 17B beside the door. It's a small white grill.

Paul S.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17 B

That makes sense! I always wondered what that small white grill is all about! :
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #15

Hi: All...Finally broke the base for the sewer vent cap!!! I hit it with the wash mop and blew a hole in it. Looks like just the right size for wasps to buzz in for nesting so I gotta at least put a piece of "Duck Tape" over it...for now. Red Green will be happy. Alf