Squeaky Andersen hitch - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I keep wondering when people are hearing the squeaky hitch. Our hitch cannot be heard traveling down the highway. Our hitch cannot be heard when leaving a campground and it has not been used for 24 hours or so. Our hitch CAN be heard after a long and/or hot day and if there is no lubricant on the hitch ball AND one of the windows is rolled down. Although the hitch ball moves with the trailer, this does not prevent the "rolling" (side to side movement) that I have mentioned before on previous posts. The flat top of the ball does not contact the trailer coupler (at least not on ours.) There is, however, wear below the top of the ball on both sides from the rolling movement. These are the two places that need a little lubrication. There may also be some noise from the friction material after a long, hot day. As I have also indicated on previous posts, this material I believe has a "sticky" nature which has interfered with backing up again after a hot day. (Remember that our 15 has a short distance between hitch and axle and the friction material wants to bind and cause the trailer to want to jack-knife more. ) some of this is taken care of by loosening the WD feature before backing. We now have over 8,000 miles on our Andersen. Our friction material is now exposed almost 3/8 of an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3323.jpg   IMG_3324.jpg   IMG_3326.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Although the hitch ball moves with the trailer, this does not prevent the "rolling" (side to side movement) that I have mentioned before on previous posts.
... and "rocking" or "pitching" (front /back movement) such as when going over bumps.
Interesting wear pattern! Almost looks eroded rather than scraped or abraded.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
We now have over 8,000 miles on our Andersen. Our friction material is now exposed almost 3/8 of an inch.
Mine is actually sunk inside the hitch by near 1/4".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I just greased the ball really well, hooked up, and towed our Escape back to storage. It still has the noise, that is probably more appropriately called a creak instead of a squeak. I hear it going over bumps and any time I'm turning or twisting. This is really just a curiosity. The noise is nothing compared to the friction damper we had on our old Casita. So what I can say with certainty is that greasing the ball will probably reduce wear, will definitely ruin a pair of pants at some point, and may help reduce the squeaking for some of the people, some of the time. My work is finished here.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
My Mother now tows a humongous 5th wheel, but when she used to have an Airstream, they used an Andersen hitch. The squeaking was only present when turning, and was caused by the brake/friction material in the ball socket -- not the hitch itself. They never greased the ball, but they did replace the friction material once or twice.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #46

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
squeaky hitch

On this trip I had a much more noisy hitch, in N. CA I bought a tube of white lithium grease and lubed the ball now 80% of the noise is gone.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #47

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If anyone is using an Equalizer brand wdh they sell rubber jackets for the trailer frame sway bar brackets. Cut down the squeaking by about half.
Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #48

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If anyone is using an Equalizer brand wdh they sell rubber jackets for the trailer frame sway bar brackets. Cut down the squeaking by about half.
Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) : Equal-i-zer Hitch Store
I have the plastic jackets and it doesn't squeak at all. I get a little noise on sharp turns or backing but no noise at all while driving.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #49

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Agreed, when they were fairly new.