Sink Molding separating from wall - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Sink Molding separating from wall

Hello,

During a rainy spell a couple of weeks ago, while we were sitting inside and enjoying the view, we noticed an item needing attention in SittEscape. Where the backsplash meets the bathroom wall in our 17B, the backsplash is separating from the wall. I've attached a picture fyi.

Anywhere else and it's probably no big deal. By the cooking area, it becomes a trap for crumbs, vermin, nasty critters,etc. The screw right below the separation no longer bites into the bathroom sidewall, hence the problem. Obviously, the screw just popped from the support. I can't just add a longer screw for fear of piercing the bath wall.

Thoughts on a remedy? I've tried some thin strips of VHB tape but, after a while, even the tape fails. I don't think I just want to caulk over the gap. Clear caulking doesn't sound any better. A larger sized screw [not longer] would require a different vinyl cap.

So I'm looking for some other ideas.

KSitte

PS: Yup, I know: we have to get out more, even when it rains. Otherwise we sit around and think of things to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Back Splash Separation.pdf (108.8 KB, 127 views)

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I would imagine you could just pop the caps, and take out the screws, the pull the laminate, clean and put back together again. off
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 17
Would each time taking the screws in and out make matters worse, slowly wobbling out the hole, just thinking aloud here. Isn't the tabbed in wood to the shell just pine? Wonder if a little bigger DIA screw, for more bite, with the length cut right (with a dremel tool cut off wheel) would work. I guess the cap screw fit would decide that answer.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #4

It should be no issue reusing the screws, just don't overtighten them. If a larger diameter was needed, I would just buy ones of the same length.

The caps and cap holders can be bought at Home Depot, and likely other hardware stores too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 15A
We have a similar thing happening on our 2012 15A trailer after just one year.
The 3 screws holding the back splash onto the drivers side wall are all coming loose along with about 3 more going down the vertical wall on the back end of the galley. I have tightened them twice now in the last 2 weeks and concerned that it may happen again. I thought about putting in a larger diameter, same length screws to see if that made a difference but have not done that as yet. It will be the next step I guess if they come loose again.

Maybe it will require putting in some additional screws to beef up the 3 that are already there? That is assuming that there is a solid board in the wall along the length of the back splash! My assumption is that there probably is a backer board there. Will discuss with Escape first before I install additional screws.

Ksitte - you may want to consider installing 2 or more additional screws as well to beef up the one that is coming loose. I am sure that would make a big difference and keep the loose one in place. There is likely a horizontal 1x2 behind the wall where the existing screw is positioned?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 17
Don't know if it helps but there is the ole file down a toothpick and glue it into the wobbled out hole for screw bite trick. Good luck.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: ksitte... Our trim has been like that since day one. The gap came in handy last trip out as we had a visit from some ants. Put a little anti ant powder back in there and the ants are gone without a trace. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Maybe it will require putting in some additional screws to beef up the 3 that are already there? That is assuming that there is a solid board in the wall along the length of the back splash! My assumption is that there probably is a backer board there. Will discuss with Escape first before I install additional screws.
When you have the backsplash off, you could feel where the backing is through the vinyl and insulation.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #9

Trailer: No RV for now.
Why not call or email Escape Trailer and ask Reace about this? Just a suggestion.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Even if you're out of warranty, Reace may have some suggestions regarding repairs.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #11

Before bothering anyone at Escape, I would still see if you can do it yourself, it should be quite easy. If you still can't make it all better, then drop Reace an email for sure.

In the photo you show, the gap is worse at the screw, indicating it could use to be snugged up a little possibly.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Thanks to all for those great suggestions. I'll let you know which one is successful.

KSitte

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote