Sleek (WeBoost) booster on a 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sleek (WeBoost) booster on a 5.0TA

Has anyone installed such on a fifth wheel? If so where did you install the booster and the antenna?
Old 05-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
A few of us have them in a 21, which is same as the 5 from the doorway to the back. I added mine just aft of the fridge, in the overhead cabinet, so I could replace the antenna easily if needed. Haven't had any feedback issues with the cradle in the same compartment.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Charlie's right. Locating the cradle near the antenna hasn't posed a problem with these. The most logical location for the cradle is probably in/adjacent to an overhead cabinet over the dinette, with the antenna roof mounted aft above it.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I just finished drilling an exit hole from my truck cab so I can use mine while underway. Later I might buy a second antenna to mount on the trailer.

It looks like several people have these now. I haven't used mine yet but will on the way to Osoyoss. It'll be interesting to compare notes at some point. I think it'll be an improvement on my previous units but time will tell.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Try it in Manning Park. Came upon a car accident a few years ago and couldn't report it until I got to Princeton.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
I had the antenna mounted just forward of the entry door and keep the cable coiled in the overhead cabinet next to the door. Reace drilled a hole in the forward corner next to the wall and added a rubber grommet. The cradle base is mounted on the lower cabinet counter top. 12 volt power is right there. I just pull the cable down and connect to the sleek cradle when needed. When traveling or not in use, the cradle lives in the drawer and the cable is coiled back in the overhead cabinet. Works for us.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Try it in Manning Park. Came upon a car accident a few years ago and couldn't report it until I got to Princeton.
Will do. Telus coverage map doesn't look good for the first half. I'll be doing a side-by-side comparison between two phones so I should be able to get a good impression of how much good the weboost does.

Ron
Old 05-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Will do. Telus coverage map doesn't look good for the first half. I'll be doing a side-by-side comparison between two phones so I should be able to get a good impression of how much good the weboost does.

Ron
In our experience, the Sleek and antenna did a good job of boosting an existing signal. If there was no signal at all, it didn't create one.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
In our experience, the Sleek and antenna did a good job of boosting an existing signal. If there was no signal at all, it didn't create one.
Hmmm... all any booster can do is boost an existing signal. I assume this means that unless the network signal is strong enough to show some service (although perhaps very low), the booster won't be able to boost it to a usable level. That's a useful guideline - there are places on mountain highways where a typical mobile phone shows no network at all (as far as it can tell), not just poor signal.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
I have a Sleek 4G kit with a window mount for the short antenna. The last place we camped had reception of one bar on the Verizon network without the Sleek and three with the Sleek and window mount. Three bars was enough for email, weather, and news. We didn't try any more than that. When I was checking on this last year I found that Technomadia's The Mobile Internet Handbook - 2014 had some very basic info but also some very useful info on boosters, antenna selection, etc. One other item I was concerned about was the loss of signal strength with couplings which is why I'm trying just using the one coupling to the short antenna. I'll get a larger antenna if this short one doesn't do the job for me in the long run.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-twnbob View Post
I had the antenna mounted just forward of the entry door and keep the cable coiled in the overhead cabinet next to the door. Reace drilled a hole in the forward corner next to the wall and added a rubber grommet. The cradle base is mounted on the lower cabinet counter top. 12 volt power is right there. I just pull the cable down and connect to the sleek cradle when needed. When traveling or not in use, the cradle lives in the drawer and the cable is coiled back in the overhead cabinet. Works for us.
Any chance of getting a picture of the antenna placement from the outside of the trailer?
Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I bought my Sleek earlier on my current trip, just to see if it would help data reception for my hotspot. It does-- it works well. I didn't mount the Sleek in the trailer. I sit it on the dinette table when I'm parked and put the hotspot in the cradle. I have an external antenna and route the cable inside when parked. So it's sort of a proof-of-concept.

Now that I know that it works, I'd like to get one of the models that has an external wifi antenna like the 4G-M or 4G-X. Then I could leave the hotspot in the truck (which is always parked next to the trailer) and still get the signal boost. It would work with my cellphone as well. But I'm put off by the cost of these boosters. Ow.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #13

I installed half a dozen Wilson 3G units similar to the current multiuser boosters with roof mount Yagi, and ceiling mount indoor antennas at work a number of years back, was not impressed with their range. Might be something you want to check on before shelling out the $.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

Was it the wifi range of the boosters that you weren't impressed with? Sounds like it, but wanted to make sure.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #15

Yes, at times you had to stand directly under the antenna to get enough signal for calls. Tba ceiling antenna being 6-10 feet from the amp.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While the dual antenna systems (those using an external antenna feeding an amplifier that feeds an internal antenna) have the advantage that they let you boost multiple devices, I've found that the short distances between the two antennas forced by the size of our fiberglass trailers limits the working distance from the internal antenna. Even though my previous dual antenna system had a more powerful amplifier, I actually get more gain using a Sleek. Of course, I have the disadvantage that I can only amplify one device at a time, and it has to be in the cradle of the Sleek.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Yes, at times you had to stand directly under the antenna to get enough signal for calls. Tba ceiling antenna being 6-10 feet from the amp.
Thanks for understanding what I meant: the repeated cellular signal, not a wifi signal that would come from a hotspot (in my case). I confuse myself sometimes.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #18

OK, tried out my new weboost at home because we live in a valley with poor reception so that should have been a good test for it.

Things did not go well. Plugged it in and the power unit and it made a little snapping sound. The green light that should have come on didn't. Checked the fuse and it was fine.

The quick start instructions refer to the website for detailed guide. Couldn't find anything. Phoned weboost, on Sunday no less , and they said they'd send me a new USB power plug. That's great customer service but I'm leaving for Osoyoss before it'd arrive here so it's being sent to Kelowna where I can pick it up after the meet.

So, the question for those that know these things, would it be possible to use a basic 12volt cigarette lighter USB outlet to power the cradle?

Ron
Old 05-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
OK, tried out my new weboost at home because we live in a valley with poor reception so that should have been a good test for it.

Things did not go well. Plugged it in and the power unit and it made a little snapping sound. The green light that should have come on didn't. Checked the fuse and it was fine.

The quick start instructions refer to the website for detailed guide. Couldn't find anything. Phoned weboost, on Sunday no less , and they said they'd send me a new USB power plug. That's great customer service but I'm leaving for Osoyoss before it'd arrive here so it's being sent to Kelowna where I can pick it up after the meet.

So, the question for those that know these things, would it be possible to use a basic 12volt cigarette lighter USB outlet to power the cradle?

Ron
Should work fine. It takes larger USB not micro.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #20

Quote:

Ron
Yes. My Sleek is plugged into a USB outlet and works fine. It does use the old-style mini-USB plug, though, at the Sleek end.