Stock radio - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Stock radio

So, we foolishly opted for the stock radio in our new 5.0 after Tammy told us that she hadn't heard any complaints. Less than 6 months in, it has died after "swallowing" a cd. According to the manual, in which the picture bears no resemblance to our unit, there should be a reset switch.

Does anyone know where such an animal resides in the radio or, better yet, how to get the front off?

Thanks!
Christine
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Christine, can you post the brand and model number? If no one answers up, the WWW is full of manufacturers and users manuals.

The CD player in my truck swallowed a CD too. It's just something they do sometimes. Even my Mom's Bose did it after the first WEEK.

I don't think you were foolish at all.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #3

I have no experience with your particular radio, however, most CD players have a small hole on the front where you can insert a paper clip to manually eject the CD.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

Thanks, Donna, for the vote of confidence! But I am a bit foolish because others on this forum have complained about this radio. I just thought if they hadn't said anything to Tammy then it wasn't that serious. But now I have no radio. Nada.
It's a Touch Audio VD-301. I have the manual and I've checked on line and got the same manual. And other people complaining about it.
Thanks, onetim, but there is no little hole on the front for manual eject.
Not to worry. I have to take the trailer back to Chilliwack for some self-inflicted damage (don't ask) so I'll ask Reace or Dave to work their magic :-)
Old 02-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You brought up a good point. ETI can't fix what they don't know is broken! It's up to us, the consumer, to point out problems. We KNOW ETI wants to build the best product on the market for the price and they don't want to hear about complaints AFTER THE FACT. So please, everyone if you have any kind of problem with anything, give ETI a chance to correct it for future owners (like me!).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Would still be under warranty, wouldn't it?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
There was a thread awhile back where I questioned whether this radio is worth getting. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ereo-1800.html Based on discussions, we bought another product (JHD910BT) and had Reace install it during the build. No regrets.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #8

Oh dear. Based on ice-breaker's comment, I guess I'm just not intelligent enough for this forum. :-( Silly me for not listening to a few whinges over Tammy's experience with no one actually taking the time to complain officially. Sorry, it's been a long day full of people who know what's best ......

Thanks, Glenn and Donna. I'll look into the warranty thing (there's no card with the ETI stuff) and let Tammy know of the issue when I'm in Chilliwack.

I'll go away now.
Christine
Old 02-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Would still be under warranty, wouldn't it?
The trailer has it's own warranty as do the individual components, e.g..the water heater, furnace, refer, radio. I think you have to deal with the component manufacturer. If unsuccessful, ETI may then step in as good customer relations, but they are under no obligation for the components which carry their own warranties.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Oh dear. Based on ice-breaker's comment, I guess I'm just not intelligent enough for this forum. :-( Silly me for not listening to a few whinges over Tammy's experience with no one actually taking the time to complain officially. Sorry, it's been a long day full of people who know what's best ......

Thanks, Glenn and Donna. I'll look into the warranty thing (there's no card with the ETI stuff) and let Tammy know of the issue when I'm in Chilliwack.

I'll go away now.
Christine
Minnie, please don't take my post as being critical of your choice. I simply wanted to point out that there has been some discussion of this radio in the past. Even in the previous thread there were some posters that were satisfied with the factory supplied radio. I simply chose another option.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #11

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The trailer has it's own warranty as do the individual components, e.g..the water heater, furnace, refer, radio. I think you have to deal with the component manufacturer. If unsuccessful, ETI may then step in as good customer relations, but they are under no obligation for the components which carry their own warranties.

I would disagree. I think the statement
A full two-year warranty is included on the completed Escape trailer.
means, or should mean, that there is a full 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. This should mean that if a manufacturer of an accessory product fails to honor their warranty, Escape's 2 year warranty will apply.
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Too cold to go out to the trailer to get my manual, but I believe that it says that there is a two-year warranty on the trailer and that the appliances are covered by the manufacturers' warranties.
When my furnace needed repair and was within warranty, I took it down to my local RV shop ( five minute drive ) and as an authorized service centre, it was fixed, for free.
But, there is no point discussing what we don't know. Since you are going to Escape anyway, they may be able to solve your problem by showing you how to eject the CD, or they may replace the unit, or help you to get if fixed by the manufacturer.
What we do know, is that Escape will make it right.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
I am working on my build sheet and gleaning info from the forum. I was thinking of a portable sound system/BT/iPhone compatible such as a Bose, but the weather radio capability seems very important. Does anyone have something like this? It would serve the weather needs, but not the music.
Amazon.com: AcuRite 08580 Weather Station Plus Portable Weather Alert Radio: Electronics
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #14

This is the one I have installed in my last 3 campers, You can get it with or without speakers but you will need an internal antenna which can be bought from Jensen. This model is blue tooth, I purchased a blue tooth speaker to eliminate wires. It is dc powered and will announce weather alerts with the SAME process other weather radios use. iPod compatible and am/fm.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #15

Jim - that Jensen looks good, but my significant other is a weather geek. I am thinking that the weather station with portable unit (she will love, love, love that) and alerts with a separate portable music system might be the ticket for us. We like some of the Bose portable units - taking tunes outside will be key!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
I am working on my build sheet and gleaning info from the forum. I was thinking of a portable sound system/BT/iPhone compatible such as a Bose, but the weather radio capability seems very important. Does anyone have something like this? It would serve the weather needs, but not the music.
Amazon.com: AcuRite 08580 Weather Station Plus Portable Weather Alert Radio: Electronics
This is the radio we purchased and shipped to Escape for Reace to install during the build.
It is a Jensen JHD910BT with am, fm, weather band, and bluetooth broadcast capability. So far has worked well for us.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #17

how does an iPhone or iPod attach? Specs say front and rear hook ups, but I can't see them in the picture. So with the BT you link to external speakers right?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
how does an iPhone or iPod attach? Specs say front and rear hook ups, but I can't see them in the picture. So with the BT you link to external speakers right?
An external device would connect through a jack on the front of the radio (has a rubber cover in the bottom front right hand corner of the device). The bluetooth is for broadcasting from the device, and would work with bluetooth headphones or a bluetooth speaker. There are conventional speaker and antennae jacks in the back similar to those that would be present on any automotive radio. Reace installed a hidden antenna in the walls of our 19' for use with this radio, and four speakers, 2 in front and 2 in back areas of our 19'.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #19

This radio is a weather radio (w/b) means weather band and will turn on automatically if there is an alert in your area. You do realize that the weather tv channel is the equivalent of MTV for people over 50!!
I leave my weather radio on continuously sometimes when alone, it's like company?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #20

Jim- I do understand that and that my partner will love, love, love having a little screen to look at the weather outside the trailer before the door is opened! Our house has no less than 6 little weather monitoring devices in it! The weather station also includes the weather radio alerts, so we won't miss any big weather events!! I am happy to open the door and stick my head out to determine the weather…. but both of us need to be happy in the trailer!