Surge protector - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Surge protector

Are they worth the money and should you get built in or external plug on the post.

Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Kathy View Post
Are they worth the money and should you get built in or external plug on the post.
It's kind of like an insurance policy...worth it if something goes wrong, I guess. I like the display, provides good summary info about the status of the shore power. And during our first week of travel it alerted me to a problem with a shore power connection. I much prefer the built in EMS to yet one more thing I would have to set up and take down at every campsite.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
It’s worth the safety net to me. I wouldn’t plug in at a random campground without one. Both options worth, built in is harder to steal but less portable to a new RV.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Some folks believe a surge protector/ EMS is not necessary and have camped a lot and never been assigned to or had a bad electrical connection. Others have had a couple bad hookups a year. It’s understandable to form your opinion based on your experiences. I had two bad hookups last year. I believe in the surge protector/ EMS just like I do the pressure regulator. Kentucky Horse Park near Lexington KY had
Between 90 and 100 lbs water pressure both times I stayed there. I’d rather have those type of safety devices than say a propane quick connect or an extra couple lights that could be added later. But that’s just me
Iowa Dave
Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape 21'LE DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The nice thing about the EMS is it works while you are not there, all the time, there maybe a surge or under voltage issue while you are away, you are protected. I had a portable unit but found some power setups were too low to the ground to make use easy, the permanent one is more secure and always in use.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA
For cost reasons I went with the portable. Hey if you got the money get the factory installed. I was trying to figure out a way to keep the shiny aluminum wheels in the budget. The way I figured if someone steals the surge protector then I can buy two or three more for the price difference and my portable, I think, is made by the same company that makes the factory installed.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Jim, good you got the shiny wheels but not sure about going the portable route. We had a portable with last trailer but don't think it would have picked up on the bad 30 amp on one post we had on last trip. The built in EMS had two error codes and would not allow me to use power so I just switched to the 50 amp. It was fine.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

Adrian you're probably right and truth be told I have already researched a Progressive industries EMS with all the bells and whistles. I'll also probably insulate the tanks. These and some of the other items I can do myself and in fact I enjoy solving the associated issues. Now if someone is not experienced or lacks the tools and they have the resources then heck yeah get Escape to do the job.
Just came in from going over some of the stuff going to Chilliwack. I'll leave in about 4 1/2 weeks. But nothing will done that sacrifices the shiny wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0194.jpg (300.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19'
If you believe you need it, the advantage of a built in one is that you will not drive away without it.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
If you believe you need it, the advantage of a built in one is that you will not drive away without it.
At my age I'm subject to do such things.