Storage and Vacuum ideas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Storage and Vacuum ideas

2 questions:
First what do people use to organize the storage cupboards.
Second what do you use for small vacuum cleaners. Compact design

Thanks
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: TBD
I use an 18 volt Makita vacuum. It helps that I also have other Makita 18 volt tools (although I fear, not enough).

https://smile.amazon.com/Makita-XLC0...s%2C221&sr=8-3
Old 07-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Compact vacuum

We bought this one on Amazon and it works surprisingly well for our E21. It would not be useful on carpet, however, given the way the brush head works.
>>>iwoly V600 Vacuum Cleaner 600W Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick and Handheld Vacuum with Cyclone HEPA Filtration<<<
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We just take along the 16v dust buster that we use at home, been working fine for the trailer and truck for the last few years. We plug it in when we have hookups.

I was going to get a 12vdc job, but so far have no reason to.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
First decide if you really need to take a vacuum cleaner. I don't, but I don't have pets or children. I vacuum when I get home from a trip. The longest trip was just short of 60 days. I have a 'scritchy' mat by the outside steps, one affixed to the step and a softer material welcome mat just inside the door. I have throw rugs I can take outside and shake. I use a broom with a collapsible handle and Swiffer pads to wash the vinyl floor. The only carpet that might need to be vacuumed are the steps to the loft and the loft floor. I prefer to wipe my shoes well, or take them off. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I use an 18 volt Makita vacuum. It helps that I also have other Makita 18 volt tools (although I fear, not enough).

We use a similar Ryobi handheld vac setup, which conveniently uses the same batteries as the Ryobi cordless compressor, lantern, chainsaw, etc. that we carry.

Primary cleanup tool is a collapsible broom, but then the handvac gets all the leftover bits from the corners and tight little places around the edges. Frequency of cleanup varies dramatically, depending on camping location. Some places generate very little floor dirt. Some places make lots, despite outside carpet and shoe scuff entry mat.

There is no way we could go 60 days without a 5 minute sweep/vac job, usually once every few days.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Over the years we've had an assortment of small vacuums for boats and trailer use.

I consider the 12 volts ones that we've had useless. The Dust Buster type was an improvement. But the Dyson, man, that'd suck the fuzz off a peach. Best one we've ever had.

It's very handyfor areas like the screen door track and getting into corners etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I also have ryobi hand vac that runs off the rechargeable batteries that I have for drill, inflator, and the fan--which also runs on plug in.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post

As far as storage, Target and Walmart have plastic baskets that will fit into all the storage compartments. As you use the trailer, it will tell you what you need/want based on your use and needs.

As far as vacuum, the Makita is the one I have and use.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
We took a vacuum cleaner first couple of times we went out,, never used it and we have a pet. So it stays home now. We use a long handle whisk broom, does the job, stores in closeet corner
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Dyson vacuum

We use a Dyson vacuum cleaner that we store at the end of our bed. In addition to the floor, I find it very convent for cleaning the truck carpeting and trailer screens. It is on the expensive side, but it has a very strong suction.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have pretty much given up on 12V DC powered vacuums. Tried a few that were supposed to be one of the best, but they really do suck at sucking.

Our plan is to buy a small as possible, yet as powerful as we can get, 120V vacuum, and take advantage of our inverter or campground connections should we have them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Daughter's former boyfriend's family own a vacuum cleaner store. I figured I could get a discount on a 12V vacuum. They wouldn't sell me one. They said they all suck. Gave me a 120V Dirt Devil Scorpion Turbo instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Vac.jpg  
Old 07-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a small handheld vacuum that gets the dog hair and sand and dirt. Also a broom with a head that comes when in storage. We have an AstroTurf type mat for
Wiping our feet that does a good job. Every day I shake out the throw rugs outside. And finally, though I haven’t used it yet, I have the tool box sized 18V Milwaukee vacuum because I’m all Milwaukee on cordless tools. One thing not mentioned yet is using a powerful vacuum before retiring for the night to suck up Gnats, no see ums, mosquitoes and other insect pests of the night from around the lights and the door.
The Milwaukee runs a long time on a battery and charges up quickly with a rapid
charger.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With 4 extra 12v outlets installed I went with the Armorall vac- works fine and the cord is long enough to reach anywhere inside...https://www.amazon.com/ArmorAll-Wet-...gateway&sr=8-3
Attached Thumbnails
71uxk6LniQL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My post had a typo ( which I have fixed ). They said all 12V vacuums are lousy and wouldn't sell me one. They gave me a 120V corded vacuum with the power to do the job.
We don't take it with us. A broom is sufficient.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #17

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Won't buy anymore dustbuster type vacuums!

We purchased the Black and Decker Lithium Flex Vacuum and love it. It's smaller than it looks, and it really, really sucks. The hose makes it much easier to get into small spaces, plus because of the hose it doesn't blow the dirt before you get to it.

Came back from a five week trip out west and used the vacuum a couple of times a week and the battery was still strong.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-14-2019, 03:43 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I use a DeWalt DCV581H. Wet/dry and can be either corded or cordless, though so far I've only used it corded. It's definitely stronger than the older cordless Dysons, though the newer ones are probably stronger than it is (at nearly 5x the price, I should hope so). It's a bit bulky, but it's a nice easy-to-store rectangular shape. Among the portable shopvacs, I think the Milwaukee's very slightly stronger and the Rigid's slightly stronger than it, though at the cost of battery life, noise, and flexibility (I think the DeWalt's the only corded+cordless). If you're already invested in a particular brand of tools and batteries, it's probably best to just stick with it.

Generally speaking, yeah, the 12V vacuums are all going to be basically junk. Just not enough power to get it done. The 18/20V ones with Lithium batteries will be significantly better.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Another vote for the little Dyson hand-held. Takes maybe 30 secs to vac the whole 21; stores in an overhead side cabinet.

As to cabinet storage, you might consider custom dividers and stack your unruly dishes, cups, and glasses.................

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - 2016 GMC Canyon 4x4 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
As to cabinet storage, you might consider custom dividers and stack your unruly dishes, cups, and glasses.................
We have a number of items from Charlie's RVWidgetWorks.com for our 21: upper cabinet dividers, drawer trays, lower cabinet dividers, and slide out drawers for the under bed storage. We find them to be extremely useful in keeping things organized but separate and in place. Collectively, these comprise one of the most useful "options" we have in the trailer. And no, this is not a paid review.

One addition I did make for the lower cabinets: I attached a couple of strips of Velcro loop tape to the back of the lower cabinets with corresponding hook material on the back of the relatively tall, narrow dividers. This allows us to place the dividers exactly where needed without worrying about them sliding around and/or falling over, especially when the cabinets aren't completely filled.

"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you - it's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” - S. Clemens
StanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote