Solar panel connection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B
Solar panel connection

Hi Pros,
I am planning to buy a potable solar panel but I am not quite sure which way would be the best to connect it to battery system. I have not pre-install port. Wondering if I can plug into wall charging socket directly, of course after controller? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Not recommended to plug into the Charger port. Install a Zamp connector and charge controller and connect it to battery via a fuse. Do it right the first time.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You could also just clamp it to the battery posts.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

You have a 17 with the battery on the rear bumper so alligator clips on the battery terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda.jpg  
Old 08-10-2019, 11:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
Not recommended to plug into the Charger port. Install a Zamp connector and charge controller and connect it to battery via a fuse. Do it right the first time.
Thank you, my problem is I didn't install a Zamp port.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You have a 17 with the battery on the rear bumper so alligator clips on the battery terminals.
Thank you, that's a good idea though a little inconvenient. Another question is the batteries are 2 6V batteries on each end of the bumper, it seems hard to clamp the12V port end on different battery.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
thank you
Old 08-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
Thank you, that's a good idea though a little inconvenient. Another question is the batteries are 2 6V batteries on each end of the bumper, it seems hard to clamp the12V port end on different battery.
You could wire in an adapter like a Zamp to the batteries finding a place to mount the plug, and then when you are using the panel just plug into it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Another easy way to connect a panel is to use a male 7 pin connector (like the one on your truck or tow vehicle) wired to the panel's controller, and plug it into the trailer's 7 pin connector. Not as efficient as a ZAMP connector because you have a longer wire run, but I did it for 6 months before installing a ZAMP, and it worked.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another easy way to connect a panel is to use a male 7 pin connector (like the one on your truck or tow vehicle) wired to the panel's controller, and plug it into the trailer's 7 pin connector. Not as efficient as a ZAMP connector because you have a longer wire run, but I did it for 6 months before installing a ZAMP, and it worked.
Is saying Zamp to describe a SAE connector become the same as saying "Coke" when you mean a soft drink?

An actual Zamp port is a non standard connection that violates international safety standards unless the wiring polarity is reversed.

I guess I'm being irritating in constantly calling this out but we should be recommending using SAE plugs - not Zamp.
Attached Thumbnails
sae plug.jpg  
Old 08-11-2019, 10:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Is saying Zamp to describe a SAE connector become the same as saying "Coke" when you mean a soft drink?

An actual Zamp port is a non standard connection that violates international safety standards unless the wiring polarity is reversed.

I guess I'm being irritating in constantly calling this out but we should be recommending using SAE plugs - not Zamp.
Yea, I know I should call it an SAE connector, but when I do many have no idea what I'm describing. ZAMP has become the generic name as far as the solar panel industry.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Yea, I know I should call it an SAE connector, but when I do many have no idea what I'm describing. ZAMP has become the generic name as far as the solar panel industry.
Thanks Jon.

I bought a Zamp connector when I installed my solar system as that was all anyone referred to. Then I found out that I had to connect the red to black / black to red to be able to connect my non Zamp solar panel.

I thought to myself - what the heck? Why an I having to do this and maybe getting the polarity wrong when I should have just bought a SAE connector?

How could we reference the correct connector and still use the generic term Zamp to describe it? Maybe SAE connector(Zamp) or Zamp(SAE connector)? Those don't sound right either but I'm out of ideas.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I actually did use a Zamp brand connector.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

With a steady amount of new folks it's a message worth repeating. When I encountered that situation previously I wasn't impressed.

Unfortunately the term "Zamp port" has become almost a catch phrase.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
I bought a 3 foot, double ended, 10 AWG SAE cord to create a pigtail on my battery. Worked great. By having two SAE connectors, I was able to leave the red wire on the female end of the plug where it attaches to a battery. This greatly reduces or eliminates the chance of the pigtail shorting out. And is common practice for electrical pros when installing battery pigtails.

Watch the gauge of wire used on these connectors. Many are light weight (16AWG).

Easy enough to find SAE cables on Amazon.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if I'm installing my own connectors, I prefer to use Anderson PowerPole connectors.. the PP45 is for AWG 10 wire, the PP30 for 12-14 AWG, and the PP15 for 16-18.... Powerpoles can not be plugged in wrong (although you could assemble them the wrong way). Also, PP15, PP30, PP45 can be plugged into each other.

this is a 12 gauge PP 'pigtail' I made for a Casita, which just has a single group 27 thats installed behind an outside access door. The PP connector can bne slipped out through the ventilation slots on this access door.

a couple more PP patches I made...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #17

Thank you so much for your responses, I always learn a lot from you guys.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Nicely done, John!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Okay.... so I just had a 190 Watt roof panel with the Go Power controller installed at ETI along with a Zamp connector through the outside wall for my 100 Watt portable panel.

Irregardless of the plug receptacle polarity, is it safe to say that the red wire from the controller through the wall via the plug receptacle to the positive wire of the portable panel is the correct connection?

Also, would it be better to disregard the Zamp connector and continue to use the controller for my portable connected directly to the battery?? It seems that when the roof panel is in partial shade it affects the portable's output.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
You may have a way to see how the wires are connected to verify polarity, otherwise you will need a voltmeter.

If you use the Escape provided external connector the portable panel is connected in parallel to the roof one, shade on one should not have an effect on the other, that’s the advantage of connecting panels in parallel. There could be another issue however, unless they both have the same voltage you are not getting the max power from your panels, but if the voltage is close your power losses may be small enough to ignore. One way to find out is to compare power with both panels on the Go-power controller vs. each on its own. Note that to see the maximum power the panels can produce (depending on current sun exposure) you need to load your battery with around 300 watt, (unless the battery is drained) otherwise the controllers will just provide low trickle charge.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote