Source for Megahitch or Proven Industries lock? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Source for Megahitch or Proven Industries lock?

Is anyone aware of an online source for either the Megahitch lock or the Proven Industries 2178 hitch lock that will ship to Canada?

Thanks.

Megahitch

Proven Industries
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I ordered my Proven Industries lock from the manufacturer's website. I would expect they will ship anywhere...

Proven Industries - Home

BTW you need model 2516 for the Atwood coupler
Old 04-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads-up on the correct model number. I will contact Proven Industries and see if they will ship directly to Canada.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
I ordered my Proven Industries lock from the manufacturer's website. I would expect they will ship anywhere...
Don't count on that. Many U.S. retailers outright refuse to ship out of the country, and others will send product, but use couriers that charge ridiculous fees to cross the border.

I don't see any ordering ability on that website, just a contact form and list of distributors (only for the U.S.).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGman View Post
BTW you need model 2516 for the Atwood coupler
I think you mean 2516-A, as discussed in http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...-one-7291.html
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Proven Industries confirmed that 2516-A was the correct model and I was able to order from them directly. USPS was offered as a shipping option so hopefully I will avoid the brokerage charges you usually get with UPS and FedEx.

2516-A
Old 04-18-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemando View Post
Proven Industries confirmed that 2516-A was the correct model and I was able to order from them directly. USPS was offered as a shipping option so hopefully I will avoid the brokerage charges you usually get with UPS and FedEx.

2516-A
We have looking at 2516A too , when you get it , can you post a picture and comment on how you like it . Thankyou . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have looking at 2516A too , when you get it , can you post a picture and comment on how you like it . Thankyou . Pat
Sure, no problem.

I also own the Brahma Wheel Lock which I really like. Two expensive locks is probably overkill but more security can't hurt. Insurance would cover theft of the trailer but it would be a one year wait period to order a new Escape and possibly an entire season lost.

I leave the wheel lock at home when we are out camping. It will be nice to be able to install the Proven Industries once setup at the campsite.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure, no problem.

I also own the Brahma Wheel Lock which I really like. Two expensive locks is probably overkill but more security can't hurt. Insurance would cover theft of the trailer but it would be a one year wait period to order a new Escape and possibly an entire season lost.

I leave the wheel lock at home when we are out camping. It will be nice to be able to install the Proven Industries once setup at the campsite.
will check out that wheel lock too . Saw a Oliver recently and they installed rings in concrete and put a heavy welded chain front and back I think it was to the axle . Pat
Old 04-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:

2516-A
once you get your 2516-A please post your impressions of it here.

thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

Below are links to a few photos of the lock. Shipping was quick but at a cost of about $53 USD. There was also a slightly cheaper UPS option at $35 USD but I was worried about larger brokerage fees. As it turns out even with USPS I got hit with $24 in taxes and customs fees.

Some of the Proven Industries locks are also supposed to be able to fit the safety chains but there wasn't enough room in the 2516-A version.

I have not had a chance to use the lock much so maybe after a couple camping trips I will post any more comments if I have them.

The lock fits well and seems very secure. It seems like its the most secure hitch lock on the market but at a really high cost. By the time you add up the cost of the lock, shipping, conversion to CAD and the customs fees its a lot of money for a lock.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4
Old 05-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Below are links to a few photos of the lock. Shipping was quick but at a cost of about $53 USD. There was also a slightly cheaper UPS option at $35 USD but I was worried about larger brokerage fees. As it turns out even with USPS I got hit with $24 in taxes and customs fees.

Some of the Proven Industries locks are also supposed to be able to fit the safety chains but there wasn't enough room in the 2516-A version.

I have not had a chance to use the lock much so maybe after a couple camping trips I will post any more comments if I have them.

The lock fits well and seems very secure. It seems like its the most secure hitch lock on the market but at a really high cost. By the time you add up the cost of the lock, shipping, conversion to CAD and the customs fees its a lot of money for a lock.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4
thanks for posting the pics and the info

too bad the chains don't fit inside the lock.... but i suppose any determined thief might have chains on hand.

if i get this i'll also use a sturdy wheel clamp lock, so the two would work together to really discourage a thief

a pal of mine had a Aliner stolen, and was heartbroken. I dont think there were substantial hitch + wheel lock in place.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19'
Are you sure you have the 2516A on your Escape 19? Or am I misreading it? I just was at their web site and see it's a 2 5/16 ball?

Model 2516-A (Fit's 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Are you sure you have the 2516A on your Escape 19? Or am I misreading it? I just was at their web site and see it's a 2 5/16 ball?

Model 2516-A (Fit's 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers)
Products | best trailer lock online

Here is the website, indicating the 2516-A is for both 2" and 2 5/16".

I had emailed them a photo of the coupler and told them it took a 2" ball. They confirmed the 2516-A was the correct model.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #15

Model 2516-A (Fit's 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers) | Proven Industries - Best Trailer Locks

And below the "fine print" it says it only fits 2 5/16 ... guess we can find anything on the web !

Looks like a good setup, should discourage the 'average' thief.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
What's to prevent a determined thief from hooking onto the trailer with the safety chains or supply their own chains and drive off? Our strategy is to disable the wheels with a product like this.
Rittenhouse | Heavy Duty Wheel Lock - Boot Wheel Lock. Be aware that we had to have this product modified to position the steel plate properly so one or two lug nuts could not be removed, otherwise a thief just takes the tire and the boot off, replaces the tire with his own, and drives off.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
What's to prevent a determined thief from hooking onto the trailer with the safety chains or supply their own chains and drive off?
I'd call this one a 'deterrent' to the 'average' thief?! And it will keep the grease off your pant leg too!!
Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #18

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I'm not worried about the theft at home, but at a campground. I've seen too many trailers stolen (small utility) by thieves hooking up the safety chains. I wonder about somebody trying to steal a 3000# 21 foot trailer by the chains. How likely is that? the boot is cheaper than the hitch lock.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #19

Oh, I see now. Went to the web site and see (as you said) the boot is actually cheaper then the big nose. Our trailer is under a carport so the first thing people see is the hitch so I was thinking the Proven looks tough.

I learned the 'appearance' of protection can be enough for the 'average' thief and they will move on to an easier target.

So IF they don't see the boot I wonder what could be put on the hitch that was less expensive but would be discouraging too? Or an >> >> arrow "Boot back there"
Old 05-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Oh, I see now. Went to the web site and see (as you said) the boot is actually cheaper then the big nose. Our trailer is under a carport so the first thing people see is the hitch so I was thinking the Proven looks tough.

I learned the 'appearance' of protection can be enough for the 'average' thief and they will move on to an easier target.

So IF they don't see the boot I wonder what could be put on the hitch that was less expensive but would be discouraging too? Or an >> >> arrow "Boot back there"
Wondering about the boot . Will it work with the aluminum wheels , there is a stainless center that sticks out farther then the white steel wheels . Pat