Spare Parts - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Spare Parts

Not to long ago there was a thread about what tools people carry. The recent threads about a furnace going on the blink, a bad regulator, and water pump problems got me to wondering what people carry for spare parts in case of a breakdown. I always carry some spare fuses, and some other generic repair stuff like duck tape, zip ties, and some wire. I just ordered a replacement strainer for the water pump, and a sail switch for the furnace. Do you think there is anything else that I should be carrying? What do you carry for spares?
Old 12-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A six pack of beer, after drinking it I forget about any problems....
Old 12-20-2015, 09:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Not to long ago there was a thread about what tools people carry. The recent threads about a furnace going on the blink, a bad regulator, and water pump problems got me to wondering what people carry for spare parts in case of a breakdown. I always carry some spare fuses, and some other generic repair stuff like duck tape, zip ties, and some wire. I just ordered a replacement strainer for the water pump, and a sail switch for the furnace. Do you think there is anything else that I should be carrying? What do you carry for spares?
Hi: LeonW... I find there's usually a Camping Whirl near the Interstate's we travel, with a good selection of standard parts.
When the fridge handle spring broke on our 5.0 there were two stores in Myrtle Beach, one of which had two 5 cu. ft. Dometic fridge handles...on a Sunday of a long holiday weekend. Amazing!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I carry a spare cover for the water fill, knobs/nut for the awning arms, 30A twist lock to 20A adapter, and in an overly paranoid moment, a sail switch.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Never know what spares you are going to need on a trip. My strategy is to carry all the spares I could ever possibly need in the form of a magnetic strip backed card that I carry on my person in my wallet. Don't ever worry about it as there is almost always somewhere within a few hours drive where I can find replacements.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Carrying the spare parts and tools would also require me to know what I was doing for them to serve any purpose.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I view this in the realm of Murphy's law. By having the water pump, sail switch, 30 amp fuse, and propane regulator I probably won't need them. The above items totaled less than $200. Of all of them the sail switch is the only one that could be considered a specialty item as they are specific to the furnace model.
Rossue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Never know what spares you are going to need on a trip. My strategy is to carry all the spares I could ever possibly need in the form of a magnetic strip backed card that I carry on my person in my wallet. Don't ever worry about it as there is almost always somewhere within a few hours drive where I can find replacements.
While I do carry spare items, I totally agree with this approach. You cannot really plan for every contingency.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I carry fuses, a spare tire, and no other spare parts. If something happens, I will purchase the parts.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you have the Atwood 8012-II furnace, an extra sail switch is a good spare to have, as RV shops don't stock it. One shop told me that the 8012-II accounted for one percent of the repairs they did. Not that I've bought a spare yet for myself, of course..
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
A credit card doesn’t help if there isn’t anyplace close by to use it. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I am going to add a sail switch, water pump and regulator to the toilet flush valve in my spare parts bin. It’s a drag being some place like Tombstone Provincial Park and being hours and hours away from a place that “may” have the part. Heck, I live in Alaska’s biggest city and half the time I have to order parts at the RV place here in town. Happy Holidays, Scott

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Fat bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
A credit card doesn’t help if there isn’t anyplace close by to use it.
Gotta agree and also my rational for carrying a reasonable number of tools is that it's sometimes possible to jury rig a repair and be able to carry on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Scott,
Amazon should be able to drop those parts right on top of you with their drone service soon.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Scott,
Amazon should be able to drop those parts right on top of you with their drone service soon.

Funny that you said that. We were at very nice, kind of secret campground outside of Skagway this summer enjoying a nice bottle of wine before dinner when a drone came flying through the campsite. (Cruise ship passengers shooting video).

Scott, Lori and a Schnauzer named Fritz
Fat Bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:10 AM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I understand the idea of getting what you need, when you need it. Still, it would make sense to carry spares for things that have a substantial probability of failing, and would ruin the trip if you had to do without them for a day or would require traveling for an unreasonable distance to replace. For instance, camping in freezing conditions while depending on propane for heat might be a reason to carry a spare regulator (which would probably not be worth carrying for summer camping).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
We were at very nice, kind of secret campground outside of Skagway this summer enjoying a nice bottle of wine before dinner when a drone came flying through the campsite. (Cruise ship passengers shooting video).
I'm thinking that a really strong water gun will be a good tool to have when this sort of incident becomes more common. Not dangerous, but maybe effective.

Back to spare parts...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Gotta agree and also my rational for carrying a reasonable number of tools is that it's sometimes possible to jury rig a repair and be able to carry on.

Ron
And, failing that, we can pretend we are camping.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:19 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm thinking that a really strong water gun will be a good tool to have when this sort of incident becomes more common. Not dangerous, but maybe effective.

Back to spare parts...
One cruised around in the dark over our group in Moab a couple of years ago and for some strange reason I had a sudden urge to take up skeet shooting.

Yup, back to spare parts.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
One cruised around in the dark over our group in Moab a couple of years ago and for some strange reason I had a sudden urge to take up skeet shooting.

Yup, back to spare parts.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... Take heart, One has been stuck in our "Kite eating tree" all summer. Finally the owners moved from the neighbourhood when a strong wind brought it crashing down to earth. All the spare parts couldn't put Humpty together again... Justice prevails!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Ron
Yes, but having your wife drive a separate panel van, filled with your shop tools, is going a little overboard.
(Oh, and kudos for using "jury-rig". So many times I hear 'jerry-rig", which is not a term, though "jerry-built" is )

So, I am not the only one who finds those drones annoying in peaceful places. No doubt the owner is having a blast, heck I probably would be. I think being airborne, and not attached to a human, leaves it fair game for target practice.

Back to spare parts. I guess being the kind of guy that prefers not to worry about things is part of the reason for not carrying spare parts. I guess it could be one of those trip packing list items that gets thrown in should your destination be very remote, or any other conditions that would warrant it.

One could go crazy with packing all the things you might need. What if your converter/inverter/charge controller/etc fail, and you were depending on them like many do?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote