Sherline tongue scale - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sherline tongue scale

So, I ordered my Sherline tongue scale from etrailer.com and it came with a 2,000 lb gauge, which makes it hard to read, given the target weight is under 350 lbs. That was a couple years ago. But, you can replace the scale with a 1,000 lb. gauge so I finally ordered one.

It arrived today and I read the instructions three times. Then, I waited for the Old Bag to get home from work in case I needed a third hand.

I had a wrench and Teflon tape to hand and re-read the instructions.

It wasn't that complicated. Tilt the scale so the hole faces up and no oil leaks out. Undo the old gauge, ensure the oil is at the top of the hole and replace with the new gauge, with the threads wrapped in Teflon tape. I even made sure I had the tape wrapped counter-clock-wise so that it wouldn't unravel.

It was easy, until I decided that I needed to compress the scale to raise the oil level slightly to the top of the hole, as instructed. It didn't want to compress and then it did, firing oil up, out, and on to my Eddie Bauer sweater. The rest just leaked onto my jeans when I tried to take the pressure off and accidentally removed the plunger entirely.

Old Bag held the scale while I went to the side shed for more oil.

I topped up the oil and installed the gauge, which ended up facing down, requiring a 2 inch midget to read the scale. Removed it, re-wrapped the Teflon tape as Old Bag asked where the old tape went.

Gauge, again ended up facing the wrong way when secure.

Went through the whole process again, including firing a geyser of oil on my sweater.

The scale is now sitting on the kitchen table. The sweater and my jeans are in the laundry. The post on the scale appears to be lower than it was before. The gauge reads 0, unloaded, and when I stand on it it reads 160 lbs. which is probably correct.

So, I suggest, if you order a Sherline scale, make sure you specify a 1,000 lb. gauge or that you have a friend who is a pipe-fitter.

baglo

Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Sherline tongue scale

baglo, you really need to video tape your handyman efforts for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'll tell you about my bathroom reno some time.

Anyway, Sherline quickly responded to my email of my experience. There is a side bar on page 11 of the manual that explains how to ensure you have the piston in the right position and the oil topped up. I totally missed that.

However, I still can't seem to thread the gauge itself so that it faces up as the old gauge did. It's facing sideways, which is OK. At least it's not facing down.

And, Sherline's rep, Craig, wrote this: "Anyone having trouble can always call us during business hours. We don't have an answering machine or voicemail (electronic customer avoidance system)--real people will actually answer the phone."

baglo

Old 03-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I prefer to talk to real people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
I picked up our Sherline tongue scale last year
at Burnaby Hobbies, 5209 Rumble Street in Burnaby. Phone: (604) 437-8217

He had them in stock and when I picked it up, he said he's carried them for years.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote