Should I replace tires now or later? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Should I replace tires now or later?

At the risk of starting yet another conversation about tires, I would like just a simple answer if possible either a straight yes or no to my question.

I have Goodyear Marathons made in Dec. 2011 on our 5.0SA. I had planned on changing them before a trip to FL this winter however just read the thread on FGRV entitled "Shredded tires - lessons learned" which got me thinking perhaps sooner is better. I don't know just how many miles are on these tires, they look fine, lots of tread, had them off looking them over this month when had the bearings done and brakes checked. They have been ON to FL two or three times, MB to south TX and MB to AZ and MB to southern ON plus lots of local trips.

We are heading to Vancouver Island in a week and a half and wonder whether I should get new tires now. What do you think, YES or NO.

Thanks
Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Better safe than sorry, I'd go ahead and travel with new tires, less potential issues plus less chance for flats with good rubber.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Adrian,

YES!!!

I'm with Jim on this. I had year separation on a two year old tire. The tread flapped around and caused $5,000 damage before I could stop. I now plan to replace my tires every three years with the best tires I can get at the time I buy them.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
At the risk of starting yet another conversation about tires, I would like just a simple answer if possible either a straight yes or no to my question.

I have Goodyear Marathons made in Dec. 2011 on our 5.0SA. I had planned on changing them before a trip to FL this winter however just read the thread on FGRV entitled "Shredded tires - lessons learned" which got me thinking perhaps sooner is better. I don't know just how many miles are on these tires, they look fine, lots of tread, had them off looking them over this month when had the bearings done and brakes checked. They have been ON to FL two or three times, MB to south TX and MB to AZ and MB to southern ON plus lots of local trips.

We are heading to Vancouver Island in a week and a half and wonder whether I should get new tires now. What do you think, YES or NO.

Thanks
Adrian
Hi: emers382... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Adrian
Our 2010 had an estimated 40,000 miles minimum on them in the spring of 2016. The tires looked ok but were worn to approx 4/32 tread depth. I put new marathons on from our Goodyear dealer in Cedar Rapids. The base price on the tire was $82.00 American. Ours are 205 75 R14s I think my total out of the shop was $416.00 or so. New stems, balanced etc. it was worth it to me to get it done. I don't mind spending a little money on upgrades or wearable items. I hate spending money because of preventable breakdowns, catastrophic failures and the introspect that I shouldn't have cheaped out. If you're keeping the trailer I'd vote for spending the money. Good to hear you're gonna be doing some traveling this year.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
YES !! When we decided to travel to California from Wisconsin , we also decided to buy new trailer tires . If you can afford the trip then you can afford the new tires , it's all part of the cost of traveling.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I agree on changing out. I always lean towards changing out tires sooner rather than later. Sooner, you'll be out a little extra cash. Waiting too long, you can be out a whole lot more!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: emers382... As a fine group of eastern Canadians always say, "You pays yer money and you takes yer choose"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I asked my tire guy pretty much the same question last fall in regards to my truck tires. He told me if I was concerned with it to replace them, I did.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Since it's probably about time for me to rotate trailer tires and I have two new spares, should I put them on the front axle or the rear one? Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Since it's probably about time for me to rotate trailer tires and I have two new spares, should I put them on the front axle or the rear one? Loren
The drive axle. But don't go by me cause I don't know nothin'.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Thanks
Adrian
The tread has nothing to do with it for trailer tires. They are due to be replaced. Or past due.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
The tread has nothing to do with it for trailer tires. They are due to be replaced. Or past due.
Thanks Cathy I knew they were six years old come December, was just hoping to make it until the fall, but with the long trip ahead thought I'd be safer replacing now.

Thanks to all others who replied, note Loren had a question perhaps we could help him out.

I am leaning towards the new Goodyear Endurance, in stock at GY in Winnipeg, plus I need to get my snows off the truck (although we might get 5-10cm of snow tomorrow coming up from the Dakotas). These Endurance are the first ST tires to be made in the USA, just introduced a couple of months ago.

Adrian
Old 04-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We decided to create a travel log for our trailer so we can keep track of where we have been as well as the distance travelled. This would also allow logging of any maintenance and any changes in major components such as tires, brakes etc. That would enable anyone to better answer the question of when tire changes should take place.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Adrian, I think the Goodyear Endurance look like a fine choice.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
We decided to create a travel log for our trailer so we can keep track of where we have been as well as the distance travelled. This would also allow logging of any maintenance and any changes in major components such as tires, brakes etc. That would enable anyone to better answer the question of when tire changes should take place.
Interesting idea.
I wonder if there is a good app out there like Trip Journal: Mobile Travel App for iPhone, Android, Symbian and Bada that could automate the tracking part of it. Anyone use this one or something like it?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #17

I like the idea of a travel log, we actually put a book in the trailer nearly three years ago and haven't used it. Knowing I just did brakes and bearings (650 km or so ago in Thunder Bay) this month and getting new tires, I should start it up, it's great that when the trailer is hooked up the mileage with trailer shows in the window where brake controller info shows on our truck.

Adrian
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
Any help for Loren, I only have one axle to worry about?

Adrian
Old 04-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
I like the idea of a travel log, we actually put a book in the trailer nearly three years ago and haven't used it. Knowing I just did brakes and bearings (650 km or so ago in Thunder Bay) this month and getting new tires, I should start it up, it's great that when the trailer is hooked up the mileage with trailer shows in the window where brake controller info shows on our truck.

Adrian
We started right from new, and remember to update it every evening. We do it manually, then load it onto a spreadsheet after every trip. An app for a log sounds good, but probably needs data, and there are many areas without cellphone coverage. So for now, a manual version has to suffice.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Any help for Loren, I only have one axle to worry about?

Adrian
Given, for most, that the tires age out before the tread shows wear, I don't rotate tires on my single axle trailer. And, I believe Reace said to rotate front to back on tandem axle trailers, not to rotate side to side.