Sticky external stove vent - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I've got the opposite problem!

Ours (SS) works fine with the fan but unless BOTH tabs are used to hold it down, it flaps in the wind at night and keeps me awake! It will rattle with one tab down enough to disturb me. I have had to get up a few times, get dressed (enough) and go outside to secure both tabs in the middle of the night.
46indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I solved the problem long ago ( not that I knew I had one ). I cook outside.
I turn on the Maxxfan when boiling water for coffee ( keeps smoke alarm from going off ).
I'm more concerned about losing the pins that hold the flap closed.
Me too.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:03 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Good and check to see which category you're in with the interior re circulation vent.

Not the best configuration for the fan. It blows vertically at the nearby "roof" of the housing. I was thinking a more efficient setup would be two small computer type fans, side by side, mounted just inside the vent flap and blowing straight out.

How's that for fixing something that's only half broke.

Ron
I just checked ours . Did not remove the filter or punch holes in charcoal . Took a piece of paper towel and it holds it up there just not very strong . I also removed blade and turned it around . Blew air down . Put it back the way it was originally . Question is the problem because the blades are not up a little inside and maybe that is why it makes a lot of noise ? What if like other fans cut a piece of aluminum to go around so if is making like a tunneling affect ? Do not want to use Maxfan when cooking and pull grease and such up to that fan and ceiling .mI have 2 times cleaned the max fan and it gets real dirty all by itself without using it for cooking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ok, this will muddy the waters further.
Just got back from storage and our stainless hood does not have the ominous hole that Ron taped over or some have covers on. We have a 2015 model that was completed in Nov 15. When I undo the tabs and go inside and turn on the fan it works as designed. Nice strong pull and flap completely open. You can also see right through the filter and it's quite permeable.
I'm wondering if Reace changed vendors somewhere recently on it.
Guess for the moment we don't have a dog in this hunt.

We cook outside as well and usually only do percolator coffee on the stove so it's not a feature I really have used much on past trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
20160422_152752.jpg  
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Wanna trade? We cook a lot inside and do use ours.

Well that muddies the waters. Your sheet metal shape looks a little different. Maybe they changed not only that but the fan rating as well. Well, lucky you.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #46

Quote:

Well that muddies the waters. Your sheet metal shape looks a little different. Maybe they changed not only that but the fan rating as well. Well, lucky you.

Ron
Ron I want it first . Just kidding . Anyway I can't see through mine . Is there something else missing I wonder ? Pat
Old 04-22-2016, 11:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ron I want it first . Just kidding . Anyway I can't see through mine . Is there something else missing I wonder ? Pat
Looking at picture doesn't look like charcoal piece is in there . Mine is black . Going to check RV place in town tomorrow . Pat
Old 04-23-2016, 12:01 AM   #48

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
After reading through this thread, I'm glad we aren't getting the range hood. No fan, flap, or mosquito entryway to worry about when we pick up our 5.0 TA in July.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, previously 2006 17B
GOTTA FIX:
What I did was used a little bit of old bicycle brake cable and sheath. I fixed the sheath near the vent opening with a small metal electrical clip. Ran the cable out of one of the little openings in the fan casing, made a loop in the cable and the little lead thingy that used to be in the brake handgrip now pushes the vent open from the inside.

We seldom use the range hood fan - the whine just annoys me. Rainy days cooking a steak - maxfan moves the greasy smoke outside quickly (with the air coming in the range vent). One guy's solution.
Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapist View Post
GOTTA FIX:
What I did was used a little bit of old bicycle brake cable and sheath. I fixed the sheath near the vent opening with a small metal electrical clip. Ran the cable out of one of the little openings in the fan casing, made a loop in the cable and the little lead thingy that used to be in the brake handgrip now pushes the vent open from the inside.

We seldom use the range hood fan - the whine just annoys me. Rainy days cooking a steak - maxfan moves the greasy smoke outside quickly (with the air coming in the range vent). One guy's solution.
Interesting you came up with a nifty solution .That is same principle on my previous Class C . I guess to save money no longer . Just got back from our RV seller in town . Went in all trailers , motorhomes ,Class C 's and Class A 's . On some I found a metal plate covering hole that some of us have tape , nothing , or plastic . Some have no opening . Not one of the grease screens had a charcoal filter in them . All were just the aluminum screen . Found that fan blades do not spin below the opening as I suspected wasn't right . After I remove charcoal filter will figure out a mod to get fan a little higher in opening . Now I saved the best for last . Temps here today are about 75 . The frameless Hehr Windows , if you want some air from Windows , good luck . Not much . Sat in motorhome with sliders , nice breeze coming in Windows . If it was me I would before I get these Windows go check them and sit in RV's with them to see if you will be happy . Also the seal looked a little wimpy and the hardware to open and close you hope doesn't come off , it looks to be glued to glass . I have had a rear view mirror come unglued and had to have it reglued to glass on my Nissan truck . Carry duck tape just in case . It would be prudent to check this out yourself without anyone telling you nay or yeah . Pat
Old 04-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... If it was me I would before I get these Windows go check them and sit in RV's with them to see if you will be happy . Also the seal looked a little wimpy and the hardware to open and close you hope doesn't come off , it looks to be glued to glass . I have had a rear view mirror come unglued and had to have it reglued to glass on my Nissan truck .
Rear view mirrors in vehicles are deliberately mounted to break away without excessive force, to reduce injuries in collisions. I'm not saying that adhesive mounting is free of problems, only that a truck's interior rear-view mirror coming off doesn't indicate any limitation of adhesive mounting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM   #52

Quote:

Went in all trailers , motorhomes ,Class C 's and Class A 's . On some I found a metal plate covering hole that some of us have tape , nothing , or plastic . Some have no opening . Not one of the grease screens had a charcoal filter in them . All were just the aluminum screen .

The frameless Hehr Windows , if you want some air from Windows , good luck . Not much . Sat in motorhome with sliders , nice breeze coming in Windows .. Pat
Good detective work. Interesting that our little sample had the same range of cover, tape and nothing. One things for sure, for those of us that do cook in the trailer and use the exhaust fan, checking to see which group you're in could improve the exhausting of grease ladden air.

No surprise about the better ventilation with the sliders. I know, I know some think the frameless are better because there's less chance of rain getting in when they're left open when it's raining. To each their own. We don't have an a/c and cross ventilation is more important to us.

Ron
Old 04-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The best cross ventilation is sitting outside, if the wind is not blowing in the right direction you will not get any air, regardless of how big the opening is. I have had 3 campers with awning windows and enjoyed them all.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Rear view mirrors in vehicles are deliberately mounted to break away without excessive force, to reduce injuries in collisions. I'm not saying that adhesive mounting is free of problems, only that a truck's interior rear-view mirror coming off doesn't indicate any limitation of adhesive mounting.
Brian the adhesive just failed in our truck .Mirror just fell off with no one touching it . To open and close the frameless you are going to be putting stress on that window piece which could very well fall off . Hence I would carry duck tape just in case . Pat
Old 04-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #55

Quote:
Good detective work. Interesting that our little sample had the same range of cover, tape and nothing. One things for sure, for those of us that do cook in the trailer and use the exhaust fan, checking to see which group you're in could improve the exhausting of grease ladden air.

No surprise about the better ventilation with the sliders. I know, I know some think the frameless are better because there's less chance of rain getting in when they're left open when it's raining. To each their own. We don't have an a/c and cross ventilation is more important to us.

Ron
Thanks Ron . It was fun though going through all the new RV's . Sitting in RV 's was just a little breeze which was nice with the sliders .Didn't seem to being any air movement and hot with frameless . Living in Caifornia we do have the ac but if not too hot or boondocking like the fresh air . I would guess especially at night . I forgot my camera but if I go down there again will get some pics of those vents . Pat
Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The best cross ventilation is sitting outside, if the wind is not blowing in the right direction you will not get any air, regardless of how big the opening is.
I don't do sleeping outside the trailer very well. I like a light natural breeze on a warm night. Even though we've had a/c many times on Cruise America deliveries we've never yet run it at night. Don't like the noise or the cold breeze.

On the rare occasions when there's not a breath of wind my little hanging computer fan in front of the slider provides a silent just right breeze.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-05-2015 4-19-22 PM_0009_resize.jpg  
Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #57

Quote:

Ron
Hi Ron just finished removing the charcoal filter . Takes patience but can be done . Put a paper towel just below fan and it sucked it up . The best part checked the flap door outside and it was open all the way . Just for the heck removed 2 screws and put the hanger inside and put screws back .brought the fan up a little , I don't think that made it any better but I might just leave it there . Tomorrow going to cut a piece of aluminum to cover that hole . Still want fan quieter but at least it works 10 times better . Made sure the screen is away from fan blades , used a piece of wood and give it a little bend around . Pat
Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
There is no charcoal filter in my new one that's working, so that definitely seems to be the right direction.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
There is no charcoal filter in my new one that's working, so that definitely seems to be the right direction.
I noticed yours Gregg . Also when I went today and checked all the vents no charcoal . They are just like yours . The fan motor says Heng's . Pat
Old 04-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016
Send a message via MSN to Flying Scot Send a message via Yahoo to Flying Scot
Not sure if folks are still watching this post four years later, but I just discovered that the flap has disappeared! Where can I get a replacement?
Flying Scot is offline   Reply With Quote