solar question - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I read about it on the CasitaForum, in this thread 160 Watt Folding Solar Panel

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
oops - was editing my post that Donna referenced and deleted it. Anyway - solarblvd has systems very similar to Dan's at a much lower cost - but I cannot vouch for quality as I do not have one. Also, a company that claims to manufacture their own version now has a free shipping and 15% off sale. Here are the links: 100W folding 12V solar panel,portable solar panel |Eco-worthy

Solarblvd

But keep in mind that Dan can vouch for the quality of his and I have no experience with these. I like that Dan's apparently folds up with the panels protected while these both have the panels exposed when folded.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Technology is always improving. So far, 90 watts has been adequate. But if we were just now in the market we would entertain more power if the panels were light enough to lift, small enough to store, and the price worked out.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
Technology is always improving. So far, 90 watts has been adequate. But if we were just now in the market we would entertain more power if the panels were light enough to lift, small enough to store, and the price worked out.
Sounds like the 90W have been doing a great job for you - I'm looking anywhere in the 80-100w range.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-25-2014, 12:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Sounds like the 90W have been doing a great job for you - I'm looking anywhere in the 80-100w range.
We are satisfied with them.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Eric
I like both options you listed for portable solar panels. It is so hard to tell from the photo but the ones from solarblvd looked a bit more beefy, I think it was the framework. I did not compare weight.

It appears that both of them fold in such a manner that the panel is to the outside. It seems that would make the portable panel more vulnerable to damage. Some units I have seen come with a cloth/vinyl bag, that would help with scratches. Have you ever seen them with the panel folded to the inside?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Eric
I like both options you listed for portable solar panels. It is so hard to tell from the photo but the ones from solarblvd looked a bit more beefy, I think it was the framework. I did not compare weight.

It appears that both of them fold in such a manner that the panel is to the outside. It seems that would make the portable panel more vulnerable to damage. Some units I have seen come with a cloth/vinyl bag, that would help with scratches. Have you ever seen them with the panel folded to the inside?
Paul when I first looked at Dan's I thought it folded with the panels inside, but upon looking closer I guess it packs into a protective case. So, no, I have not yet seen any that fold with the panels inside. I agree about the solarblvd design looking better - they appear to have a more protective frame.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #38

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
I don't know which surface of the panel is more vulnerable to damage. Sunny side is tempered glass, and cell side is some coating applied over the cells. It probably is not an issue which way they fold. I had a Sunbrella fabric case sewn up to store our panels. The packing foam sheets from the original panel box were re-purposed as stuffin' in the case. Our panels have kickstands and are not hinged, so can go into the case either way. So far we have placed them face to face. When traveling we place them on the side dinette cushions laying flat bungeed to the window frame to slow migration. They have stayed put so far. Our panels were manufactured by Renogy Solar. They also offer the "plug and play" folding portable set-ups.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #39

The panels fold sun side out and pack into a padded hard suitcase.

The frames are not weak.

Haven't seen the ones you are referring to.

If they have to be lifted and put in a suitcase and packed, the weight is something to consider.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
This YouTube video was interesting, especially for those who will be using solar:

My main question is ... how do they get their cat to stick around without a leash.

CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote