solar question - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #81

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Our friend's solar panels on his boat up in Northern CA have withstood rain, snow, hail and 110º summer temps for over six years now. The only damage was to one of the rigid plastic frames he used -- it melted in the heat.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #82

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Reace advised me to have a #10 ground wire installed in the tow wiring when I was considering a 3-way fridge. Did that. Cost an extra $25 because the installer normally uses a smaller ground.
Then I opted for the 5 cu. ft. two-way fridge. I don't run it on propane while driving and it holds the cold for hours.
You probably have too small a ground, assuming that you have the larger alternator that comes with Toyota tow prep package.
That is true. Both positive and negative conductors contribute to the loss. 10 ga. would be minimum to use if you have a high current appliance to run.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
That is true. Both positive and negative conductors contribute to the loss. 10 ga. would be minimum to use if you have a high current appliance to run.
Russ
Guess I'll have to check that out.On my Toyota the wiring was all wired in from the factory.What gauge wire does Escape run up to the plug for the vehicle.Would have to change that too I suppose.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Reace advised me to have a #10 ground wire installed in the tow wiring when I was considering a 3-way fridge. Did that. Cost an extra $25 because the installer normally uses a smaller ground.
Then I opted for the 5 cu. ft. two-way fridge. I don't run it on propane while driving and it holds the cold for hours.
You probably have too small a ground, assuming that you have the larger alternator that comes with Toyota tow prep package.
Who installed the #10 ground wire for you? We just had our Tundra serviced to be sure that everything was okay and, after that experience, I'm not sure I want to take it back to the dealer.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #85

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The dealer brought in an after-market installer who installed the class III Hidden Hitch, brake controller and wiring for $650 and did it in the dealer's shop.
Toyota "factory" class II hitch without the brake controller install would have cost more than $900.
Cost me an extra $25 for him to buy the #10 wire since it wasn't standard for trailer wiring.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #86

Hmmm, we're having the brake controller installed by Trademasters while we're at our orientation. Perhaps we can ask them about the wiring. Thanks!
Old 03-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #87

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Also you will need to tell the installer whether you want the charge wire connected only when the tug is running or if you want manual switching. The charge wire also should be fused to protect the wire. I installed a relay to turn on the charge wire only with the tug running. For fusing you can use breakers that can be reset or removable fuses. If you choose to use larger than 10 gauge wire you may have to trim the end to fit the 7 pin plug terminal, but it is still of benefit as the losses happen over the whole length of wire. Auto sound people may be another source for running your wire. Or an off road shop where they routinely install high power lighting and winch equipment.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #88

Great information. I'm putting all this into a Word document and taking it with us. If they can't accommodate us in the time we're there, we can have it taken care of when we get home. Thanks to all!
Jan
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #89

Trailer: Escape
Deka Wire - Jacketed 7-Wire - per Foot Deka Accessories and Parts DW04914-1 Typical 7 wire RV cable. The 10 guage white wire is ground.
The battery supply and ground wires supplied to 7 pole RV connector on our 2012 Tundra with tow package are both 10 guage.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #90

Just found another thread on refrigerators/towing and wiring (http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ving-3129.html). We don't even have our trailer yet, but after reading all these posts, my electrical and plumbing knowledge has skyrocketed! I even know more about our tow vehicle now that I ever thought I would.
Jan