Shorepower cord loose connection - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sandy, Utah
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Posts: 112
Shorepower cord loose connection

Folks:
I'm having a problem with the connection of the detachable shorepower cord on my 17B. We picked up the trailer from ETI in mid Aug. and are really enjoying it! We've taken two trips (of 3 weeks each) and are getting ready for a weekend trip before ski season starts.
We primarily boondock--frig on propane. Thus, have had minimal experience with the trailer on shorepower. The problem I'm experiencing is a loose (woobly) connection when I try to plug the detachable powercord into the trailer. I spent over an hour this morning trying to get power to pre-cool the frig before this weekend's trip (I will resort to pre-cooling using propane). Even when the lockring is tight, the plug is loose--the frig will come on but then quickly start flashing and sounding the alarm due to a lack of power. I'm finding this very frustrating--any ideas? At the present time, I'm regretting getting the detachable cord, as it doesn't seem to make a reliable connection.
Thanks for your help.
Dave
__________________

Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,222
If the lock ring is tight and holding, there should be no issue with the cord maintaining contact. It sounds like something might be defective, as I have never heard of this problem before. This type connection is used many different RVs. I would suggest calling Escape and seeing what is up.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,148
A loose connection will cause heating & burning and eventually the connection will fail.
The condition you described is unsafe and should be repaired immediately.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sandy, Utah
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Posts: 112
Jim:
Thanks for your reply. The plug wiggles even when the lockring is tight. I think that you're right as far as something being defective--it seems as the plug and receptacle are not really compatible. I've emailed ETI, and am waiting to hear from them.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sandy, Utah
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Posts: 112
Steve:
Thanks for your reply and warning! I'm not seeing any evidence of either heating or burning, as I don't even think any connection is occurring. I think that Jim is right in his conclusion that something must be defective--the trailer is less than 3 months old. It shouldn't be so hard to plug in an electrical cord! Waiting to hear from ETI.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #6
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,695
The detachable set up requires you to twist the unit to tighten the cord onto the pins. The locking ring is just that, it locks the tight connection. You should be able to to use the cord without the locking ring if used properly. I also suggest you purchase a 90 degree attachment that takes the wire pressure off the connection point. Here is one Amazon.com: Marinco 1RPC50RV Right Angle Locking Adapter: Sports & Outdoors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21rWxJ8GS3L.jpg (7.4 KB, 7 views)
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Trailer: 2015 17B, 2015 Highlander
Posts: 82
Loose shore power cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Folks:
I'm having a problem with the connection of the detachable shorepower cord on my 17B. We picked up the trailer from ETI in mid Aug. and are really enjoying it! We've taken two trips (of 3 weeks each) and are getting ready for a weekend trip before ski season starts.
We primarily boondock--frig on propane. Thus, have had minimal experience with the trailer on shorepower. The problem I'm experiencing is a loose (woobly) connection when I try to plug the detachable powercord into the trailer. I spent over an hour this morning trying to get power to pre-cool the frig before this weekend's trip (I will resort to pre-cooling using propane). Even when the lockring is tight, the plug is loose--the frig will come on but then quickly start flashing and sounding the alarm due to a lack of power. I'm finding this very frustrating--any ideas? At the present time, I'm regretting getting the detachable cord, as it doesn't seem to make a reliable connection.
Thanks for your help.
Dave
Had EXACTLY the same problem on our two month old pre-owned 2015 17B delivered to the original owner in June 2015. Also, it always seemed like I was cross threading the ring than holds it in. Even with the ring fully tightened, the connection wobbled! Consequently the surge protector (EMS) would cut the power. Disappointing to say the least.

Even though the trailer was brand new, second owner has no warrantee. So I purchased another shore cord from amazon and it works perfectly.

Fred
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The detachable set up requires you to twist the unit to tighten the cord onto the pins. The locking ring is just that, it locks the tight connection. You should be able to to use the cord without the locking ring if used properly. I also suggest you purchase a 90 degree attachment that takes the wire pressure off the connection point. Here is one Amazon.com: Marinco 1RPC50RV Right Angle Locking Adapter: Sports & Outdoors
Even cheaper for Canadians, that doesn't happen very often.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002...A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
Had EXACTLY the same problem on our two month old pre-owned 2015 17B delivered to the original owner in June 2015. Also, it always seemed like I was cross threading the ring than holds it in. Even with the ring fully tightened, the connection wobbled! Consequently the surge protector (EMS) would cut the power. Disappointing to say the least.

Even though the trailer was brand new, second owner has no warrantee. So I purchased another shore cord from amazon and it works perfectly.

Fred
I have had no problems maintaining a good connection, but the threaded ring is almost impossible to get on without cross threading. Not going to worry about it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sandy, Utah
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Posts: 112
Fred:
Sorry that you experienced this problem (and that as a second owner you had no warranty), but it is reassuring that I'm not the only one experiencing it. Thanks for the reassurance. I'll wait to hear from ETI before I take any further action.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,868
As Jim mentions, it's a twist lock connector. Are you able to get it to twist/lock BEFORE trying the locking ring? it doesn't turn much but it should be enough that you can wiggle the cord and the plug stays locked to the receptacle.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Posts: 63
For my 2015 21, I purchased a 30 Amp right angle adapter by the same manufacturer as the 50 Amp listed above. The part number for the 30 Amp is "1RPCRV".

Cheers!

Fletch
PnFSJCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Posts: 414
The twist lock connector on fiver works correctly on both trailers. The one I got with the TA does not twist/lock on either one. It is held on only by the ring and wobbles even when the ring is tight. I suspect they got a bad batch. Sad.
__________________
2015 Escape 5 TA
2016 Ford F-150
captmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnFSJCA View Post
For my 2015 21, I purchased a 30 Amp right angle adapter by the same manufacturer as the 50 Amp listed above. The part number for the 30 Amp is "1RPCRV".

Cheers!

Fletch
Good catch on the amperage. I just copied the model number from Jim N, as most things on Amazon.com cannot be shipped to Canada. This is the 30A model.

http://www.amazon.ca/Right-Angle-Cor...ngle+connector
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 14,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Sad.
Why so glum, chum?
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sandy, Utah
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Posts: 112
Bob:
Thanks for your (and Jim's) suggestions regarding twisting the plug. This seems to be the problem--I'm not able to twist the plug to get it to lock. Obviously tightening the lockring is not doing anything as the plug has not locked. I talked briefly with Rae (from ETI), and this is apparently a not uncommon problem. She suggested a possible fix (lengthening the distance between the plug and the lockring assembly), but so far, I've not been able to get it to work. I'll keep trying--thanks for your ideas!
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Trailer: 2015 17B, 2015 Highlander
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
Bob:
Thanks for your (and Jim's) suggestions regarding twisting the plug. This seems to be the problem--I'm not able to twist the plug to get it to lock. Obviously tightening the lockring is not doing anything as the plug has not locked. I talked briefly with Rae (from ETI), and this is apparently a not uncommon problem. She suggested a possible fix (lengthening the distance between the plug and the lockring assembly), but so far, I've not been able to get it to work. I'll keep trying--thanks for your ideas!
Dave
I was also not able to "Lock" by twisting the plug. I'm thinking the receptacle and the plug were not a match. The new shore cord does "lock" and the ring goes on easily for a secure connection!

Fred
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #18
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,868
Would be good for you to know if it's the plug or the receptacle. Is there an RV store around you can stop at and try out a different cord? Maybe even get a 90 degree adapter, just make sure it's twist lock before you buy it. Our receptacle is a Marinco EasyLock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 170235-2924(1) (586 x 600).jpg (25.6 KB, 6 views)
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #19
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,868
The mate to the receptacle is also a Marinco.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,902
I've had several of these plugs over the years. On occasion, when it didn't seem like it wanted to twist and lock, I found pushing very firmly on it solved the problem. I've never had one that absolutely refused to twist and lock.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×