Slow drain - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Slow drain

I have an odd problem with the new 21 my wife and I just picked up. The kitchen sink drains VERY slowly.

The bathroom sink drains fine. The vent on the roof is unobstructed. I have the gray tank valve open. I ran the issue pass Reace and he said the factory occasionally experiences this problem, and then it kind of magically resolves itself.

I'm wondering if there's an air lock in the P-trap or somewhere else along the line. Any other ideas? Any suggestions for resolving this problem? I bet there's a plumber or some other clever person out there who knows exactly what to do. Thanks.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I might just try a bathroom plunger on it and see what happens. Might be a paper label or something hung up in the line. I believe the vertical vent is actually flexible hose, not rigid piping - maybe a little kink that settles out in time?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why do you have the gray tank valve open? You need gray water to flush the black water and that should not have anything to do with the slow drain. Close that valve. Perhaps there is some sawdust or construction material in the sink? I have a piece of clear sewer pipe that will allow observation during emptying. Try adding some baking soda to drain and pour some vinegar, that should speed up things and watch what comes out when emptying.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why do you have the gray tank valve open? You need gray water to flush the black water and that should not have anything to do with the slow drain. Close that valve.
We aways have the gray tank open. We do a lot of cooking and dish washing, plus showers, don't want to fill up the gray tank. The night before we are going to leave, we close the gray tank so we can flush the line after emptying the black tank.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought that leaving the gray open while hooked up leads to sensor inaccuracy in that they do not routinely get cleaned and air exposure can allow the probes to gunk up.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
On the 19, there is no "P" trap, it's a defacto "S" trap but that shouldn't make a difference to draining, only to water staying in the trap. I don't know if the 21 plumbing under the sink is done the same way. It's unlikely that there's an airlock in the trap. If the vent is plugged then it could create a slow draining situation.

On the 19 it's possible to pull the green and white hose off the black ABS plumbing. If you can remove yours you could establish if the vent is blocked by blowing into it. You could also probe the area inside the hose barb and see if any debris is visible and trickle a small amount of water down the drain to see if it trickles by the open hose barb. Using a plunger first would probably be the thing to do.

If you want to take the green and white vent hose off, use a heat gun or hair drier on it to remove and re-install.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I would have to agree with tractors. Construction debris in the plumbing is an ongoing problem in a new build of any type. That includes water lines and drains. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
One sure fire method to see if the vent is blocked would be to pull the vent cap off the roof, stick a water hose in there and blast anything out. On the 21 the flexible vent hose runs up inside the rear entry door pillar, so probably should make sure the door is closed first.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #9

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Because the gray tank valve is open is it possible that u may have some drain air pressure try to blow back up into the trailer system causing slow water draining. Close the gray valve and see if it flows better.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote