Shorepower cord loose connection - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Would be good for you to know if it's the plug or the receptacle. Is there an RV store around you can stop at and try out a different cord? Maybe even get a 90 degree adapter, just make sure it's twist lock before you buy it. Our receptacle is a Marinco EasyLock.
This is the replacement that I purchased and it works well: http://www.amazon.ca/ParkPower-30RPC...+RV+shore+cord

Fred
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19'
We had precisely this problem on our 19, delivery in August 15. Took it back to ETI and discovered that it would have worked if we simply pushed the cord further into the plug. Still prefer a plug that engages the "slots" on the receptacle rather than the threads.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you are still having problems, try contacting Marino. While I have not had a problem with the twist lock twisting & locking, the cover on mine wouldn't stay closed & flapped as I drove. I called Marino & they sent me a new inlet at no charge.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The 30-amp (NEMA L5-30) and 50-amp (NEMA L14-50) twist-lock connections used for detachable RV shore power cords (not just Escape - all brands) are not designed to be sealed, so that hood and threaded collar are an add-on - the result is often not easy to use, as the hood gets in the way of the twist-lock connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosebaugh View Post
Still prefer a plug that engages the "slots" on the receptacle rather than the threads.
I don't understand what that means - the electrical connection is secured by the pins in the slots, while the weather cover is held on by the threaded collar. What slots are used for what in this other style?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually these Marinco connectors were originally made for marine applications, here is a good video as to how to use and connect these sets as well as explain their limits.
DIY Shore Power | West Marine
in the video it clearly shows use of the locking connection, without the locking ring.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #26

It is possible that there is a bad batch of connectors floating around. Before retiring, the theatre I worked in used 20 amp/120V twist lock connectors. Each year building & repairing lighting extension cords, we went through around 100 male & female connectors.

One year we got a bad batch of Hubble female connectors. Evidently the blades in the connectors were not properly tempered, and with use they failed, not springing tight enough to the male blade to carry the rated current. Lots of arcing & overheated connections. A real pain since there was no way to tell the good from the bad until they failed. Since Hubble was the state contract supplier (at a discount of 75%) we had a bin full of them, mixed good & bad. Finally dumped all of them & got Hubble to replace them. Of course that didn't help with the many that were already installed on cords...
Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Folks:
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input. I had assumed that I had a "Marinco" plug and receptacle. I just double checked and my receptacle is labeled "Conntek". My plug is only marked with what I assume is a trademark. Thus, people's experiences with "Marinco" plugs and receptacles may not be relevant. Waiting to hear from ETI regarding this.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 June 25th Escape 19'
We also, like Loren and others have lots of trouble with the ring and screwing the black ring without feeling like it could strip out being soft plastic. We may have to wiggle it to make a secure connection. Trailer had problem when new, but we made it work. The right angle connector might be a fix.
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
There are 2 parts to the removable power cord connection: the actual plug (NEMA L5-30) and the sealing/locking ring. The plug is usually slightly soft yellow, orange or black plastic and needs to be pushed in firmly and then twisted slightly to lock it in. The ring is usually hard black plastic and seals the connection. There are 2 kinds of sealing rings - a threaded one and a 2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock. The ETI installed connector on the trailer has threads and the bayonet mount like Easy Lock grooves so either kind of ring can be used.

The plug brand does not matter - as long it meets the NEMA L3-30 standard.

Easy Lock rings: MARINCO Easy Lock Ring | West Marine

Most (many? all?) Marinco connectors/cords come with both rings. You can swap them, but it is hard to do so without breaking them.

The threaded rings are hard to get on right and I worry about cross-threading them. I have swapped out my threaded rings for the Easy Lock rings except for some almost permanent connections.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't understand what that means - the electrical connection is secured by the pins in the slots, while the weather cover is held on by the threaded collar. What slots are used for what in this other style?
The slots I mentioned are in the threaded area on the outside of the receptacle. They match the inside of the black ring mentioned today: "2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock"
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I don't futz with the ring; once the tang engages on the ground contact I figured it would stay put while camped and it has for many years.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Shorepower problems

Folks:
Reace called yesterday and very graciously walked me through connecting the shorepower cord. He quickly identified a key part of the problem--I was expecting "instant gratification" and not allowing the time required for the surge protector to work. Thus, I was assuming that I didn't have a good connection (and power) when I may have had it. Having said that, the connector is very "finicky" and (as several of you have mentioned), very prone to cross-threading. Reace suggested that the problem I was experiencing may have been due (in part at least) to the boot on the plug having slipped down too far over the actual plug. His suggestion of pushing the electrical cord (and therefore the attached plug) further into the boot finally did the trick. A protracted learning experience which hopefully I'll not have to repeat!
In retrospect, for the way I anticipate using the trailer--generally connecting it to shorepower to pre-cool the frig before trips, I probably would have been better off with the standard (non-detachable) electrical cord and just eliminated having to connect the separate cord altogether. Live & learn! Thanks to all of you and to Rae & Reace) for all the ideas and suggestions--I'll explore the right-angle connector.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
There are 2 parts to the removable power cord connection: the actual plug (NEMA L5-30) and the sealing/locking ring. The plug is usually slightly soft yellow, orange or black plastic and needs to be pushed in firmly and then twisted slightly to lock it in. The ring is usually hard black plastic and seals the connection.
Good description

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
There are 2 kinds of sealing rings - a threaded one and a 2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock. The ETI installed connector on the trailer has threads and the bayonet mount like Easy Lock grooves so either kind of ring can be used.
Easy Lock rings: MARINCO Easy Lock Ring | West Marine

Most (many? all?) Marinco connectors/cords come with both rings. You can swap them, but it is hard to do so without breaking them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosebaugh View Post
The slots I mentioned are in the threaded area on the outside of the receptacle. They match the inside of the black ring mentioned today: "2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock"
Thanks - I have not seen these. That makes three weatherproofing add-ons from Marinco:
  1. threaded collar
  2. Easy Lock
  3. Easily Engaged Locking (EEL) System
Old 11-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Actually these Marinco connectors were originally made for marine applications, here is a good video as to how to use and connect these sets as well as explain their limits.
DIY Shore Power | West Marine
in the video it clearly shows use of the locking connection, without the locking ring.
"Originally" the Marino line was intended for marine use - thus the name - but the underlying L5-30 connector is the same existing locking 30-amp three-wire design which has been used for all sorts of industrial and commercial equipment since the 1930's, with no provisions for sealing. The weatherproofing is very much an add-on for marine/RV use, adding security and weather resistance, and not part of the L5 design.
(I didn't watch the video - few online videos are worth it on a rural mobile connection)

I see on that page that Marinco now also has a newer and supposedly better add-on to the NEMA L5-30, instead of the threaded ring - the "Easily Engaged Locking (EEL) System". Unfortunately, their "full line" of cordsets and adapters apparently doesn't include any right-angle products for the trailer end, and the cords are useless for RVs anyway without a custom adapter because they have the locking connector on both ends, instead of a TT-30 (the standard 30-amp campground connector) on the end for the campsite outlet.

Anyone interested in another connector design which should latch securely and is designed to be weather-resistant - and isn't an adaptation of another design - might want to look for the SmartPlug. It is a new design I've seen in forum discussions, which pushes straight in then latches, and has rubber (or similar) seals. Like Marinco's products, it was originally intended for marine shore power use, but the SmartPlug is not based on the NEMA L5 connector. Like Marinco, SmartPlug does not offer a cord with their connector on the trailer end and a standard TT-30 on the campsite end, but at least they do offer separate connectors so customer can custom-build a cord.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I don't futz with the ring; once the tang engages on the ground contact I figured it would stay put while camped and it has for many years.
I agree that if you don't need weatherproofing, just not using the hood and collar (threaded or pronged) is a valid option.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
In retrospect, for the way I anticipate using the trailer--generally connecting it to shorepower to pre-cool the frig before trips, I probably would have been better off with the standard (non-detachable) electrical cord and just eliminated having to connect the separate cord altogether. Live & learn! Thanks to all of you and to Rae & Reace) for all the ideas and suggestions--I'll explore the right-angle connector.
Dave
Dave,
I got the idea of making a short light weight cord, (the Escape Cord is a very robust and well made cord) from other forum members. I ordered a male end and spliced it on a 3' - 4' extension cord. We use this to keep the fridge running, plugged into the house for most of the camping season. I try to keep the trailer ready to go all season. It really ruins my camping buzz having to pack the trailer before every trip. Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I made a short 15 amp power cord to leave BlackJack plugged in at home and use as a backup when traveling. Just plug n a 15 amp extension cord with the length desired. Even has a built in power indicator.....
Amazon.com: ParkPower 104SPPRV Pigtail Adapter, 30A / 125V Locking Connector & 15A / 125V Straight Blade with Locking Screw Male Plug: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
41MpQVF+11L.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #38

For less you can buy the two connectors & a short piece of SJ #12 cord & make your own.
The advantage is it gives you a spare if your Marinco connector on your standard 30 amp cord fails. The Marino 30 amp twist lock connector can be difficult to find on the road...
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_6494.jpg  
Old 11-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For less you can buy the two connectors & a short piece of SJ #12 cord & make your own.
The advantage is it gives you a spare if your Marinco connector on your standard 30 amp cord fails. The Marino 30 amp twist lock connector can be difficult to find on the road...
Yes, and very handy to have.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-10-2014 5-16-48 PM1_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote