Strong "New" smell/odour - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B, 2015 Highlander
Strong "New" smell/odour

I posed the following question to ETI:

"Is there a distinct strong “new” smell in the trailer after it is manufactured, perhaps from glue to hold down the flooring, or from the foam type insulation on the walls of the trailer? My wife finds that there is a strong smell when the trailer is closed for a period of time."

Rae Warren of ETI parts and service responded:

"There sometimes is a strong odor in the new Escapes caused by the glue that we use for the headliner. This will go away in time."

Our Escape was completed in April 2015 but not picked up by the former owner until June 20 2015. I assume that it sat closed from April to June. Former owners used it (returning from Chilliwack) and on one other excursion, a total of three to four weeks. It sat closed from then to August 24 when we took possession.

My question: Have other Escapees experienced a strong "new " smell for some period of time? As this is the case in our Escape (as it is only 2.5 months "old") how long before the "new"
dissipates? I know some scents/smells bother some people more than others.

Fred Alexander

fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
[SIZE=5]I posed the following question to ETI:
[COLOR=navy][FONT=&quot]
I know some scents/smells bother some people more than others.

Fred Alexander
That's the bottom line and those that notice such things seem to really notice them. We spent 6 weeks of the first 8 weeks of ownership in ours. Did we notice any odours at first? Probably, but it was new and we expected that it'd have a new smell. And believe me, after looking at some used units the new smell was welcome. When did it stop smelling new? Haven't the faintest idea. Just not high on our radar.

I'm sure there'll be responses that cover the range and, as always on this sort of question it'll be interesting to see the variety of opinions people have.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I had to laugh and agree with Ron. I was in a used trailer that was closed up for a period of time and the smell, should I say stench, would have dropped a horse. I have seen some comments on this forum about the fiber glass " bleeding off" and I know some are very sensitive to this type of thing but I am sure it will disappear with time. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Open all the doors/windows, let it sit in the sun with the ceiling fan on full blast and it'll be fine in a week.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
My 19 was built in Dec 2014, picked up March 2015, and still had a very strong "solvent" odor in May when we started using it. A couple month of use and it has no odor, any more. As best I can tell, the smell doesn't dissipate if it is closed up and/or cold.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #6

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
My 19 was built in Dec 2014, picked up March 2015, and still had a very strong "solvent" odor in May when we started using it. A couple month of use and it has no odor, any more. As best I can tell, the smell doesn't dissipate if it is closed up and/or cold.
Ours was built in February and picked up 3 months later. The smell still knocks me for a loop 6 months later - but I do have a nose for solvents. I keep the 2 fan vents open while it is in (outside) storage, but I'm projecting next year until I can breath deeply...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Mine's at the 1 year mark, I don't smell anything, but then I never did. Maybe I just painted too many cars.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I leave the MaxxFan open with the bath window open except when it gets below freezing,
Old 09-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Ours had that new Escape smell for at least the first year, and was strongest after the trailer had been closed up for awhile.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I'm wondering if that is what people call "off gassing." My adult children are very environmentally aware and sensitive to issues in new houses. They were concerned about the fumes from glue, rubber and so forth. I did some easing and apparently you can almost burn it out by running the furnace and getting the trailer really hot. I'm wondering if anyone has done that in a new fiberglass trailer.

LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote