Stainless steel Stovetop discoloration - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 PM   #31
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Abrasives can work for some stains on "stainless" steel, but as has been suggested, don't go any coarser than necessary, and don't go across the existing pattern from whatever abrasive made the finish. As Delorean owners found on their stainless-paneled cars, also don't use steel wool unless you use stainless steel wool, because ordinary steel wool leaves tiny particles of steel behind to rust.

I would also wonder what the finish really is: I have a brushed steel stovetop, which is actually chromed non-stainless steel, so sanding it would just remove the chrome and result in a lot of rust; also, even if an appliance has a stainless steel panel, if it is finished with a clear coating, it would not be good to remove the coating. I would hope that the appliance manuals (and even a sink usually comes with installation and care instructions) would say how to maintain the finish.

Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #32
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21. Formerly: 1999 Casita 17 LD and 1989 Casita 16 LD
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would hope that the appliance manuals (and even a sink usually comes with installation and care instructions) would say how to maintain the finish.
Good idea, Brian. I, too, noticed some tiny little "rust" spots on our SS sink in our then 2 week old 21. They came up beneath a dishpan that I use in the sink for corraling the tea kettle, soap bottles and etc. while we're underway. I'm hoping they were from something on the bottom of the dishpan... They did seem to disappear when I scrubbed with dish soap and one of those non-scratching sponge/pads (I hope I don't need to put non-scratching in quotation marks) and I don't think they've come back. But perusing the instructions isn't something that occured to me.

Mary F Onward, through the fog!
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #33
Trailer: 1961 Airstream, Future home of a 2017 5.0 TA
Barkeepers Friend has always worked for me. My wife has been using it for over 25 years on all our stainless, especially stove tops

RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote