Shorepower cord loose connection - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 17B, 2015 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Would be good for you to know if it's the plug or the receptacle. Is there an RV store around you can stop at and try out a different cord? Maybe even get a 90 degree adapter, just make sure it's twist lock before you buy it. Our receptacle is a Marinco EasyLock.
This is the replacement that I purchased and it works well: http://www.amazon.ca/ParkPower-30RPC...+RV+shore+cord

Fred

fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19'
We had precisely this problem on our 19, delivery in August 15. Took it back to ETI and discovered that it would have worked if we simply pushed the cord further into the plug. Still prefer a plug that engages the "slots" on the receptacle rather than the threads.

Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
If you are still having problems, try contacting Marino. While I have not had a problem with the twist lock twisting & locking, the cover on mine wouldn't stay closed & flapped as I drove. I called Marino & they sent me a new inlet at no charge.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:19 AM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The 30-amp (NEMA L5-30) and 50-amp (NEMA L14-50) twist-lock connections used for detachable RV shore power cords (not just Escape - all brands) are not designed to be sealed, so that hood and threaded collar are an add-on - the result is often not easy to use, as the hood gets in the way of the twist-lock connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rosebaugh View Post
Still prefer a plug that engages the "slots" on the receptacle rather than the threads.
I don't understand what that means - the electrical connection is secured by the pins in the slots, while the weather cover is held on by the threaded collar. What slots are used for what in this other style?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Actually these Marinco connectors were originally made for marine applications, here is a good video as to how to use and connect these sets as well as explain their limits.
DIY Shore Power | West Marine
in the video it clearly shows use of the locking connection, without the locking ring.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
It is possible that there is a bad batch of connectors floating around. Before retiring, the theatre I worked in used 20 amp/120V twist lock connectors. Each year building & repairing lighting extension cords, we went through around 100 male & female connectors.

One year we got a bad batch of Hubble female connectors. Evidently the blades in the connectors were not properly tempered, and with use they failed, not springing tight enough to the male blade to carry the rated current. Lots of arcing & overheated connections. A real pain since there was no way to tell the good from the bad until they failed. Since Hubble was the state contract supplier (at a discount of 75%) we had a bin full of them, mixed good & bad. Finally dumped all of them & got Hubble to replace them. Of course that didn't help with the many that were already installed on cords...
Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Folks:
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input. I had assumed that I had a "Marinco" plug and receptacle. I just double checked and my receptacle is labeled "Conntek". My plug is only marked with what I assume is a trademark. Thus, people's experiences with "Marinco" plugs and receptacles may not be relevant. Waiting to hear from ETI regarding this.
Thanks,
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 June 25th Escape 19'
We also, like Loren and others have lots of trouble with the ring and screwing the black ring without feeling like it could strip out being soft plastic. We may have to wiggle it to make a secure connection. Trailer had problem when new, but we made it work. The right angle connector might be a fix.
seastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #29

Trailer: ?
There are 2 parts to the removable power cord connection: the actual plug (NEMA L5-30) and the sealing/locking ring. The plug is usually slightly soft yellow, orange or black plastic and needs to be pushed in firmly and then twisted slightly to lock it in. The ring is usually hard black plastic and seals the connection. There are 2 kinds of sealing rings - a threaded one and a 2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock. The ETI installed connector on the trailer has threads and the bayonet mount like Easy Lock grooves so either kind of ring can be used.

The plug brand does not matter - as long it meets the NEMA L3-30 standard.

Easy Lock rings: MARINCO Easy Lock Ring | West Marine

Most (many? all?) Marinco connectors/cords come with both rings. You can swap them, but it is hard to do so without breaking them.

The threaded rings are hard to get on right and I worry about cross-threading them. I have swapped out my threaded rings for the Easy Lock rings except for some almost permanent connections.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't understand what that means - the electrical connection is secured by the pins in the slots, while the weather cover is held on by the threaded collar. What slots are used for what in this other style?
The slots I mentioned are in the threaded area on the outside of the receptacle. They match the inside of the black ring mentioned today: "2 tab 1/8 turn twist one - Marinco calls it Easy Lock"

Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote