Stereo and Light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Stereo and Light

Picked up our 19' on Aug 5 and made our way back to Wisconsin via Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Love the trailer but have two issues. The Touch Audio stereo has a blue light on the dial which never goes off and the sound has preset levels so a strong radio station will come in too loud. Have been talking to Tammy and hope to get the unit replaced or money refunded. Anyone had a similar experience and found a stereo they like? Also have a problem with poor lighting in the middle of the trailer. Should be a light in the center of the trailer opposite the wardrobe. Have tried two battery Led lights but neither was bright enough. Any solutions? David
Old 09-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Stereo and Light

I just pull the faceplate off the stereo when not in use to keep the light of and minimize battery drain. I have had no trouble with volume. My unit is a Jensen stereo though.

Placement of lights is somewhat limited across from the wardrobe. Ours is straight across from the fridge. We mounted an LED battery light with about 8 bulbs on the door. More than enough to find what we need inside. Might be you just need a different model, there are literally 100's to choose from nowadays.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

I dislike the Touch Audio system that came in our 5.0 My solution for the too-bright light is a piece of tape on the faceplate.

I never considered the idea of removing the system and asking for a refund...and its too late now. Eventually I will replace it with one of the better automotive systems. The only concern I have is finding a remote control. And, BTW, who designed the remote for the TouchAudio?...buttons all the same approximate size and shape and arranged in a pretty-darned illogical manner.

Rant off...I still LOVE my Escape

Dave
Old 09-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Hi,

We are into high fidelity sound so we chose one from Crutchfield online (great company - great prices) and shipped it to Rease and they put it in for us. It is a very nice stereo/receiver - AM FM CD player with bluetooth and usb, etc. Separate speakers (purchased separately, too).

The sound quality should be quite good so we are looking forward to it. The high def TV/DVD player will plug into it, too.

--Kris
kalyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

With advances in electronics appearing weekly, I chose not to have anything installed. I didn't want a hole that wouldn't accommodate a new piece of gear or a piece of gear that may fail and can't be easily repaired or replaced.

We have a Sirius satellite radio that mounts in an Executive Dock in the trailer or in a car mount in the RAV. We listen to 'oldie' radio shows ( Our Miss Brooks and The Shadow ) or CBC or one of 157 other stations, wherever we are. Which is why I don't miss TV. However, I pay $15 a month for the service and only listen when we are on the road.
I have a Altec-Lansing dock for my iPod. I can take it or the Sirius dock outside or use them in the trailer or the RAV on batteries or AC / DC.

I bought a TV mount and never installed it. Gave it away. Bought a 15 inch TV and that's now in my daughter's apartment in Halifax while she attends university. Bought a 7-inch DVD player and have used it twice to view a documentary short on Airstreams.

I've been thinking about an iPad or maybe a Kindle, which reminds me that a friend who owns a book store on an island frequented by vacationers sells lots of books to people who forgot to bring the charger for their eBook.

baglo

Old 09-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

Glad I read these posts as I now realize I have no idea what model stereo/dvd player is coming in our 17B.
Have fired off an email to Tammy to get the facts!

Of course, giving the prevalence of blu-ray on the market and since I have a huge blu-ray collection, I just assumed that the stereo/dvd player would be blu-ray ... Doesn't seem to be the case as google-ing rv stereos shows nothing definitive (audiovox releasing one in 2011) just speculation.

Playback in Hi-definition isn't really the issue -it's the ability to watch dvd's in whatever format you own. Who wants to buy another copy in a different format just to take in the RV?
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the interesting and helpful responses.
Lbaranyal, Ask Tammy about the speakers. The ones installed for us look like they belong in the back window of a 56` Chevy. Not very attractive in the faux light oak decor. Trying to get those replaced as well. David
Old 09-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
With advances in electronics appearing weekly, I chose not to have anything installed. I didn't want a hole that wouldn't accommodate a new piece of gear or a piece of gear that may fail and can't be easily repaired or replaced.

baglo
I did the same. I have a XM radio receiver that I move from the RAV4 to the trailer (separate antennas) when I can't reach the internet & listen to Pandora radio. I have a Sony dock that has an aux in for the XM radio, FM radio, and an iPod connector that works OK (even though the phone keeps telling me it isn't compatible) with my iPhone.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"

Call me a luddite, but at night while camping, I only listen to the crickets, sans Buddy Holly.
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Call me a luddite, but at night while camping, I only listen to the crickets, sans Buddy Holly.
Since I was basically unaware I looked up 'Luddite"

The Luddites were a social movement of 19th-century English textile artisans who protested – often by destroying mechanized looms – against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt were leaving them without work and changing their way of life. The movement was named after General Ned Ludd or King Ludd, a mythical figure who, like Robin Hood, was reputed to live in Sherwood Forest.[1]

Of course traveling/camping with an Escape is a tad off the "Luddite" path

But l kind-of of like the concept and of course having hot water.. There's always that off chance I'm caught in the forest with only some water & a condom - I know I can make a fire, I guess the luddite in me would be a happy camper..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #11

so i gather you would loom large, like a pro-active trojan, when it comes to condoning the mechanized manufacture of condoms for fire starting.
jopoelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #12

...and they make handy slingshots for downing the occasional male robin (went there - sorta)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffZ
The Luddites were a social movement of 19th-century English textile artisans who protested – often by destroying mechanized looms – against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt were leaving them without work and changing their way of life. The movement was named after General Ned Ludd or King Ludd, a mythical figure who, like Robin Hood, was reputed to live in Sherwood Forest.[1]
In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation or new technologies in general. I'll respectfully add... those that are afraid of technology....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Has anyone used an external speaker and if so what brand and the mechanics for utilization?
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

For an external speaker I use my Altec-Lansing iPod dock or the executive dock with the Sirius radio.
Both will run on DC power so I got extension cords for DC from The Source and I just run the wire out the door of the trailer, or from the DC outlets in the RAV.
The iPod dock also runs on batteries. Search The Source, Future Shop, Best Buy or any electronics store and you will find a wide selection of speaker systems for iPod or other MP3 players. They also sell battery powered speakers and extension cords for the audio wire, if you would rather plug in to your sound system in the trailer and run wire to the speakers.

My system enables me to set the speaker a couple feet away from me rather than broadcasting my taste in music to my fellow campers.

baglo
Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b

I picked up a DeWalt 'shop radio' at Loews in Portland for $150.00.
No tax.
Has plug ins for iPods and satellite radio. AM and FM band.
Charges it's own battery
Has 3 additional electric outlets.
I use the battery in my DeWalt drill for my leveling jacks.
www.dewalt.com
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19

Thanks so much for the advise.
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote