Solar Monitor Question - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Just pulled my solar controller today and ETI did not set the dip switches when they installed. They were set at: ON OFF OFF ON OFF which I'm assuming is the samlex default. Definitely was not setup for the dual 6v batteries.

I set at: ON ON OFF OFF ON for the dual Interstate 6v. We're in AZ so definitely wanted the auto equalization dip#5.

Anyone with solar and samlex controller needs to pull the controller and get the Dip switches set correctly for your battery or batteries as they are most likely not setup.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just pulled my solar controller today and ETI did not set the dip switches when they installed. They were set at: ON OFF OFF ON OFF which I'm assuming is the samlex default. Definitely was not setup for the dual 6v batteries.

I set at: ON ON OFF OFF ON for the dual Interstate 6v. We're in AZ so definitely wanted the auto equalization dip#5.

Anyone with solar and samlex controller needs to pull the controller and get the Dip switches set correctly for your battery or batteries as they are most likely not setup.
Greg
Ours were set like yours are now when we had the solar installed at ETI. I had previously reported that number one got flipped to off and caused no charging to occur. I reset to your pattern and have not had a problem all summer. Only number one got flipped. I'll install a "no accidental flip of the dip" protective panel in the off season.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Our switches are all down which I guess is all off. So I take it that we need 1, 2 and 5 in the up position. Two 6-volts.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Our switches are all down which I guess is all off. So I take it that we need 1, 2 and 5 in the up position. Two 6-volts.
Wow, good you checked. That is what I did for the Interstate twin 6v. Switch 5 is for auto equalization and I put it on because we're in AZ strong sun all day. Every 28 days it will run an equalization cycle on the batteries for I think close to 4 hours. If your sun isn't reliable for long periods you may want #5 off.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Wow, good you checked. That is what I did for the Interstate twin 6v. Switch 5 is for auto equalization and I put it on because we're in AZ strong sun all day. Every 28 days it will run an equalization cycle on the batteries for I think close to 4 hours. If your sun isn't reliable for long periods you may want #5 off.
Either the monitor works with all switches off or we knocked them off, which is quite possible with the ton of stuff we have under that bench. So guess we will just put one and two on then.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
According to my orientation yesterday, Nigel at Escape told me that they are now installing a different controller that no longer has dip switches, it is fully automatic. Will verify that tomorrow....
Old 09-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
According to my orientation yesterday, Nigel at Escape told me that they are now installing a different controller that no longer has dip switches, it is fully automatic. Will verify that tomorrow....
I think I'd prefer being able to manually set what I wanted, unless of course this magic controller can auto-detect battery types, wiring, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #38

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Quote:
Unless things have changed since last week when I talked with them about installing my own controller (which they don't), they have switched back to the GoPower controller & panels. I prefer the Blue Skies Sun Power 30 controller I installed in my 17 because it has a battery temperature sensor, and can be set for just about any type of batteries with adjustable voltages & times settings without switches on the back - programing is done using the front display.

With the Blue Skies controller I generally ended up with 25 - 30 more amp hours with fully charged batteries than I did with the GoPower.

While I'll probably replace the GoPower controller with a new Blue Sky in my on order 21, the hole in the paneling for the GoPower controller is larger than the Blue Skies, so I'll need an adapter plate...
Old 09-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Unless things have changed since last week when I talked with them about installing my own controller (which they don't), they have switched back to the GoPower controller & panels.
The Samlex controller discussed in this thread is the SCC-30AB
I think that the GoPower unit is their GP-PWM-30. Judging from the manuals available, controllers with this same model name have changed over the years (the previous one is the "2013 model"); the current "Maximum" version has two more front-panel buttons than the predecessor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I prefer the Blue Skies Sun Power 30 controller I installed in my 17 because it has a battery temperature sensor, and can be set for just about any type of batteries with adjustable voltages & times settings without switches on the back - programing is done using the front display.
Both current and previous versions of the GP-PWM-30 are programmed with front-panel buttons, too... but without that much flexibility.

Quote:
According to my orientation yesterday, Nigel at Escape told me that they are now installing a different controller that no longer has dip switches, it is fully automatic.
They may be installing something else, but the current GP-PWM-30 requires the user to choose battery type ("Sealed/Gel", "AGM" or "Flooded"); it does not have further user-configurable settings, other than choosing equalization. The table of profiles (attached below) says to pick the one that suits your battery, regardless of actual battery construction, but there's not much difference. I don't see anything automatic about the charging profile choice.

As Jim said... no DIP switches with the GoPower controller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GP-PWM-30_profiles.JPG (54.9 KB, 12 views)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Here is my picture, it does say "Go Power" on the panel in the picture....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0671.jpg (280.9 KB, 34 views)