Skiing with an Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Skiing with an Escape

Anyone using their Escape as a mobile ski cabin in the winter? I'm curious to learn hear thoughts...and any tips for appropriate modifications when we order one?

Thanks

MichelleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Re: Skiing with an Escape

Hi Michelle
What area will you be using your Escape in & how cold does it get?
We made some modifications to ours for use in northern BC such
as interior shut offs for the exterior shower and the fresh water
tank is inside. You can always toss some antifreeze in the
grey water tank to stop it from freezing (Reace's idea)
Other then that thermal windows and extra insulation will help.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #3

We're in Seattle and will ski mostly between Oregon and southern BC...probably the most north we'll go is Sun Peaks. Sounds like Reece is great at adapting the trailers so I'll make sure to discuss with him the proper modifications when we're ready to order.
MichelleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #4

Hi Michelle - I would recommend adjusting the water set-up. I had some challenges with the outside water tank freezing, so with Reace we worked out a plan for a secondary tank inside and put it in the rear of the trailer (under what is now a permanent bed).

Other than that, a bit thicker insulation is all I would recommend. The furnace actually worked well to keep the trailer live-able during -26C.

You'll love the trailer - it tows fabulously in snow (when you get it bring it up to Red in Rossland - you can park it next to mine).

Cheers,
Dirk
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitodirk
(when you get it bring it up to Red in Rossland - you can park it next to mine).
Man, I haven't skied there in 21 years, would sure like to go back some time, while I can still handle the black and steeper stuff.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #6

I have an open door policy - anytime. Anyone coming up has a personal guide.
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #7

I doubt it will happen this year now Dirk, but quite likely the next. Last time I skied at Red, we did a whole tour of South Eastern BC. I know we skied White Water at Nelson too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitodirk View Post
I have an open door policy - anytime. Anyone coming up has a personal guide.
We are heading to Red this February and would love to "ski with a local" for a bit and also visit your Escape. We are considering purchase of a 17b that will be used year round and would love to chat with an owner with similar interests!
Cheers,
Nick Branch
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Where is Red?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Rossland, in the West Kootenay region of BC.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Where is Red?
Red Mountain Resort is in Rossland, BC.

BTW, Dirk has not been on here in a couple years.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleC View Post
Anyone using their Escape as a mobile ski cabin in the winter? I'm curious to learn hear thoughts...and any tips for appropriate modifications when we order one?

Thanks
My kickoff trip from the factory was a ski trip. Picked up the trailer from Reese April 10, 2012 and drove direct to Whistler, BC(Riverside resort) for a month of spring skiing.

Last year spent the month of April in the Golden, BC Municipal Campground as a base and skied the Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, and Lake Louise.

This year I plan to move things up a bit and start the camping season in Golden BC March 5 for a month.

Both of those campgrounds are great for cold weather camping, 30a power, close by, clean, warm washrooms with heated floors . I dry camp and limit the onboard toilet use to an occasional overnight #1 and a quick splash of the pink stuff .
Old 12-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #13

Robert, what is your tow vehicle, and how does your driving technique change when you are towing in winter road conditions? Thanks for any info.
Brent.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

I tow with an 09 Ford Escape V6 4wd. Both of those campgrounds are low and I store the trailer low for the winter. This year the trailer is wintering in Windermere BC in the Columbia valley south of Golden so a level (no passes) one hour drive for my first spring trip. I limit my "snow covered and slippery" driving to the tow vehicle alone. The Rockies Passes (Kicking Horse & Rogers) are exciting enough in the winter without adding a towed vehicle to the mix ;-)
Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #15

You've got some great, trailer-accessible skiing and camping options near you, Robert. I agree that BC's high mountain passes are challenging enough in winter without having nearly two tons on your hitch. We'll be driving (not towing) from Vancouver Island over Alison Pass, Anarchist Mountain, and Paulson Pass to Rossland to ski in February. The thought of towing a trailer over that route in winter is not appealing.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
You've got some great, trailer-accessible skiing and camping options near you, Robert. I agree that BC's high mountain passes are challenging enough in winter without having nearly two tons on your hitch. We'll be driving (not towing) from Vancouver Island over Alison Pass, Anarchist Mountain, and Paulson Pass to Rossland to ski in February. The thought of towing a trailer over that route in winter is not appealing.
I don't miss those drives. I'm in Canmore/Banff for the past 3 winters.. I've got 12 days of skiing in already this season and easy no pass access to Sunshine Village, Nakiska, and Lake Louise
Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak View Post
I tow with an 09 Ford Escape V6 4wd....
How does your Ford Escape do towing your 19'?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Both of those campgrounds are low and I store the trailer low for the winter. This year the trailer is wintering in Windermere BC in the Columbia valley south of Golden so a level (no passes) one hour drive for my first spring trip.
Staying low is a valuable technique. I drove our motorhome through BC several weeks ago, and took the old Trans-Canada (Hwy #1) along the Fraser River from Kamloops to Hope instead of the more direct and faster Coquihalla (Hwy #5) that takes the high route; it snowed up on the Coq and just rained on the Trans-Canada, which is exactly why I made that choice.

Quote:
The Rockies Passes (Kicking Horse & Rogers) are exciting enough in the winter without adding a towed vehicle to the mix ;-)
I drove from Alberta to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago, and the only section through the mountains which was not at least bare in the wheel tracks was that including those passes in the Rockies... where the road was ice and rough hard-packed the entire distance. It slowed me in my van (the trailer tug, but without trailer) down well below the speed limit in parts, and I didn't see a lane marking for tens of kilometres.

Road conditions do vary greatly by location in the mountains. DriveBC provides current conditions, and winter mountain driving calls for preparation, and willingness to change plans.

This doesn't mean that trailers can't be towed on these roads - it is done every day by all sizes of trailers for commercial purposes, or to carry quads and snowmobiles or similar, and there's always someone out there with a U-Haul cargo trailer... most of them make it without problems.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
How does your Ford Escape do towing your 19'?
It does a great job. Trouble free transcontinental towing from BC to PEI and back two years running. Slow on the long hills in the mountain passes but I still get to pass the big fifth wheels on the up bound .

Reasonable fuel economy at 90kph/55mph.

Love the short wheel base, overall length & turning radius.. great when your in tight spaces out in the woods, or traversing big city downtowns.