Squeaky Andersen hitch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
At least if it squeaks, you know it's still there! Kinda like your body when it aches....

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
...we have now towed our Escape 9300 miles with the Andersen, and I'm beginning to see a wear spot develop just aft of the flat spot on top of the ball...right at the aft edge of the flat spot. I'm getting the impression that this may be the only contact point while we're towing, meaning this is probably wearing a similar spot into the hitch rather than distributing the wear.
Probably. An Andersen No-Sway set to transfer any significant amount of load has hundreds of pounds (in some cases perhaps 2,000 lb) of tension on the chains, and thus the same amount pushing the coupler forward against the back of the ball. Although a coupler compliant with the usual standards (VESA-5 and SAE J684) can withstand a force equal to the entire weight of the trailer in this direction without breaking, high force is not normally applied in this direction continually while towing; most couplers are not shaped for this.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Might have to trade the Escape in on an Andersen trailer. :

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #14

Andersen Manufacturing has offered a broad range of towing-related equipment, usually at least bit out of the mainstream. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the next one were a coupler optimized to go with their WD system.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Sally M said her hitch sounded like a couple of freight cars. But I think John was gouing to get a. Bit of info from Andersen. I thought one of the advantages was no need for grease on the ball. So hopefully that wasn't the fix
I had a groaning or squeaking noise also that started after several days of towing. I traded emails with Anderson trying to resolve the issue and ended up using a small amount of lithium grease on the ball based on their recommendation. Instantly solved the problem for me.
Don
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I thought one of the advantages was no need for grease on the ball.
The expectation that no ball grease would be needed results from the fact that the ball rotates with the trailer, so turning doesn't cause relative motion; however, the coupler still moves on the ball with rocking motions.

The Andersen No-Sway design pushes hard on the back of the ball. That probably doesn't cause too much squeaking with side-to-side rocking, but front-to-back rocking will scrape the back of the coupler hard against the ball (causing wear as described above), so it seems reasonable to expect grease to be needed.

The Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch web page says:
Quote:
Grease-free system –ball and coupler move as one
The "move as one" part is obviously not correct (since it ignores motion in two of the three rotational axes), and apparently the grease-free claim is not appropriate.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Brian, I appreciate the thought you've put into this.

I've questioned the whole "no grease" idea since Tammy's dad first hooked the Escape to our car with that same advice. Clearly the hitch has to move around on the ball as it rocks back and forth and when going over dips and humps in the road. I'm going to opt for a little grease. It would be nice to find something almost dry like beeswax or paraffin that would't attract dirt. Maybe Andersen could work on that as well.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Brian, I appreciate the thought you've put into this.

I've questioned the whole "no grease" idea since Tammy's dad first hooked the Escape to our car with that same advice. Clearly the hitch has to move around on the ball as it rocks back and forth and when going over dips and humps in the road. I'm going to opt for a little grease. It would be nice to find something almost dry like beeswax or paraffin that would't attract dirt. Maybe Andersen could work on that as well.
Hi: Parker... I heard/read some where that a dryer sheet over the ball is like a non greasy way to lube it. Can't say it works as we have no ball to try it on. We have a nylon plate over the hitch pin. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018 on order
We've used the dryer sheet tip on our non-Andersen hitch for three seasons and it works well: no stuff to get on your pants, knees, etc., and no squeaking. Just got an Andersen so, based on this discussion, I think we'll keep doing that.

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Parker... I heard/read some where that a dryer sheet over the ball is like a non greasy way to lube it. Can't say it works as we have no ball to try it on. We have a nylon plate over the hitch pin. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I'd forgotten about that. I'm heading over to storage to pick up our Escape this morning and will take a dryer sheet along. I've also heard of wax paper. And......I just remembered a stick of Penzoil Door-Ease that has been in my tool box for over 40 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030458.jpg (218.1 KB, 1 views)

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote