Solar Monitor Question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Thanks....

Old 09-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Jim,
Just looked at Interstate charging specs and it looks like they are:
Absorption:14.7 Float; 13.2 Equalize: 15.3
DIP #2,3,4, set to ON-OFF-OFF will yield Absorption: 14.46 Float;13.4 Equalize:15.6
As Scott says, none are perfect, but if I'm reading everything correctly this one seems the closest.

Update: Looks like in this previous post Optimum charging voltages for 6V GC2 batteries
They are saying the absorption rate for the G2 Interstate batteries is 15.3, so it gets even more confusing. The L-16 AGM settings may actually be closer for the G2's.
Exactly. None of the settings will give you the exact voltages Interstate recommends, but 15 for bulk is close. As for dip switch 5, again, I don't know own what the voltage is when selecting autoequalization. Therefore I'd probably go with manual at 15.3 by turning dip switch 5 off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B "MATT"
Some months ago I found a discrepancy in two tech sheets on the Interstate website regarding absorption voltage for our GC2-XHD-UTL batteries. One said 15.3V and one said 14.46. I contacted them, they checked with their engineers who replied, oops, thanks for catching that, it should be 14.46 for the dual 6 setup. Ergo:

Charge current C/10
Bulk charging 14.46V
Absorption 14.46V @ 2-4 hrs.
Float 13.38V
Equalization 15.6V @ 2 hrs.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
When Jon looked at my display in Quartzsite he didn't think the DIPs were set correctly from pickup at ETI for the twin 6v's. I'll report back next week where they had them set when I open it up and what I changed. I think I will most likely set to ON-OFF-OFF for 2,3,4
DIP #5 I'll just flip a coin when I set it.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Art, what is your battery setup?
I have the dual 6 V batteries option.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With the controller installed in storage spaces this can be an issue. I always disliked the openness of the accessory 12v outlets ETI installed, very easy to short out the circuit if some metallic item shift during travel. I asked Charlie @ widget to look into make some sort of plastic backs for these areas but it was not fruitful. I'm going to install plastic electrical boxes around mine and protect the controller with some sort of backing.
One of the first items I took care of , the exposed 12 volt accessory . Made a cover for it . Charley gave me a divider he made up in cabinet that protects the electronics up there for 120 and TV . In my mind instead of redesigning the whole exterior of trailer , putting more thought into these little things and wasted cabinet spaces etc., would of been at the top of my list . My last irritant was that cord . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
It looks like reading the Samlex manual switch 2,3,4 shows ON,OFF,OFF for Flooded battery type and the ON,ON,OFF shows for AGM L-16 battery type.
I think it's good for the charge controller to give a likely default for flooded and AGM batteries, but better to go with what the battery manufacturer recommends. "L-16" is a size, by the way, not a type; I don't know why they would use this description, and the manual doesn't explain it. Otherwise, the manual appears to be quite good and informative.

This is the table from the Samlex SCC-30AB manual, corresponding to the label on the back of the unit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCC-30AB_chargingPrograms1.JPG (52.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SCC-30AB_chargingPrograms2.JPG (36.8 KB, 13 views)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As for dip switch 5, again, I don't know own what the voltage is when selecting autoequalization. Therefore I'd probably go with manual at 15.3 by turning dip switch 5 off.
I've only skimmed through the manual, but it appears that the equalization voltage is determined by the charging program setting (switches 2-3-4), and that only the triggering of the equalization cycle (automatically based on time, or manually when the front-panel button is pushed) is controlled by switch 5.

I think I would still chose manual equalization, to keep it from happening when I don't think it should.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Thanks to Brian B-P for noticing that I still didn't have all the DIP switches set correctly, and to all the research others of you have done to determine the best settings. I just changed to what appears to be a near consensus:
1 2 3 4 5
ON ON OFF OFF ON

My 'coin flip' on 5 came up in favor of "automatic equalization", arguing that with manual, I might have to manually start something that I'm not clear about. Of course, Samlex might have something completely different in mind when they write 'automatic.'

Along the lines of trying to prevent a recurrence, I've cut of piece of 1/8" clear acrylic about 4.75" square, to cover the DIP switch, as shown below. It's hung it from two screws that are slightly loose so the acrylic is not held tightly, but it hopefully will prevent stored items that are bouncing around from changing the DIP switch settings.

It could have been a lot worse. I have stored our Lodge cast iron griddle (good fit on the Weber Q1200) there previously. It would have been more likely to smash the DIP switch to smithereens, than to change a few switch settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1782-c.jpg (212.1 KB, 25 views)
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Good solution, as you can still see the dip switch settings.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk