Shower head drip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
Omi

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Shower head drip

I don't find this topic anywhere. We have a new 17B and when we use the bathroom sink faucets, the shower head drips pretty heavily. We thought it could just drip into the sink but the water wants to go down the outside of the hose and fall on the floor. Have to admit we haven't taken a close look at the mechanics of it other than trying to push the shower button thoroughly off. Any suggestions?

Omi
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Which shower button are you pushing off, the one on the shower head, or the one on the sink? Hint: the one on the sink is the culprit. Try cycling it a few times with full water flowing through. You might have a bit of debris caught in the valve.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You pull up on the rod next to the faucet to shunt water to the shower head. Push that down to send water to the faucet instead.

The button on the shower head is not supposed to shut off water entirely, because, if it did, the water pump would also shut down, making taking a shower irritating.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19'
unscrew the shower head and check if the o-ring is in there. Ours had similar issue and found it was missing an o-ring, found a stack inside the drawer, put one in and it stopped dripping.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We had the same problem after picking up our trailer last year. We tried everything -- replacing the shower head, checking the O ring, etc., but nothing we did could stop the dripping. (Nothing like trying to brush your teeth with water streaming over your head.) We finally ended up putting the shower head in the trash can and just dumping out the water. Called Escape and they sent us a new faucet. We replaced it and tested it but, since we haven't really 'used' it, we'll see what happens on our upcoming trip.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #6

The described problem is not due to anything with the shower head. It’s the diverter valve. Which is on the faucet.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
'sclifrickson' is correct, it is the diverter valve. When we asked Escape for a new one, that's when they just sent us the whole faucet.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
...The button on the shower head is not supposed to shut off water entirely, because, if it did, the water pump would also shut down, making taking a shower irritating.
Also the other reason the button on the shower head is designed to leak a little is that if it did not, then the water would back flow back down inside the hose and when you turn the button back on the water would be either cold or hot and not the temperature mix you left it at. That first blast would be a surprise!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Also the other reason the button on the shower head is designed to leak a little is that if it did not, then the water would back flow back down inside the hose and when you turn the button back on the water would be either cold or hot and not the temperature mix you left it at. That first blast would be a surprise!

Not to be rude, but that makes no sense to me. Maybe I’m being stoopid today.

I don’t care for the drippy stock shower head that continues to dribble when you apply its shutoff valve, which is why I’ve replaced it in both of our Escapes with a non-leaky head made by Camco. Every time I turn the Camco back on during my Navy showers, the water temperature is exactly where I left it - no surprise blast of hot or cold. And no drips when I shut it off.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Not to be rude, but that makes no sense to me. Maybe I’m being stoopid today.

I don’t care for the drippy stock shower head that continues to dribble when you apply its shutoff valve, which is why I’ve replaced it in both of our Escapes with a non-leaky head made by Camco. Every time I turn the Camco back on during my Navy showers, the water temperature is exactly where I left it - no surprise blast of hot or cold. And no drips when I shut it off.
Maybe it is the size of the Escape trailer and/or the water system design details that make it work without issue. I’ve never had any problems with the outside shower. For whatever reason the cold shower blast is a known problem in the RV world.
https://www.fateunbound.com/rv-shower-cold-blast-fix/
Old 04-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Maybe it is the size of the Escape trailer and/or the water system design details that make it work without issue. I’ve never had any problems with the outside shower. For whatever reason the cold shower blast is a known problem in the RV world.
Seems to me that since the cold shower blast is a common issue with RV shower fixtures, some ingenious manufacturer would have installed check valves in their fixtures eliminating the problem. Think of the advertising boon that manufacturer would have over it's competitors! No cold shower blast with our fixture!

Of course, they would have to charge a little more for the new and improved model.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #12

Quote:
I did have the cold water blast issue when not hooked up to city water. So I replaced the shower head with the Oxygenics RV head that does slow the stream to a trickle on purpose. https://oxygenics.com/products/bodyspa-rv/ We love it! The shower is strong while being a low flow rate and even with the trickle, our navy showers use less water than the stock head. One reason is that I position it so it dribbles into the sink which is plugged. Then when done with my shower, use the water in the sink to shave.

The link you posted is interesting. A check valve on the hot water line would solve the cold blast for sure. Thanks for the info.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #13

Shower head drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Seems to me that since the cold shower blast is a common issue with RV shower fixtures, some ingenious manufacturer would have installed check valves in their fixtures eliminating the problem. Think of the advertising boon that manufacturer would have over it's competitors! No cold shower blast with our fixture!

Of course, they would have to charge a little more for the new and improved model.

Escape does put a check valve at the water heater. Perhaps the shower thing is a side benefit, although I still don’t understand the physics of why the output temp of a shower would change because of a lack of one.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Escape does put a check valve at the water heater. Perhaps the shower thing is a side benefit, although I still don’t understand the physics of why the output temp of a shower would change because of a lack of one.
The check valve is not on older trailers. Is it possible that the resistance through the hot water side including the heater is greater so the pressure of cold at the mixing valve is higher than hot? This would act to push water back the other way in the hot line as the air pocket in the water heater absorbs some of it. Even a little bit will give the cold blast. I agree a check valve at the hot water heater should help but in the newer trailers it is on the cold side.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #15

Quote:
The check valve is not on older trailers. Is it possible that the resistance through the hot water side including the heater is greater so the pressure of cold at the mixing valve is higher than hot? This would act to push water back the other way in the hot line as the air pocket in the water heater absorbs some of it. Even a little bit will give the cold blast. I agree a check valve at the hot water heater should help but in the newer trailers it is on the cold side.

That tickled my brain a bit and I remembered something about someone quite awhile ago having a problem where they couldn’t get hot water out of their HW heater, only warm. Turned out that they had the external shower shut off at the shower head but had not turned the individual taps off and so water was flowing from the cold side into the hot when they turned anything on elsewhere in the system. Our 2017 has a check valve at the water heater. Are you saying that they started putting checks on the cold line instead subsequent to this?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
If you deleted the sink in your bathroom don't bother reading any further.

The cold water blast has bugged me in every trailer with a shower. However, since we have the sink in the bathroom we just lay the shower head in the sink, when off and soaping, and then hit the button while draining those first two seconds in the sink. No more cold water blast!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Interesting. We pick up our new 5.0 next week. I will have to see if the shower performs differently than our 2013 19' before I replace the stock shower head with the Oxygenics. We still love the spray from the Oxygenics because it mixes air with the water that give a strong flow but acts like an aerator on a kitchen sink. It is really pleasant to use.
- Bremerton, WA