Slow Tire Leak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
J&G

Trailer: Escape 19
Slow Tire Leak

Got my new Escape less than a year ago. Have about 10000 miles on it. On a trip now and have to add about a pound of air each evening on passenger side front tire. Should I put on the spare? Do I need to know anything special about changing a tire on a trailer? I have never done this before. Gloria
J&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&G View Post
Got my new Escape less than a year ago. Have about 10000 miles on it. On a trip now and have to add about a pound of air each evening on passenger side front tire. Should I put on the spare? Do I need to know anything special about changing a tire on a trailer? I have never done this before. Gloria
Do you have aluminum rims ? We have had issues with slow leaks with aluminum rims .Removing the tire and cleaning the rim solves the problem for a while . Also check your valve stem , they often develop slow leaks . Tightening the insert in the stem may solve the problem . On my wife's car I have to fill the tires weekly , they loose about 5 lbs pressure in that time frame. We carry a 12V DC air compressor when traveling , it has come in handy on several occasions.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
One thing I've always put on my tires.....go buy the metal valve stem caps with the neoprene seals in them...they cost a few bucks. The cheap plastic ones they put on at the tire store don't seal well and its been my experience valve stems leak a tiny bit. The neoprene seals sure work.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
On a trip now and have to add about a pound of air each evening on passenger side front tire. Should I put on the spare?
I would only bother with putting on the spare if I wanted to take the leaking tire off for examination or repair... but if I left the leaking tire in place I would certainly check it more often. It's certainly worth some effort to figure out what is going on.

Quote:
Do I need to know anything special about changing a tire on a trailer? I have never done this before.
  • Most trailers - including this one - do not come with a jack or have a well-planned place to put a jack, so a lot more attention to jacking up is required than with a car. Since the Escape 19' has tandem axles, the usual workaround to this is to run the good tire on same side of the trailer up on a ramp, leaving the one you want to change hanging in the air.
  • Unlike a car or pickup truck, the trailer doesn't come with a wrench for the wheel nuts... so you need to get one of those if you don't have one already.
  • The wheel studs and nuts are larger in diameter than those on a typical car - they're sized like a pickup truck. That means that more torque (more force or a longer wrench) is required to remove them and to properly tighten them, compared to a car.
  • When the wheel is re-installed on a modern car or truck, the wheel fits the hub in a way that ensures that the wheel is centred on the hub. With the trailer, there is nothing in the hub and wheel design to do this alignment, so a lot more effort and care is required to get the wheel properly centred and the nuts properly seated. This is why the nuts are supposed to be re-torqued after driving for a while - they probably didn't seat properly when the wheel was first installed.
It might look like a long list, but changing the wheel (tire) on a trailer is a completely manageable task. This might be an opportunity to learn how to do it, rather than at the side of a highway later.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
J&G

Thank you all!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
As Brian said plus;

Running one wheel up on blocks does save jacking the trailer up. A piece of 2 by whatever isn't usually quite thick enough to lift the other wheel quite off the ground. A piece of 3/4" material plus the 2 by material for a total of 2 1/4" is usually enough although it also depends on the whether the surface is a hard or soft one.

Also, if you're going to get familiar with the process buy an inexpensive torque wrench. That's a topic that's been hotly discussed on the forum.

And, of course, when the wheel's still on the ground, loosen the lugs.

It's a good skill to have and knowing how to do it will give you peace of mind even if you have a good car club plan. Sometimes you might not have cell service.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If there is a object causing the leak, towing can only do more harm as the hole will become enlarged. If you can not find anything in the tire, take it to a tire store where they can place it in water and find the leak source.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If I know I am loosing air from a tire I avoid the immediate chance of it getting worse by getting to a tire store or place where I can get it fixed. I am not able to live with " I should have". Maybe it's because I fixed hundreds of flat tires as a young guy who worked in a genuine service station. Slow leaks don't get slower. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If I know I am loosing air from a tire I avoid the immediate chance of it getting worse by getting to a tire store or place where I can get it fixed. I am not able to live with " I should have". Maybe it's because I fixed hundreds of flat tires as a young guy who worked in a genuine service station. Slow leaks don't get slower. YMMV
Iowa Dave
I second everything Dave said! I had a very slow leak that turned out to be drywall screw in the tire, and it suddenly became a flat tire (luckily in the garage) when it wore the hole bigger around that screw.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
J&G

Thanks sgain, everyone. Got the spare on and took the leaking tire to be checked. It had a nail. It is repaired but can I use it as the spare and keep the spare on where it is instead of going theough the whole changing tire process again?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Gloria, as long as you spare is the same size as the other tire, there is no reason not to leave it on and put the repaired one on the spare holder. Just be sure to recheck that the lug nuts are tight after you drive it a bit.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thanks sgain, everyone. Got the spare on and took the leaking tire to be checked. It had a nail. It is repaired but can I use it as the spare and keep the spare on where it is instead of going theough the whole changing tire process again?
Yes and another reason to have all 5 wheels matching.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Yes you can leave the spare on. I am assuming it's the same size as the four originals on the ground. And since
It's As new as it is it might be preferable to run it on a continued basis rather than go back to a tire that's been fixed as a runner. You might want to check tire pressures all
Around just so the spare you are now running is fully inflated and check the one you had fixed in a couple days to make sure it's staying up. YMMV
Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #14

Wow advice from three old guys who have had a lot of flat tires in their 150 combined years of driving. What's a "boot" any way?
Dave
Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #15

Quote:
... What's a "boot" any way?
Dave
How some Canadians say "about"?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Wow advice from three old guys who have had a lot of flat tires in their 150 combined years of driving. What's a "boot" any way?
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... A "boot" is where you keep your tyre. A bonnet is where you keep your motor!!! Its about all that combining. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I think some inThe Marimes might, but we all say a-bowt around here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Yah, similar to Americans saying "ruff" instead of "roof"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Creek and crick.....

Old 04-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Or pronouncing the French word, foyer, as foy-yer instead of foy-yay.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote