solar question - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks Brian, ...
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The older 5 cu ft refrigerator that was an option on my 2011 17B draws 1.5 amps @ 120v AC. I would have a difficult time keeping the batteries charged running it on the inverter unless I only did it while driving. Even then, it would leave nothing to recharge the batteries...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #63

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
So Jon (and others), I'm gathering that most everyone runs the propane for the refrigerator while moving from place to place? We used to do this with our camper; however, since this is our first trailer ....
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #64

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Jan,

I run the reefer on 12v when driving. It's a habit I got into from the pop-up days. While admittedly probably not a huge risk, you are required to have all propane devices off at gas stations. I've never been challenged, however!
Bob
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #65

Thanks Bob. In reading through some of the posts, it seems like some run with the propane and some with the 12v so was curious as to what was best for keeping things cold. (Only 18 days before we leave for Chilliwack ... )
Jan
Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't have a 12v choice, so I run on propane while driving.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
About the longest we've ever gone on 12v has been 5-6 hours, with most of that being driving time. I do have a beefier battery and heavier duty alternator in the truck, however, so I feel I'm OK when driving. For any kind of a long stop I'll switch to propane, but that's battery drain considerations. Frankly, I personally haven't noticed any significant temperature difference between propane, 12v, or 110v. I think it's a function of the ambient temperature, although others may have different experiences.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #68

Good point about ambient temps. And Jon, I know that you've been all over in your travels so it's good to know the propane works well.
Jan
Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #69

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I run my fridge on 120V for at least a couple of days prior to leaving. I freeze a chicken ( cut in half ), steaks, hamburger etc. at home and load up the RV freezer to assist in keeping the fridge cold. Fridge is loaded up the day before leaving.
I shut the fridge down for travel. No propane and no 12V ( don't have it on my 5 cu. ft. ).
Fridge stays cold if it's not opened. I bought ice cream in Cannon Beach, Ore. and at home in Vancouver, five hours later, it was soft enough to scoop easily.
Of course here in the rain forest, we don't get the heat like SW US.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We have always run propane when traveling and never had a problem although when on ferries you have to turn off all propane (we then do what Glenn does... nothing just shut it down). We also fire the fridge on 120V 2 days before leaving and fill the fridge up. Always like to keep it full, I call it thermal mass other call it beer.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Like Baglo and Doug we get it cold for a couple of days before leaving, We always try to keep the freezer full of frozen stuff - usually blue ice type things after we have been out for a while. It seems that keeping the freezer full of frozen stuff helps mitigate the swings in temperature as the outside weather changes. We always drive with the LP on and have never had any problems with it blowing out.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #72

That's good to know Eric. When we had our camper, I do remember a few times we would arrive at the campground only to find out that the pilot light had blown out. Luckily, the refrigerator was so small, it held in the cold pretty well.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #73

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
So Jon (and others), I'm gathering that most everyone runs the propane for the refrigerator while moving from place to place? We used to do this with our camper; however, since this is our first trailer ....
That has proven to be a controversial question in forums like this.

I normally run the refrigerator in our Boler (like an Escape 17') on DC power, but have run it on propane to avoid shutting off and relighting, and to keep it cooling during stops without that relighting. Since Escapes now have modern refrigerators which don't need manual lighting (right?), these concerns don't apply, and I would just run on DC power while towing with a new trailer.
I always run the refrigerator on propane when not on shore power in our motorhome, but that this a two-way (AC power and propane) unit only - larger absorption refrigerators generally do not offer a DC power power option; we are in a similar situation to Jon. This is not a factor for Escapes (no refrigerators that large), so again I would use DC power.

Cooling performance is not the determining factor for us in either case, but it is common for RV refrigerator owners to report that the propane burner is the strongest heat source and thus most effective power source for cooling.

I see no problem with running the refrigerator on propane while in transit; however, it believe that it must be done properly. To me, that means:
  • propane must be shut off at the tank in some circumstances (some tunnels, generally on ferries), so it cannot be used at those times
  • fuel-burning appliances must be shut off at gas stations since they are a potential ignition source for gasoline fumes (I just hit the button on the refrigerator and water heater before entering stations in our motorhome - presumably you are already doing this but it would take a minute more to get out and do it with a trailer)
  • airflow can blow out the flame on some appliances; this should be checked to avoid continual relighting attempts by the appliance if is not a pilot light model
  • some (but not all) appliance manuals specifically prohibit their use on propane while driving - this should be checked for, understood, and recognized
I suggest being prepared for some people to tell you that it is recklessly hazardous to operate any propane appliance while driving, or that the refrigerator simply won't work while moving. I think you need to make you own decision, with information and consideration.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #74

Brian

Great insight, as usual. Thanks for your very helpful comments and thoughts.

Jan
Old 03-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 15A
When I first got my trailer I was driving with the fridge on battery power,and what I found was it was draining my battery more than I was getting charge from the vehicle.After talking to Reece about it ,I have been running with the fridge on propane and have had no problems with that.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #76

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
When I first got my trailer I was driving with the fridge on battery power,and what I found was it was draining my battery more than I was getting charge from the vehicle.After talking to Reece about it ,I have been running with the fridge on propane and have had no problems with that.
Woodie,
Automotive charging systems typically can throw out a lot of current which should be able to keep up with the reefer's draw. Maybe it is a voltage issue. You could do a voltage check at the trailer battery while the fridge is on with the tow vehicle running. For comparison, you could also check the voltage at the tow vehicle battery. The difference would be the voltage lost to wire and connector resistance. Some of these trailers have the battery at the rear of the trailer which adds to the problem. It may just need bigger gauge wire to preserve voltage. Just a guess.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace advised me to have a #10 ground wire installed in the tow wiring when I was considering a 3-way fridge. Did that. Cost an extra $25 because the installer normally uses a smaller ground.
Then I opted for the 5 cu. ft. two-way fridge. I don't run it on propane while driving and it holds the cold for hours.
You probably have too small a ground, assuming that you have the larger alternator that comes with Toyota tow prep package.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #78

Trailer: Escape 21
This may be slightly off topic, but it is a solar related question. For those of you that have had the factory installed solar, how have you found the durability of the exterior panel? Sometimes those hard rain or hail storms can come up quickly in the mountains, so I just wanted to check to see how well the panels have held up for folks.

Thanks much!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #79

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Most solar panels are hail and snow resistant by nature. I'd have to read my paperwork in re: warranties. I have not heard of any form members having any problems with breakage of the factory panels.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #80

Trailer: Escape 21
I hadn't read anything to suggest they don't hold up well either--which is a great thing--and I was hoping I hadn't missed anything! We've added the solar to the build list, and when I asked about durability, the suggestion was to post the question to the forum as Escape has not heard of any related issues.
tash is offline   Reply With Quote