Should I replace tires now or later? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #41

Trailer: 2016 North Point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Adrian,

YES!!!

I'm with Jim on this. I had year separation on a two year old tire. The tread flapped around and caused $5,000 damage before I could stop. I now plan to replace my tires every three years with the best tires I can get at the time I buy them.

Rich
Oh that doesn't sound good. You always need good tyres. It's amazing how bad some people let their tyres get before they change them.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
The Carlisle tires that came on my 17B are basically a rain / pavement tire which is great for towing between RV parks.
Well mine have done the Alaska Hwy. and two Baja's and are about to head across Canada. I guess we all have our own comfort levels.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well mine have done the Alaska Hwy. and two Baja's and are about to head across Canada. I guess we all have our own comfort levels.

Ron
Agreed. Glad your tires have held up well. I'm kind of picky about my tires. Given that I'll mainly be on back roads I'd like to have a more aggressive tread and the eight ply D rated tires vs the rain tread and six ply C rated tires that came on my 17B. The Goodyear Endurance seem like a good choice.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Agreed. Glad your tires have held up well. I'm kind of picky about my tires. Given that I'll mainly be on back roads I'd like to have a more aggressive tread and the eight ply D rated tires vs the rain tread and six ply C rated tires that came on my 17B. The Goodyear Endurance seem like a good choice.
Good tires from what I've read. I plan to use Goodyear Endurance once it's time to change the factory Carlisles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Given that I'll mainly be on back roads I'd like to have a more aggressive tread and the eight ply D rated tires vs the rain tread and six ply C rated tires that came on my 17B.
Just in case anyone doesn't realize this...
these are not six-ply or eight-ply tires. The "6-ply rating" and "8-ply rating" descriptions are just a redundant way of saying "Load Range C" and "Load Range D". The "ply ratings" mean "equivalent in load capacity to a tire from many decades ago which was constructed very differently and had this many layers of reinforcement".

Typically, modern light truck and trailer tires typically have two or three sidewall plies, plus some belts under the tread; the Load Range C and Load Range D tires may have the same number of plies in their construction, and neither will have six or more plies.

TireRack: TIRE TECH - Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

I understand the idea of choosing a higher-than-required load range for a reserve of carcass burst strength. The risk of referring to ply ratings is just that someone thinks there will be more layers of reinforcement protecting the sidewalls with a higher load range.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Just in case anyone doesn't realize this...
these are not six-ply or eight-ply tires. The "6-ply rating" and "8-ply rating" descriptions are just a redundant way of saying "Load Range C" and "Load Range D". The "ply ratings" mean "equivalent in load capacity to a tire from many decades ago which was constructed very differently and had this many layers of reinforcement".

Typically, modern light truck and trailer tires typically have two or three sidewall plies, plus some belts under the tread; the Load Range C and Load Range D tires may have the same number of plies in their construction, and neither will have six or more plies.

TireRack: TIRE TECH - Load Range / Ply Rating Identification

I understand the idea of choosing a higher-than-required load range for a reserve of carcass burst strength. The risk is just that someone thinks there will be more layers of reinforcement protecting the sidewalls with a higher load range.
Brian looking to replace tires on trailer . There are 2012 tires . Is the D better then C in strength ? Confused ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I understand where a more aggressive tread may be beneficial on a tow vehicle ( traction , steering ) but since the tires on a trailer are basically going along for the ride . Does a more aggressive tread have any effect on towing ? . I can see where hydroplaning could be an issue.
IE ; Would snow tires on a trailer make it tow better on snowy roads?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian looking to replace tires on trailer . There are 2012 tires . Is the D better then C in strength ? Confused ? Pat
What about D Carlisles ? Maxis ? I think I want to wait on the Goodyears until they have been used for awhile . All opinions appreciated. Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Tires of Load Range D will have higher weight-carrying capacity than tires of Load Range C, but only if inflated to the higher pressure allowed for the higher load range.

A Load Range D tire normally allows an inflation pressure of 65 psi (and requires 65 psi for maximum capacity); a Load Range C tire normally allows an inflation pressure of 50 psi (and requires 50 psi for maximum capacity). If you inflate a Load Range D tire to 50 psi or less, it has the same capacity as a Load Range C tire at the same pressure.

Sidewalls of tires of Load Range D may have greater resistance to damage by hazards (rocks, curbs, whatever) than tires of Load Range C, but not necessarily.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Tires of Load Range D will have higher weight-carrying capacity than tires of Load Range C, but only if inflated to the higher pressure allowed for the higher load range.

A Load Range D tire normally allows an inflation pressure of 65 psi (and requires 65 psi for maximum capacity); a Load Range C tire normally allows an inflation pressure of 50 psi (and requires 50 psi for maximum capacity). If you inflate a Load Range D tire to 50 psi or less, it has the same capacity as a Load Range C tire at the same pressure.

Sidewalls of tires of Load Range D may have greater resistance to damage by hazards (rocks, curbs, whatever) than tires of Load Range C, but not necessarily.
Thankyou Brian . Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So my new D tires are " good to go" as long as I can inflate past 50?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I understand where a more aggressive tread may be beneficial on a tow vehicle ( traction , steering ) but since the tires on a trailer are basically going along for the ride . Does a more aggressive tread have any effect on towing ? . I can see where hydroplaning could be an issue.
IE ; Would snow tires on a trailer make it tow better on snowy roads?
My hunch is the only benefit of a more aggressive tread on a trailer tire would be in stopping and/or side to side movement. In my case the side to side would be beneficial for some of the back roads (gravel, rock, bare dirt) I travel which aren't necessarily flat all the time. However, I also want the higher load rated D tires for safety. Again, this is my personal preference. YMMV.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Was glad I replaced my OEM Carlisle which still had about 25% of its tread left or maybe 4/32? Anyway we traversed for East to West Kebler Pass after it had rained some in October '15. They put some clay-like substance to smooth it out evidently and the trailer while going downhill through a beautiful Aspen Grove started sliding towards the oncoming side if that dirt road. Don't know for sure that the new Maxis made a difference, however it felt a little close for comfort.

The Goodyear Endurance looks good and is at a good price point: $110 for 205/75r15. Probably my next set.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
They're good to go at 50 psi... or even less - anything over 35 psi provides adequate capacity. They don't need to be pumped up any higher, but you can, such as for higher speed rating or stiffness.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Would snow tires on a trailer make it tow better on snowy roads?
Yes. For one thing, the trailer tires would be less likely to lock up under braking; once locked, lateral traction is gone so control is lost. This is essentially the same as the rear tires on a front-wheel-drive vehicle; winter tires on only the front is a really bad idea.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Was glad I replaced my OEM Carlisle which still had about 25% of its tread left or maybe 4/32? Anyway we traversed for East to West Kebler Pass after it had rained some in October '15. They put some clay-like substance to smooth it out evidently and the trailer while going downhill through a beautiful Aspen Grove started sliding towards the oncoming side if that dirt road. Don't know for sure that the new Maxis made a difference, however it felt a little close for comfort.

The Goodyear Endurance looks good and is at a good price point: $110 for 205/75r15. Probably my next set.
Hi Ross so you bought the Maxis ? The Maxis made you slide ? Or would of because of the road surface made you slide ? Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #57

Pat, I was going slow due to conditions yet the trailer started a slow slide as I was going slightly right and slightly downhill. I think having the new tires helped keep it from going into the ditch on the oncoming side of the road. Don't think the brand mattered though.

I will say the Maxxis have significantly more tread and have had them longer/more miles than the Carlisles.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
What company? According to Carlisle, their trailer tires should be inflated to the highest psi they allow for that tire.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Pat, I was going slow due to conditions yet the trailer started a slow slide as I was going slightly right and slightly downhill. I think having the new tires helped keep it from going into the ditch on the oncoming side of the road. Don't think the brand mattered though.

I will say the Maxxis have significantly more tread and have had them longer/more miles than the Carlisles.
Ross good to know . I was thinking of the Maxis as replacements . I was thinking of the D? Pat
Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #60

Mine are C; interesting that the Endurance skipped that category.