Sharp Solar Panel Corners - Protecting Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
Sharp Solar Panel Corners - Protecting Cover

When installing the Calmark cover on our 17B I was concerned about the sharp corners of the solar panel abrading holes in the cover. Rather than reinforcing the cover I used these foam corner protectors on the panel, which I happened upon at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Foam-Cor...4004/203457774

You have to cut a slit in each protector to accommodate the aluminum supports for the panel, but they fit well and stay put as you adjust the cover.

Now it will interesting to see if the panel can produce enough mojo to keep the batteries at 100%, as some light comes through the cover, but the foam protectors block light at the corners (not a good scenario). Hmmmm. I do have another small 20 watt panel that I can employ on top of the cover if need be. I'll keep you posted.
MimStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 21C
When we covered our trailer we used plumbing insulation and cut the corners to fit the solar panel. It worked well and the panel kept the batteries charged over the winter.
dunnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
We are putting our 21 in storage this weekend and are going to put on the cover we bought from Escape. I am looking to buy some pool noodles and slice them down the middle to see if that works so the panel won't damage the cover. We will check back in a few weeks to see if the solar keeps the batteries charged up.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
I put corner protector on the 4 corners of the solar panel, and (almost) two years and many miles later they are still there...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use sliced noodles, I strap them in place.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I use sliced noodles, I strap them in place.
Doesn't that hurt?............
Old 10-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I use a pool noodle and a folded up trap over the panel before the calmark cover goes on
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Pipe insulation from home improvement stores works well. Come already slit.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have not covered any corners on the solar panel, antenna, a/c, or vents, and have not experienced any wear on the roof of my cover in 5 winters of use.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Thanks for the tip on the cover corners . They worked great !!
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quick question about putting the Polypro cover on our 19. The generic directions say to climb on the roof of the RV, but I'm sure that's applicable to our trailer. So we're planning on using two ladders and going slow. Any other helpful hints out there? We're hoping to get good enough at the process that we can take it off and put it back on without too much hassle. I've read all the warnings about sharp edges and ways to avoid tearing, so thank you for that info.
Karen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Definitely easier with 2 ladders and 2 people, like making a giant bed, once you get the cover on top on the rest is easy.... also make sure it is right out out, keeps the profane language to a minimum.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen M. View Post
Quick question about putting the Polypro cover on our 19. The generic directions say to climb on the roof of the RV, but I'm sure that's applicable to our trailer. So we're planning on using two ladders and going slow. Any other helpful hints out there? We're hoping to get good enough at the process that we can take it off and put it back on without too much hassle. I've read all the warnings about sharp edges and ways to avoid tearing, so thank you for that info.
Pull it up from the front to the back. That seems to work best. I'm 200 lbs and went up on top of the roof. Remember that the logo goes towards the front. I had to take mine off and turn it around so I could get back into the trailer.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen M. View Post
I find that the fastest and simplest way to put the cover on my 19' is to have two people each with a long stick (broom handle works). Each person put their stick under the back underside corner of the cover, raise the cover in the air, and walk the cover over top of the Escape from front to back. For best results the rear vertical panel should be folded up and out of the way when you walk the cover over the trailer. Once the cover is positioned in the approximate correct location (location can be fine-tuned by tugging a bit on the sides), pull all of the side panels down and into place, zip up the corners, and strap the cover down. This entire process does not require any ladders and usually takes my wife and I about 15 minutes to do.

When I put the cover on by myself I use a different process. I fold the side and end panels up over the top of the cover, then fold the ends of the top of the cover towards the centre of the cover so that the entire cover is folded up to a size that I can carry. You do need to keep track of where the front and back of the cover are. Then using a step ladder, place the cover on the centre of the roof of the Escape and begin unfolding it. If you have folded it correctly, it should unfold exactly into the correct position. You can reposition the cover a small amount by tugging on the sides. When everything is in place, zip up the corners and strap it down. This process takes me about 20 minutes to carry out by myself.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #15

Thanks very much for the detailed and helpful information! We were going to try to put the cover on before the rain came yesterday, but didn't have time. No problem, in our neck of the desert, we're more worried about sun damage than the rain. We'll probably try the ladders or broomsticks first, since our balance and agility might not be up to rooftop standards!
(And I notice that I left out a word in my original post: should have said that getting on the trailer roof was NOT applicable. Sheesh.)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I do dave's 2nd method exactly, I do it by myself.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19'
me too. Dave's 2nd method is pretty simple for one person to do.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We use the method we learned from the folks at Calmark Covers (They're 10 miles away from us). It's sort of a variation of Dave's #2 solution:

We fold/roll the cover from front to middle and from rear to middle, so the twin rolls are draped in trailer center between the Maxxfan and the A/C unit, and hang down each side. Then, from one side or the other, on the ground, we pull the cover into a large plastic bag (heavy duty trash bag).
To install. We reverse the process: throw a rope over the trailer center, tie around one end of the the twin rolls, pull the rolls over the trailer, and unroll to each end.
We sometimes use a couple of 3/4" dia. PVC poles (with Tee fittings on the top end to protect the cover), to assist. (similar to the broomstick assist).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #19

Great idea, thank you!