Sticky external stove vent - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2016, 11:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Sticky external stove vent

Just picked up our new 19 ' Escape.. Got it home and all tucked away and was checking things out and noticed when I turned on the exhaust fan for the stove I walked outside and noticed the little flapper door was quite sticky and the fan didn't have the poop to open the flapper and yes the little tabs to keep it closed while traveling were open. Living on the island and a little apprehensive taking it back to have it replaced... Ferry costs.. That will be a $500 trip.
Ideas anyone ? I really don't want anyone touching this that didn't build it.. It kind of looks as though it's gotta go back and be taken off and replaced.
Anyone else with this experience ?

Maybe have to call Escape and get some direction ..
Bluegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
On our 2012 19 we have the same issue. The fix for us was to take a small bulldog clip and clamp the flap open when we set up. It has become a routine and not that big of a deal for us. We found that the hood fan was better at making noise than moving air.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19
Just disappointed is all, I just towed it home from the ETI and found this today. I literally had to go out and list the vent open to get any air flow at all. Then it would stick wide open when the fan was shut off, wasps and flies and little crawlies come to mind with a vent stuck open...
Bluegrouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yup, you're right, the fan really doesn't have enough poop to fully open the flap.

Ditto holding it open. We use a red clothespin which is a good reminder to close and lock the flap before hitting the road. It is much more effective with the flap fully open.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Common issue with these types of vents. Actually with use it will loosen up, or you can stand there and flip it up and down a bunch of times. Maybe squirt some dry lubricant in the slots/tabs.

I replaced the same vent on my Scamp years ago the things I mentioned above helped. Just remember, it's not going to ever stand straight out when using the fan without some help as mentioned.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is an interior screen to keep bugs out....
Old 04-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I can't say how well the flapper works as I didn't discover the little tabs until I was getting the trailer ready for storage. And the light in the vent isn't anything to write home about either. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Here is the problem and the fix.
The grease screen inside contains a charcoal filter, I believe this set-up is designed for a recirculating system and not an externally vented system, you can get just the mesh screen which clips inside under the hood. If you remove that mesh screen the vent works great, lots of flow, the charcoal filter is just too restrictive for that type and size of fan.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Vent sticking

A little lubrication and exercising the flap should help. Since you have to flip the little tabs to secure the flap before moving, that will be on you exterior checklist. Therefore, the hold open clothespin, chip clip or whatever is no big deal. To me anyway.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I wasn't aware there was an inside screen and didn't want bugs to come in---(we get enough of the tiny guys with lights on in the evening and them coming in through the window screens)
Thanks--I do have clips already packed..
Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I wasn't aware there was an inside screen and didn't want bugs to come in---(we get enough of the tiny guys with lights on in the evening and them coming in through the window screens)
Thanks--I do have clips already packed..
The "inside screen" or wire mesh is not for bugs, it is a grease filter. The outside flap is designed to keep the critters out. Just try removing the grease filter and you will see that the outside flap works great without having to clip it open. The airflow and efficiency of the range hood will increase 10 fold.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
The "inside screen" or wire mesh is not for bugs, it is a grease filter. The outside flap is designed to keep the critters out. Just try removing the grease filter and you will see that the outside flap works great without having to clip it open. The airflow and efficiency of the range hood will increase 10 fold.
Going to give that a try . Thanks . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Thank you
Old 04-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Here is the problem and the fix.
The grease screen inside contains a charcoal filter, I believe this set-up is designed for a recirculating system and not an externally vented system, you can get just the mesh screen which clips inside under the hood. If you remove that mesh screen the vent works great, lots of flow, the charcoal filter is just too restrictive for that type and size of fan.
Partly. I took a closer look at it and discovered that there is a hole that allows air pulled through the charcoal filter to return to the interior. My wife said a long time ago that there was a breeze coming from under the hood, should've listened to her.

This range hood, as supplied by the manufacturer, is meant to be a recirculating type, without an external vent. Half the air moved by the fan goes out the vent flap if it can get it open and the other half blows out into the interior, kind of counter-productive.

I put some tape over the interior exhausting opening and the fan now pushes the flap open a usable amount even with the grease filter in place. I'm happy about that as one of the reasons I have a range hood is to give grease a place to stick to that's easy to clean.

So: want your fan to work better and exhaust stuff instead of blowing it back into the interior; tape over the slot.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20-04-2016 4-45-53 PM_0001_resize.JPG   20-04-2016 4-47-24 PM_0003_resize.JPG   20-04-2016 4-54-11 PM_0004_resize.JPG   20-04-2016 4-55-03 PM_0006_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks Ron Nice analysis and description!

I have two similar outside-venting stove hoods in RVs - one very old Jensen and one recent Ventline - and neither one has this recirculation opening. I wonder if there was supposed to be a blocking plate to be used in outside-venting mode?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I don't have the trailer available to look, and haven't used this feature yet. Does anyone know if the stainless hood has the same slot Ron is describing?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I don't have the trailer available to look, and haven't used this feature yet. Does anyone know if the stainless hood has the same slot Ron is describing?
That is what I want to know ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 2014 Escape did not recirculate, it was the black hood model, perhaps it is just the white model? I'm eliminating this hood in the new unit by moving the stove over next to the door, under the MaxFan and the opening window, turning it 90 degrees. This worked well in my 2012 Escape.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Ours is the stainless hood. The opening that Ron taped over on the inside of our hood already has a plastic cover on it. I cleaned the screen and installed it again, but to no avail... still not enough air movement to open up the flap. Bulldog clip it is!

cpaharley has the right idea, let the powerful MaxxFan do the work!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape
Ron in BC
Well done. Thank you for providing information that is actually correct and can be applied ! The range vent is a direct outlet and much better than using the maxfan for cooking ventilation.