Stock radio - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Ice- breaker,

Where did you have your radio installed. Going to get one and haven't decided on an install location yet. Did you have it "cut in" or surface mounted?

Thanks

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't have an installed radio / music system.
And after only five years I'm looking at new solutions to my entertainment system.
I started with an iPod and iPod dock ( that required AC or 6 AAA batteries ) and a Sirius satellite radio and a dock for it ( with AC and DC cords ). So then I had to get an inverter to ensure I had charging options.
I got a small 12VDC and 120VAC TV and a tiny 7" DVD player ( AC and internal battery ).
Now I have an iPhone ( with Bluetooth ), a Sirius App ( when WiFi is available ) and Bluetooth speaker.
I've got my MacBook Air and wife now has an iPad.
So, with changing technology, I could pretty much watch movies and TV ( streaming ), listen to iTunes library and satellite radio and do all that with fewer technological bits ( assuming WiFi ).
Given that I often camp where there is no WiFi, no AM or FM radio and no Weather radio or TV signal, I guess I'm gonna have to carry all my options with me.
But, what I don't have is hole in a cabinet that requires a certain size entertainment system to fill it, as technology advances.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1 View Post
Ice- breaker,

Where did you have your radio installed. Going to get one and haven't decided on an install location yet. Did you have it "cut in" or surface mounted?

Thanks

Dave
Ours was installed on the upper cabinet above the stove. The radio is quite thin, so it fit quite well mounted on the surface of the cabinet.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #24

Ice-breaker,

Thanks for the quick reply and picture!! Glad to hear that it is thin and surface mounting works well. I agree with gbaglo as technology changes I don't want to cut a hole if I don't have to.

Dave
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #25

Ice-Breaker,

Looks like a clean install.
Where did you mount the speakers?

Jim
2012 Nissan Frontier
jlgrillot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrillot View Post
Ice-Breaker,

Looks like a clean install.
Where did you mount the speakers?

Jim
Don't have recent photos of the speakers so I have attached a couple sent to us by Tammy during the build. Rear pair of speakers are mounted in the upper cabinet above the bed, and front pair of speakers are mounted under the front dinette overhead shelf.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I also have one of these, as you travel you change the locale, it has over 200 Accuweather stations it picks up. I keep it mounted in BlackJack. Bushnell Wireless Ambient 5 Day Accuweather Weather Station Model 95 0005 | eBay
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #28

To be perfectly honest, I probably spent a lot more time worrying about (and placing more importance on) stereos and speakers during the build than I should have. When it actually came down to using the 19' while camping, we spent most of our time outside doing stuff, and very little time in the trailer listening to the radio. However, I am pleased with the quality of the radio we did get.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I also agree with gbaglo - I don't want to cut unneeded holes in the face or loose cabinet space for the unit & speakers so I went with a good iPod dock. I have a Sony RDP XF100iP. It has a battery that runs it for about 6 hours, an aux input for my XM radio tuner, a lousy FM tuner, and a dock for my iPhone. Love the sound quality, but wish the FM section was better. I'm a NPR junky, and while it is available on XM radio, the selection is not all that good. If I have internet, I can use an app on the phone, but, of course that uses some of my data allotment.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
To be perfectly honest, I probably spent a lot more time worrying about (and placing more importance on) stereos and speakers during the build than I should have. When it actually came down to using the 19' while camping, we spent most of our time outside doing stuff, and very little time in the trailer listening to the radio. However, I am pleased with the quality of the radio we did get.
Not that I spent a lot of time planning, I just bought the undermount stereo from Escape, but it really does not get used that much. It does work great when it does, but if there ever is a next time, I will go with a portable system.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #31

Our entertainment system consists of an iPhone, iPad and a bluetooth speaker. We might add a tv at some point but we watch very little tv at home these days.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	4872
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargofool View Post
I think the statement
A full two-year warranty is included on the completed Escape trailer.
means, or should mean, that there is a full 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. This should mean that if a manufacturer of an accessory product fails to honor their warranty, Escape's 2 year warranty will apply.
Although the About the Escape page includes the statement
Quote:
A full two-year warranty is included on the completed Escape trailer.
an automobile manufacturer typically makes a similar statement about "bumper to bumper" coverage (although 3 years is currently more common), and that warranty explicitly excludes the tires, which are covered by the tire manufacturer. RV manufacturers take this approach much further, so the trailer warranty normally covers stuff actually built by the trailer maker (frame, fiberglass shell, cabinets, wiring, plumbing...) but not the stuff they just install.

I hope there is a more specific statement of the warranty to be reviewed and accepted by the purchaser prior to completing an order, but I don't see it in the web site. Of course, I'm the same person who didn't find the ad for a used trailer because it was in the news stream...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #33

More on the warranty...
I was looking at information about Chalet truck campers (mentioned in an unrelated thread), and noticed that the details of the warranty are included in their owner's manual. This is not the Escape warranty, or even one for another travel trailer, but it is from a typical RV manufacturer. They include this section:
Quote:
EXCLUSIONS
The scope of this warranty is expressly limited to only items actually constructed by Chalet. Chalet therefore makes no warranty with respect to component parts constructed or assembled by other manufacturers, including, but not limited to, all electrical devices (TV, sound systems, DVD player, antennas, batteries, etc.), the propane appliances, electrical appliances, heaters, refrigerators, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures, lights, entrance door and windows. Such component parts may be warranted by their respective manufacturers, and copies of such warranties are included with the Camper.
I don't have an Escape (yet), and I don't see an owner's manual on the ETI website (although it may be there and I just can't find it), so perhaps a current owner could check to see if this sort of exclusion detail is in the Escape warranty.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
The 2012 Escape 19 owners manual, with warranty, has been uploaded to the Files section of this forum.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
The 2012 Escape 19 owners manual, with warranty, has been uploaded to the Files section of this forum.
Thanks!
I should have thought to look here, in addition to the ETI site.

Downloading from the files section is not working for me, but I'll try it from a different computer tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM   #36

It was just a compatibility issue (I can download to a Windows machine, but not my Android tablet), so I now have the Escape owners manual.

Although the Escape warranty covers a list of "Escape manufactured and installed components", including the "Electrical system", it explicitly does not cover
Quote:
Tires, glass, appliances or those items which are under separate
warranty from the respective manufacturers or where warranty service
is available from their authorized facilities throughout Canada.
This is as I would expect, and I believe that it means that the radio is covered by the manufacturer or distributor of the radio, and not by Escape.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is as I would expect, and I believe that it means that the radio is covered by the manufacturer or distributor of the radio, and not by Escape.
Which only makes sense. Otherwise you would have to return the offending appliance to Escape, and they would have to send it to the manufacturer.
Much easier to go to a local authorized service centre.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Thanks, all. Well, we seem to be off track with my original question, but that's okay! To be clear, I had no intention of inferring that ETI was responsible for the warranty only that a) I would ask Reace and co for their help - it could simply be that I'm doing something silly or not! and b) if there is a problem, I intend to inform ETI so they can either reconsider their choice of stock radio, or not. Which is what everyone should do if there's an issue with a component What ETI doesn't know, they can't fix.

Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #39

Suspect there is no authorized service centre on Gabriola Island.
Have you phoned Escape to see if they can trouble-shoot it over the phone?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We're travelling in southern California at the moment and we've bought a new portable stereo for the time being - we needed one anyway for home - and I'll check with Escape when we pass by for other repairs. Thanks for the thought though, gbaglo :-)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote