Should I replace tires now or later? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 06:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would put your best 2 tires on the front axle as they seem to get the most flats.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just to be different, mine was the driver side rear.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Just to be different, mine was the driver side rear.
You must have gotten the nail while backing up.....
Old 04-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I guess I'll put the two new ones on the front axle. The extra spare was purchased for the Alaska trip. You know, better to have and not need than need and not have. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:33 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I am leaning towards the new Goodyear Endurance, in stock at GY in Winnipeg, plus I need to get my snows off the truck (although we might get 5-10cm of snow tomorrow coming up from the Dakotas). These Endurance are the first ST tires to be made in the USA, just introduced a couple of months ago.

Adrian
I am very interested in how the Goodyear Endurance tires work out. I just got my 17B in March and wouldn't mind replacing the Carlisle tires that came on it and the spare with the Goodyears.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I am very interested in how the Goodyear Endurance tires work out. I just got my 17B in March and wouldn't mind replacing the Carlisle tires that came on it and the spare with the Goodyears.
Just curious why? I can understand replacing Marathon's, but from what I've read the Carlisle is a well-liked tire.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
Just curious why? I can understand replacing Marathon's, but from what I've read the Carlisle is a well-liked tire.
Hi: skyfree... Goodyear Marathon trailer tires got a bum rap. In 2007 a Chinese maker of valve stems produced around 13- 15 million with out UV protection. These failed from cracks in the stems causing sudden deflation of the tires. When I found out about it I checked mine and all 3 on our '07 5.0 were cracked. I towed to my tire store and for 30 bucks had new ones put on. Replaced the tires after 6 yrs. of use with out incident.
This is MHO...YMMV!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I think it is good advice to replace the rubber valve stems with metal ones at any opportunity. This would seem like the perfect opportunity Adrian.

What about the option I see of replacing the rim and tire at the same time? I have read where it is less expensive to do both. Not sure that is true. Those of us that have the stock rims are probably beginning to see rust spots forming on the rim.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I think it is good advice to replace the rubber valve stems with metal ones at any opportunity. This would seem like the perfect opportunity Adrian.

What about the option I see of replacing the rim and tire at the same time? I have read where it is less expensive to do both. Not sure that is true. Those of us that have the stock rims are probably beginning to see rust spots forming on the rim.
Alf replaced the rims when he put the Marathons on in 2013, then the trailer had only one trip to FL then trip here before we bought it. The tires though were made end of 2011, so figure it's time to replace them to be safe especially when we plan a lot of traveling this year.

The Endurance are on sale for $134 regularly $158, so can get these new made in US tires for about the same price as the Carlisles and know they won't be 2016 tires since they have just been introduced.

That storm coming from the Dakotas is just starting, now they are saying 15-20 cm, welcome back to winter for us

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: skyfree... Goodyear Marathon trailer tires got a bum rap. In 2007 a Chinese maker of valve stems produced around 13- 15 million with out UV protection. These failed from cracks in the stems causing sudden deflation of the tires. When I found out about it I checked mine and all 3 on our '07 5.0 were cracked. I towed to my tire store and for 30 bucks had new ones put on. Replaced the tires after 6 yrs. of use with out incident.
This is MHO...YMMV!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Nothing wrong with Marathon's but they are only rated for a max speed of 65 mph in most sizes. http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf. Carlisle's are rated for 81 mph. Carlisle Brand | Radial Trail HD Tire Information.

Those Endurance tires look great with a speed rating of 87 mph and a higher load rating.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Nothing wrong with Marathon's but they are only rated for a max speed of 65 mph in most sizes. http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf. Carlisle's are rated for 81 mph. Carlisle Brand | Radial Trail HD Tire Information.
Carlisle Tires may be rated for 81 mph, but I'd opine that actually towing at that speed is not a very good idea, especially given the woeful condition of many roads these days. In California you can push the envelope somewhat with our 55mph towing limit, but I'm pretty certain that at 80 mph you'd be talking to the CHP!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I like the idea of a travel log, we actually put a book in the trailer nearly three years ago and haven't used it. Knowing I just did brakes and bearings (650 km or so ago in Thunder Bay) this month and getting new tires, I should start it up, it's great that when the trailer is hooked up the mileage with trailer shows in the window where brake controller info shows on our truck.

Adrian
Yes, I have those journals, too. Nothing there!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Loren, I just replaced the TV tires (all of them) but it seems that it is the drive axles that affect wear the most, although some have the opinion that it is the front tires due to turns. (Was on the subject of rotating tires.). A front wheel drive also has the engine and transmission weight.

As far as trailer tires, no telling. FirstJim's idea of the front being better is as good as any. Let us know if you have problems and where!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tires

Hi Adrian
Fill the bird feeder and the refrigerator, there ain't nothin you can do about snow.
You got your answer. Yes get new tires.
And the fear of a new tire discussion was well founded. Once you get those new Goodyears I'll come up to Manitoba and ride with you in your attempt to set a new land speed record for towed Escapes. The trophy for the Indianapolis 500 race is the Borg-Warner, the Escape land speed trophy will be the Jim Norman I can't stop for coffee, just gas and donuts printed on the side of a motorman's friend!
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #35

Lift off in about 3 weeks......
Old 04-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I had not seen that new Carlisle speed rating. Does anybody know if the Radial Trail HD is what comes standard on Escapes now?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Eric
Just don't forget what happened to Mom's car on that little cross country run down in Illinois
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
The Carlisle tires that came on my 17B are basically a rain / pavement tire which is great for towing between RV parks. For me, I'd like a tire with more of a car tire tread pattern for gravel roads, mud, etc. Just a personal preference based on where I camp.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I had not seen that new Carlisle speed rating. Does anybody know if the Radial Trail HD is what comes standard on Escapes now?
That's what is on my 17B that I picked up in February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
Carlisle Tires may be rated for 81 mph, but I'd opine that actually towing at that speed is not a very good idea, especially given the woeful condition of many roads these days. In California you can push the envelope somewhat with our 55mph towing limit, but I'm pretty certain that at 80 mph you'd be talking to the CHP!
Agree, but I tow at 65 and don't want to be towing right at the limit. That's just me though...I'm sure it's fine to do that all day long on Marathon's as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Eric
Just don't forget what happened to Mom's car on that little cross country run down in Illinois
Dave
Yah, but had I made it, it wouldda been a new Peoria to Champaign record! What the was that other car doing out there anyway, they shudda been home in bed....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote