Skiing with an Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Where is Red?
Red Mountain Resort is in Rossland, BC.

BTW, Dirk has not been on here in a couple years.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleC View Post
Anyone using their Escape as a mobile ski cabin in the winter? I'm curious to learn hear thoughts...and any tips for appropriate modifications when we order one?

Thanks
My kickoff trip from the factory was a ski trip. Picked up the trailer from Reese April 10, 2012 and drove direct to Whistler, BC(Riverside resort) for a month of spring skiing.

Last year spent the month of April in the Golden, BC Municipal Campground as a base and skied the Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, and Lake Louise.

This year I plan to move things up a bit and start the camping season in Golden BC March 5 for a month.

Both of those campgrounds are great for cold weather camping, 30a power, close by, clean, warm washrooms with heated floors . I dry camp and limit the onboard toilet use to an occasional overnight #1 and a quick splash of the pink stuff .

Old 12-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
Robert, what is your tow vehicle, and how does your driving technique change when you are towing in winter road conditions? Thanks for any info.
Brent.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #14

I tow with an 09 Ford Escape V6 4wd. Both of those campgrounds are low and I store the trailer low for the winter. This year the trailer is wintering in Windermere BC in the Columbia valley south of Golden so a level (no passes) one hour drive for my first spring trip. I limit my "snow covered and slippery" driving to the tow vehicle alone. The Rockies Passes (Kicking Horse & Rogers) are exciting enough in the winter without adding a towed vehicle to the mix ;-)
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21. Tow vehicle: 2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax.
You've got some great, trailer-accessible skiing and camping options near you, Robert. I agree that BC's high mountain passes are challenging enough in winter without having nearly two tons on your hitch. We'll be driving (not towing) from Vancouver Island over Alison Pass, Anarchist Mountain, and Paulson Pass to Rossland to ski in February. The thought of towing a trailer over that route in winter is not appealing.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
You've got some great, trailer-accessible skiing and camping options near you, Robert. I agree that BC's high mountain passes are challenging enough in winter without having nearly two tons on your hitch. We'll be driving (not towing) from Vancouver Island over Alison Pass, Anarchist Mountain, and Paulson Pass to Rossland to ski in February. The thought of towing a trailer over that route in winter is not appealing.
I don't miss those drives. I'm in Canmore/Banff for the past 3 winters.. I've got 12 days of skiing in already this season and easy no pass access to Sunshine Village, Nakiska, and Lake Louise
Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
I tow with an 09 Ford Escape V6 4wd....
How does your Ford Escape do towing your 19'?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Both of those campgrounds are low and I store the trailer low for the winter. This year the trailer is wintering in Windermere BC in the Columbia valley south of Golden so a level (no passes) one hour drive for my first spring trip.
Staying low is a valuable technique. I drove our motorhome through BC several weeks ago, and took the old Trans-Canada (Hwy #1) along the Fraser River from Kamloops to Hope instead of the more direct and faster Coquihalla (Hwy #5) that takes the high route; it snowed up on the Coq and just rained on the Trans-Canada, which is exactly why I made that choice.

Quote:
The Rockies Passes (Kicking Horse & Rogers) are exciting enough in the winter without adding a towed vehicle to the mix ;-)
I drove from Alberta to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago, and the only section through the mountains which was not at least bare in the wheel tracks was that including those passes in the Rockies... where the road was ice and rough hard-packed the entire distance. It slowed me in my van (the trailer tug, but without trailer) down well below the speed limit in parts, and I didn't see a lane marking for tens of kilometres.

Road conditions do vary greatly by location in the mountains. DriveBC provides current conditions, and winter mountain driving calls for preparation, and willingness to change plans.

This doesn't mean that trailers can't be towed on these roads - it is done every day by all sizes of trailers for commercial purposes, or to carry quads and snowmobiles or similar, and there's always someone out there with a U-Haul cargo trailer... most of them make it without problems.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
How does your Ford Escape do towing your 19'?
It does a great job. Trouble free transcontinental towing from BC to PEI and back two years running. Slow on the long hills in the mountain passes but I still get to pass the big fifth wheels on the up bound .

Reasonable fuel economy at 90kph/55mph.

Love the short wheel base, overall length & turning radius.. great when your in tight spaces out in the woods, or traversing big city downtowns.